Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCC classing

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:09 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NCCC classing

I've been running SCCA solo2 since 2000 but in two weeks I'll do my first official NCCC event. I'll be joining the NCCC at the event so I don't have a rule book yet and could use a lot of help figuring out their classing. I did a lot of searching online and could not find something definitive. I have an 01 Z06 with T1 sway bars, Koni 3013 shocks, zip-tie mod, harness bar with 6 point harness, and V710s on stock sized wheels.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM
lawyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default nccc

the T-1 bars put you in group 3 where you do not want to be without further modifications.
replace the bars with the stock bars, if the shocks are adjustables then replacewith 04 Z 06 shocks and run group 1
Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Group 3 also requires a minimum of a roll bar. T1 bars put you in 3H. 2J or 1J are much more ideal without additional horsepower.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Or, you could do like I do. Build your car the way YOU want it, and then just run Exhibition class. I've been doing that for twenty years. There's no sensible class for my cars (turbo C4 and a C3 with a five speed). I don't give a rat's *** about points, and as long as I'm paying the bills, the car gets built the way I want it.
Your choice. Your car the way you want it, or your car the way someone else says it should be.
Just my opinion.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69427
Or, you could do like I do. Build your car the way YOU want it, and then just run Exhibition class. I've been doing that for twenty years. There's no sensible class for my cars (turbo C4 and a C3 with a five speed). I don't give a rat's *** about points, and as long as I'm paying the bills, the car gets built the way I want it.
Your choice. Your car the way you want it, or your car the way someone else says it should be.
Just my opinion.
I agree. Some of the NCCC rules are ridiculous. If you put a big brake kit without roll bars you can only run in the Exhibition class. The NCCC wants to preserve the Corvette "heritage" by demanding all Corvette parts or else.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:58 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by petefias
I agree. Some of the NCCC rules are ridiculous. If you put a big brake kit without roll bars you can only run in the Exhibition class. The NCCC wants to preserve the Corvette "heritage" by demanding all Corvette parts or else.
I think that may be a bit harsh. I have yet to see a "perfect" sanctioning body or organization. NCCC is not unlike any of the others. People bitch about Nasa,Scca, and many others I'm sure. You can't make everyone happy. Not that I agree with everything but I do think it's a fun and safe organization regardless of class.

Best advice that can be given is do what you want. If you want competition find the biggest class and get a car for it. If you just want to have fun run what you brung in EX.

RP permits just about any corvette bodied car to run. So your statement of "Corvette Parts or else'' is stretching it a little.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I should have been more clear. I have absolutely no interest in setting my car up for NCCC classes, as my local chapter does 1 event a year. I just needed to know where my current mods placed me. Exhibition class it is. Good to know I would need a rollbar for Group 3 as I was rumored I would be placed.

I am in the early process of cutting the car from SS to SM2 due to making the car more fun on the track. So over the winter that means Radiator with EOC, headers with xpipe and no cats, tune, etc. I've lost interest in setting my car up for strict autocross classing, SCCA or NCCC, but I still love participating.

Last edited by TommyBoy72; 09-16-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:30 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I should have been more clear. I have absolutely no interest in setting my car up for NCCC classes, as my local chapter does 1 event a year. I just needed to know where my current mods placed me. Exhibition class it is. Good to know I would need a rollbar for Group 3 as I was rumored I would be placed.

I am in the early process of cutting the car from SS to SM2 due to making the car more fun on the track. So over the winter that means Radiator with EOC, headers with xpipe and no cats, tune, etc. I've lost interest in setting my car up for strict autocross classing, SCCA or NCCC, but I still love participating.

Best of luck to you! It's fun to run a vette course with all vettes running.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Wouldn't TommyBoy's T1 bars put him in Group II, if the adjustable end links were swapped out with non-adjustable ones?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by acrace
Wouldn't TommyBoy's T1 bars put him in Group II, if the adjustable end links were swapped out with non-adjustable ones?
The current rulebook says for Goup 2

"Any Corvette or aftermarket if same size, shape and type mounting that came on any Corvette except no mixing of bars between" generations, and "Can be heim jointed. No adjustable mount"

I've always been confused on the "no adjustable mount" part, I assume "mount" is the mounting to the frame, not the end links. I assume that if heim joints can be used that they could be adjustable.

The new rulebook looks like it is going to allow anything:

"Any diameter sway bar allowed. May be Heim jointed. May have adjustable sway bar end-links." Groups 2+

Although I wouldn't assume the new rule is going to stay that way until the book is printed.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
The current rulebook says for Goup 2

"Any Corvette or aftermarket if same size, shape and type mounting that came on any Corvette except no mixing of bars between" generations, and "Can be heim jointed. No adjustable mount"

I've always been confused on the "no adjustable mount" part, I assume "mount" is the mounting to the frame, not the end links. I assume that if heim joints can be used that they could be adjustable.

The new rulebook looks like it is going to allow anything:

"Any diameter sway bar allowed. May be Heim jointed. May have adjustable sway bar end-links." Groups 2+

Although I wouldn't assume the new rule is going to stay that way until the book is printed.
Are the T1 bars not larger in diameter than the stock Z06 bars therefore moving him to group III????
Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72

Man the world & the NCCC needs more people like you just "come out & participate"
Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina C4 Racer
Are the T1 bars not larger in diameter than the stock Z06 bars therefore moving him to group III????
yes they are bigger thus group III
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by acrace
Al,
God Luck in Topeka
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

That was my point; acrace asked if they would be ok for 2, and I posted the current G2 rule regarding the diameter to answer him that they would not. I'll be more clear in the future.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
That was my point; acrace asked if they would be ok for 2, and I posted the current G2 rule regarding the diameter to answer him that they would not. I'll be more clear in the future.
OK. Sorry I missed your point.
Sometimes I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Man the world & the NCCC needs more people like you just "come out & participate"
Thanks. I'd say the same for the SCCA and PCA here. So many people that hate to lose more than they like to play...go figure. Sadly so much so that an average regional driver like me can still top 5 PAX even horribly misclassed in SM2 with the above mods.

Get notified of new replies

To NCCC classing

Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The biggest problem with the NCCC classing is there are too many classes. They need to cut out about 90% of the classes. Most of our events end up with one competitor in each class so the running is for FTD instead of class wins as the class wins mean nothing.

Bill
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The biggest problem with the NCCC classing is there are too many classes. They need to cut out about 90% of the classes. Most of our events end up with one competitor in each class so the running is for FTD instead of class wins as the class wins mean nothing.

Bill

but running for FTD is what it is all about
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67

but running for FTD is what it is all about
Ain't that right Pancho!!!

Quick Reply: NCCC classing