Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Lap 08 updates

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

varkwso and 1lapRacer:

Not to toot my own horn (and my brother's), but to toot our own horn...

We did win the SSGT2 Bigbore in 2004 with my 1996 C4. Finished 9th overall as well.

450 HP, Koni's, Z07 bars, PFC 01's from M2001, 275 F1 SC's on all four.

I wonder if it had been done previously as well...unsure. In our previous running in 2001 we were classed in SSGT1 due to price cap differences-my car barely sneaked under the $40k level ($39K and change window sticker!) in 2004.

I think it could easily be done again by another different team effort...better driver, better brakes, more power.

Just finishing it is a huge accomplishment...hard on everything!

Last edited by No Go; 05-25-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Ojustracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No Go
varkwso and 1lapRacer:

Not too toot my own horn (and my brother's), but to toot our own horn...

We did win the SSGT2 Bigbore in 2004 with my 1996 C4. Finished 9th overall as well.

I wonder if it had been done previously as well...unsure. In our previous running in 2001 we were classed in SSGT1 due to price cap differences-my car barely sneaked under the $40k level ($39K and change window sticker!) in 2004.

I think it could easily be done again...better driver, better brakes, more power.

Hey Tim good to hear from you again. 2004 was a fun yr. Your vette was well driven. I just didnt know enough to give you a run in Class..

Tim over the last couple of yr's the cars a bit farther back from the top have really picked up the pace. Its really fun to go to a track and run 18th and only be 1/2 sec out of 12th its just pushed me to drive faster/take more chances. But for us this yr finding out the car was missing close to 100rwhp a week after the event, always brings up what things could of been. So much for being ECO freindly, it will never happen again.

John O

Last edited by Ojustracing; 05-25-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:49 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

varkwso and 1lapRacer:

Not too toot my own horn (and my brother's), but to toot our own horn...

I think it could easily be done again...better driver, better brakes, more power.

and it would win again
Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

:o

I should clarify about the "I think it could easily be done again...better driver, better brakes, more power."

Not inferring my team...but another effort...could win since we didn't have a ton of power, lousy brakes, and a mediocre pilot...ie if we could do it...anyone can.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

John: Glad to see you are able to still pursue the 'dream.' Each year I see the write up and images...an event that is pure heaven from a track/car enthusiast point of view. I've returned to the US so maybe in 09 or 10 I can try it again with my aging C4.

Still running those snowmobiles on the wrong surface?

Great event that one has to experience to believe...driving ~9-11 different tracks, ~15-18 events (however short), 4500 miles all in 7 days. I see folks at local autocrosses that can't even get thru more than 2 runs before problems crop up.

There is a reason why the drag times aren't the fastest we've seen, or track times aren't all track records, or why so many DNF...

Last edited by No Go; 05-25-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Ojustracing
Instructor

John: Glad to see you are able to still pursue the 'dream.' Each year I see the write up and images...an event that is pure heaven from a track/car enthusiast point of view. I've returned to the US so maybe in 09 or 10 I can try it again with my aging C4.

Still running those snowmobiles on the wrong surface?

Great event that one has to experience to believe...driving ~9-11 different tracks, ~15-18 events (however short), 4500 miles all in 7 days. I see folks at local autocrosses that can't even get thru more than 2 runs before problems crop up.

There is a reason why the drag times aren't the fastest we've seen, or track times aren't all track records, or why so many DNF...

Tim I've taken some time off from the sleds on the wrong surface. Family has to come first and daycare is through the roof. But I do have a project in the works I've been trying to get done for a friend. 8.20's at 165mph+

Tim after running in 2004 nothing has come close in miles. To anybody that ran in 04 you know what im talking about. Back then we covered aprox 6500 miles in 8 days, this yr we covered 4300 ish. There were only 71 car that started, so we were down 15-20. More had issues.

More people are bring bigger and bader stuff to this event. The top 5-7 guys laps are close to what they have run in the past but the cars just a few spots 12th-20th are gaining ground and its closer competion. 1/2 to 1 sec makes a big difference in finishing order. Now this doesnt work at all tracks but my 20th place finish at NPR this yr, would of been a top 10 run in 06 under close to the same conditions.

Hope to see you back in the near future, I hope to be also back with another ride next yr without the power issue's.

John
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
PowerPro01
Intermediate

Having been involved in this event since '91, as participant/Team manager-organizer, and having seen the constant escalation of talent and equipment, what might have worked this year will likely fall short of the mark next year...

If you think 100 extra horses would have been the magic pill, next year will likely require 125-150...and that major addition requires upgrade in many other areas, regardless of vehicle chosen.

No one has brought more powerful and/or outrageous, gotta-win-on-paper, hot rods than Ron Adee, yet his two Overall wins were with closer-to-original-than-scratch-built cars.

The transit stages, regardless of distance or weather; all-weather capability (cost Danny @ Texas, cost Lingenfelter's Silver Bullet T/A the same way at Putnam Park years ago); LOTS of power without ANY breakage; chassis thoroughly scienced, nut-'n-bolted, and brakes that don't break...and a driver who KNOWS the car, the tracks, his limits, their limits, and can sleep with their eyes W I D E open...

Other than those few things, and a magic horseshoe, "No prob, Bob!"

Woulda/coulda/shoulda...never heard more often than at One Lap post mortems...
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Ojustracing
Instructor

Originally Posted by PowerPro01
Having been involved in this event since '91, as participant/Team manager-organizer, and having seen the constant escalation of talent and equipment, what might have worked this year will likely fall short of the mark next year...

If you think 100 extra horses would have been the magic pill, next year will likely require 125-150...and that major addition requires upgrade in many other areas, regardless of vehicle chosen.

