Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excess oil from Z06 tranny HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
GAS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Excess oil from Z06 tranny HELP!!!

I have an MN6 tranny in the Z06 and it constantly drips oil. Went to Ohio NASA Nationals and made a point to keep the oil below the fill line. After three days of running I had oil all over the back of the car on the third day (1st two days nothing) and when I checked the tranny it was 1/2 to 3/4 quarts over full. I am running the LG tranny cooler and I am wondering can it be foaming the oil or does oil somehow expand??? All I know is I have had this same problem on several occassions and I know it is not because we are starting with the tranny to full.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

The tranny has a pop-off valve on top. If you overtemp it the oil will come out. I was black flagged for it a few years back.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pop-off = vent tube......Geoff , I told you this was happening.. You could remedy this by relocating the vent tube and mounting it higher in the car somewhere ( like behind the tailights) with something like this.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

or this

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

I plan on doing something like this myself, as my car was doing the same thing last week........My autocross car also did/does the same thing.

Geoff...We need to beat on Craig to buy a Corvette .....

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 09-24-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
GAS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think one oil might be less susceptable to foaming than another? What I can't figure out is why, after two days of cooling would you still have an extra 1/2 or 3/4 quart??? It would seem that after cooling it should go back to its original volume???

Yep, I'll certainly work on him from this end but I doubt he will listen to me....there has to be a reason they ran my end of the family out of OHIO!!!!

Congrats again on your win on Sunday. You were/are the cream of the crop in w2w!

Geff
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not ultra familiar with the LG transcooler set-up, but I'd like to be. My car has no coolers on it right now, but if you have the LG Motorsports cooler that runs off the back of the differential, I believe this to be the best system....to hell with all of the electrics, too much wieght.

I am sure that you know this , but if that is a mechanical drive system, I would think that you would have to have the car running and in gear so that the diff pump is running to fill the system and check the oil level while the pump is operating. Otherwise , I am sure there wil be a drain-back condition overfilling the case.

As far as fluid foaming, I have been using the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I have the same thing going on as you though, so...... I am sure that relocating the transmission vent higher will help.

Or maybe you have some blockage which is preventing the "filling" of the cooler that you are using....that would cause the case fluid level to be high also..

Anyhow, Craig still needs a Corvette...I think I'll call him, I know where a nice SCCA ASP modded car is...It is even black like yours. He seemed to be intrigued by the activities in TT last week.

Get notified of new replies

To Excess oil from Z06 tranny HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Excess oil from Z06 tranny HELP!!!