Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Opinion Of Carolina Motorsports Park Track Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Your Opinion Of Carolina Motorsports Park Track Please

I am thinking of running my first event at CMP in a couple of months. It is a fairly long 6+ hour tow for me from Virginia. I have heard / read several negative comments about the track and facilities. They are making improvements to the track to speed it up in a couple of turns. What are your experiences - is it worth the tow down there ??
Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

'Been there once. It has a few challenging turns that make you think; a nice kink in the straight, a couple of >90 degree narrow curves, changing of elevations to settle/unsettle suspension. The only real annoyance is the sand pit that gets stirred up by any wind. If you run a bra on the car, you may want to carry it.

Do it and have fun. One can never experience too many tracks.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:12 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Go to VIR....do NOT run your first event at CMP. I admittedly hate the track, but for your first event, you definitely want to run a track with rhythm and speed, and one that won't destroy your brakes and tires in a single event.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The event at CMP will not be my first track event -- I have run over 50 events (112 days) in the last 4 years. This will be my first time to drive this particular road course.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

sorry, misinterpreted your statement.

I've been doing this for 15 years, and I'd never go back to CMP even though it's 1 hr away. A local autocross is just as fullfilling.

with Rd Atlanta, Roebling, Lowes, Rockingham, VIR, High Rock (coming), and Summit within a half days drive, CMP would be the bottom of my personal list.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with David and I only go once a year just to work out new issues with the car. The track is pretty crummy overall. Worst part, however, is the sand. It will destroy your windshield in a Vette in 2 days. If it is windy then it will only take a few sessions. Tires and brakes are another issue. The pits are sand with a little grass and a mess.

There is no place to stay that isn't 30-45 minutes from the track and no food locally.

They reworked portions of the track but that didn't accomplish much. With that much track time already I could think of a lot better things to do than drive 12+ hours for 3-4 hours of time on that track.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
sorry, misinterpreted your statement.

I've been doing this for 15 years, and I'd never go back to CMP even though it's 1 hr away. A local autocross is just as fullfilling.

with Rd Atlanta, Roebling, Lowes, Rockingham, VIR, High Rock (coming), and Summit within a half days drive, CMP would be the bottom of my personal list.

You trip me out with your hatred of CMP. I hate Roebling that way.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:13 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I like CMP, lots of run off room if you get in trouble and a fun track. I have not run the new course. But I found the old one very challenging and had a good time there. Usually stay at the Colonial Inn in town, about a 25 minute drive to the track. Not that I would go there over VIR and Road Atlanta, but the people are nice and you may want to check to see if Turn One Track events is running that weekend??? They usually run on the Friday before some events and you can get in Three days to make the trip worth while. JD
Old 02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have and will drive down from Raleigh to do CMP again. the New (slightly different) configuration should be interesting.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Varkwso and I are here this weekend and I'm sure he'll write up a review of the new layout and facilites. I'll try to get a vid posted as soon as I get a chance.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new track layout is much smoother and flows better. The patches on the old parts are great. There is almost too much grip and my SO4s are sticking like sticker tires - I ran a 1:46x yesterday in the FRC. The paddock has a lot of new paving and track millings on the unpaved sections - much less sand, the garages are fanstastic. They have seeded a lot of the sand around the track - hopefully that will help the blowing sand problem.

The track management team is outstanding and that makes it a fun place to run at.

I also really like Roebling.

Sent from the wireless connection at CMP...

Last edited by varkwso; 02-03-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 AM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Used to hate old configuration. Not sure what the sand complaints are other than it's not nearly as "polished" as other facilities. Been there dozen times plus and have rented place out with handful of friends multiple times. I'm in Charlotte so it's only an hour's drive which is the big plus. Saw aerial photos of re config of track and I think it will go a long way towards changing my view of the track for the positive. I hated that back section. Way too tight and that's partly what killed your brakes. Also looks like they've made dramatic improvements to infield. People are always nice there.

By the way, I love Roebling too.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
T e n w t a k l y ut i m c h s ot er nd f o s b t er. T p ch s o t e . Th re st t mu gr ip....

Se t f om t e w r le s c n ec on a C P...
Jeff, check your connection. It appears that maybe only part of the transmission is coming through.

Oh, that's right, you're at CMP. I'll try to fill in the blanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Jeff, check your connection. It appears that maybe only part of the transmission is coming through.

Oh, that's right, you're at CMP. I'll try to fill in the blanks.
Funny, clear as a bell on this end....

Your TTA record is going down....

Get notified of new replies

To Your Opinion Of Carolina Motorsports Park Track Please

Quick Reply: Your Opinion Of Carolina Motorsports Park Track Please