No one has brought more powerful and/or outrageous, gotta-win-on-paper, hot rods than Ron Adee, yet his two Overall wins were with closer-to-original-than-scratch-built cars.

The transit stages, regardless of distance or weather; all-weather capability (cost Danny @ Texas, cost Lingenfelter's Silver Bullet T/A the same way at Putnam Park years ago); LOTS of power without ANY breakage; chassis thoroughly scienced, nut-'n-bolted, and brakes that don't break...and a driver who KNOWS the car, the tracks, his limits, their limits, and can sleep with their eyes W I D E open...

Other than those few things, and a magic horseshoe, "No prob, Bob!"

Woulda/coulda/shoulda...never heard more often than at One Lap post mortems...
Hey Dan great Job.

Dan you are correct on all parts and are a better person to comment on what goes on during the wk. .
Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Rick Potter still running around in his crazy One Lap prepped RX-7? Or the Guimont brothers? Or Burl in his 911? Sorry, couldn't resist inquiring when I see Kingston, ON. Miss autocrossing with those guys.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
PowerPro01
Intermediate

The St. Lawrence Auto Club has enjoyed, over it's roughly-50 year history, MANY fine drivers, and your examples are merely a few of those. Potter still runs the screamin' yella RX7 (won SSGT 2 @ OLOA a few years back, and his first OLOA was as my replacement in '93 when my Father died the day the '93 Event started...). I drove with Marc Guimont in OLOA in '99 when Pontiac-GMC built us a SEMA-One Lap concept truck called "Syclone 2" (we won truck/SUV).

BTW, I'm Bob Gibson, Danny's former co-driver (took him on his first One Lap in '91, when we created the Cancer-fundraising "Tour for the Cure")/Team Manager/Organizer (since the mid-'90's). I created/shot/wrote the GM High Performance Magazine project for Danny's "white-hot" Firebirds (Second Overall in '98, matching the Lingenfelter "Silver Bullet's" best finish for "pony cars"), as well as VETTE Magazine's "Project One Lap Z06" for Danny's current ACP c/f Widebody/Lingenfelter TT ride (Danny's past finishes witnessed by Jason Haines of LPE, which certainly helped bring them on-board).

Danny Corcoran is simply (?!) a humble, congenial guy who's a credit to OLOA (18-straight), motorsports (giving/sharing/approachable), philanthropy (annual fundraising exceeding $300,000-total), and humanity (always bright 'n cheery 'n approacable, no matter what...). It is with great humility that I consider him a friend...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

In 2002 John Boos finished 3rd overall and first in SSGT2 in a 1986 Vette with a 383 cu motor. He missed second overall by 5 points.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
PowerPro01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Rick Potter still running around in his crazy One Lap prepped RX-7? Or the Guimont brothers? Or Burl in his 911? Sorry, couldn't resist inquiring when I see Kingston, ON. Miss autocrossing with those guys.
...and your Dad is my Optomitrist...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
PowerPro01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
In 2002 John Boos finished 3rd overall and first in SSGT2 in a 1986 Vette with a 383 cu motor. He missed second overall by 5 points.
Correct.

My point was/is, no solid-axle "pony car" has EVER won the One Lap...

The C4's were moved "down" to SSGT 2, arbitrarily, when that Class' MSRP ceiling was raised from $30,000 to $35,000 Base Price (and since moved to $40,000), which opened the Class to many heretofore SSGT 1 cars, including Potter's RX7 and the Rippie/Cottrell-massaged C4...

This "invasion", combined with Adee's '03 win in an ACP/MTI Z07, was what pushed Corcoran to "rationalize" the retirement of the white 'Bird and underwrite the "Project One Lap Z06" which debut'd in '04, a car AND entrant who again enjoy perennial Top Five (and generally Best 'Vette) status...

The "common element" between the two Projects? Yup...Gary Claudio of Corvette Racing, who was the Media Communications Manager @ Pontiac back in '94-5, and who donated a then-prototype WS6 RamAir set-up for Danny's 1-of-2-ever-built 1LE '95 Formula (along with a bagfull of contacts and his replacement, Mark Hitchins), and who directed us to Gib Hufsteader and the "World Of Stock-framed Corvette Racers and Suppliers"...

Thanks, again, Gary...

Last edited by PowerPro01; 05-27-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PowerPro01
...and your Dad is my Optomitrist...
Ah, how I wish, but he's long passed on I'm afraid.

Thanks for the update on those folks and if you run across them at the track or an autocross please tell them I say "Hello" if they even remember me. Sad to say that I don't believe I met yourself or Danny back then...

At one point I was seriously looking to buy that RX7 from Rick, and Marc and one of the MCO guys (at another point) had me thinking about building a 240Z for the track... I left the area about the time Rick started getting in to karting. I have fond memories of Rick taking me for a ride around Shannonville in that RX7.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

varkwso and 1lapRacer:

Not to toot my own horn (and my brother's), but to toot our own horn...

I think it could easily be done again by another different team effort...better driver, better brakes, more power.

Sorry I had overlooked your accomplishment! That car is prime to win SSGT2 in 2009. How about we get a group of C4's together to take on all of the stangs? Anyone else in?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 PM
PowerPro01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Ah, how I wish, but he's long passed on I'm afraid.

I'm sorry to hear that...and sorry, too, for the confusion...

I was thinking you might be Dr. Paul McCreary's son, but there IS a difference in spelling...my bad!

Paul owns, among many interesting toys, a streetable mid-'60's Corvair with an LT1, amidship... Helluva autoX car on Hoosiers...

Shifter karts...now THERE'S a thrill...

Quick Reply: One Lap 08 updates