Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech and Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been racing on Carbotech pads for several years now with the C5 corvette, our 350Z, a Z28 Camaro and now with a Honda S2000. We have never had a pad delaminate, chunk, wedge in the caliper or anything else bad. We also have never had any problems with excess wear on the rotors. We have used Hawk and Performance Friction with very mixed results. Carbotech are, no question, the best pads we have every raced on and if any other company gave us pads for free or paid us to use them we would stick with Carbotech. Not only do they work but we get quick delivery when we phone in an order. They do every thing Danny says they do and more. Bob Hines
Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome aboard Danny!

I ran Carbotech XP12/XP10's on the car for my first 8 races this year and have nothing but great things to say about them. They stopped consistently, fast, and didn't wear the rotors any worse than other high-performance pads I've used in the past. Great product, and they've been helpful any time I approached them at the track for advice.

No doubt an asset to the forum.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Danny my two sets of XP10 fronts arrived today (to replace the pads I borrowed when ZO6Cool was not looking)...

I find the XP10s are fine for track use in front (8s in back) and I even like the XP8s all around for track and street use.

Glad to see you are on the forum...

So do you make pads for a 1983 Supra?

jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Have you tried XP8 on front and stock Z06 on back? Right now I run HP+ on front so I wonder if XP8 would last longer or stop any better or be any more rotor friendly.
I have not. I note that my rotors last around four-five events though, with my setup. For $30 rotors, that's not bad.

I note that the less brake I use, the faster I go.

I think that while the stock pads are rotor friendly, I don't know the characteristics of them as well as I know the XP8s. Predictable == good, so I run the 10/8 combo.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Are you running cooling ducts with this setup? Also are you on streets or R-compunds?

Thanks,

Eric
Hoosiers or Toyo RA-1 tires, no ducts yet. Planned late 08 or early 09 mod.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I have been using Carbotech on my Viper since August. Love them! I used them on my C5 as well, loved them then too!

The only issue I have with the company is this guy from the Cleveland area by the name of Mike ...otherwise all is good.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Hoosiers or Toyo RA-1 tires, no ducts yet. Planned late 08 or early 09 mod.

Thanks.

I'm just wondering if the 10/8 combo is to much for street tires.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
Hey Danny my two sets of XP10 fronts arrived today (to replace the pads I borrowed when ZO6Cool was not looking)...
So that's where they got to. You said you hadn't seen them... You also said you haven't seen my new 24V impact wrench, my new toolbox loaded with new MAC tools, and some sticker Kumho tires. I should be seeing those replaced too, right...
Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at BHP too.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
Welcome aboard Danny!

I ran Carbotech XP12/XP10's on the car for my first 8 races this year and have nothing but great things to say about them. They stopped consistently, fast, and didn't wear the rotors any worse than other high-performance pads I've used in the past. Great product, and they've been helpful any time I approached them at the track for advice.

No doubt an asset to the forum.
Same here. I like them. I track on the Vredestein street tires, and this combo works really well for me. Not too much initial bite for my tires or skill and the pads last the full 30 min without a lot of fade.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Danny,

Welcome to the forum. I'll be calling you soon to chat, the season has been going pretty well for us!!

To all,

No matter what product is brought to the table there will be mixed reviews. However, I think when it comes to brake pads most of the major companies are all good, the difference lies in how you drive. Finding a pad that suits your style of driving more than anything is important. For me, Carbotechs have been golden. Danny and the crew are there when you need them, quick with orders and receptive to input. The product works. I don't see the abnormal wear that many speak of, I don't worry about rotors/pads not lasting a race weekend and I don't worry about the brakes when i do something stupid and overcook a braking zone. The ceramics used seem to shield calipers and fluid from heat a bit better than other pads, a bonus IMHO. As racerbob stated in an earlier post, theses pads simply do not come apart, they literally work down to the backing plate!

Joe
Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Thanks.

I'm just wondering if the 10/8 combo is to much for street tires.
No - I run it often.

ZO6cool - I have no recollection of such events....

sleeper02Z06 - I have run them till you can see the rotor through the backing plate holes ....it still seemed to stop OK at VIR .... it stopped much better with fresh pads though...
Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Gary96LT4
Great news! I've been using the XP10 and XP12s in front and XP8s in the rear for about four+ years now. Only pad I'll use on the track!
OK ... CW appears to be one grade difference F/R, e.g., 10/8; 12/10.
Case: C5Z with stock calipers, cooling ducts, Titanium backing plates ... running 10/8 with stock tires and with 100 grade Nitto 555 RII's ...
Felt a little short on braking into turn one at WGI on Nittos's last Aug ... so:
Has anyone run 12/8?
(I have new 10/8 combo to go on when needed; need to get another spare set of front pads as they go faster ...; will get 12's if I get a on this question; else 10's ...
Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
OK ... CW appears to be one grade difference F/R, e.g., 10/8; 12/10.
Case: C5Z with stock calipers, cooling ducts, Titanium backing plates ... running 10/8 with stock tires and with 100 grade Nitto 555 RII's ...
Felt a little short on braking into turn one at WGI on Nittos's last Aug ... so:
Has anyone run 12/8?
(I have new 10/8 combo to go on when needed; need to get another spare set of front pads as they go faster ...; will get 12's if I get a on this question; else 10's ...
I have been known to run whatever used pad I have in my "track box" at times but I would not use that much split on purpose...but to be honest I did not see a real performace difference from XP10 to XP12. Pad taper is what causes most of my pedal feel problems - no the fault of any pad...
Old 05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by varkwso
I have been known to run whatever used pad I have in my "track box" at times but I would not use that much split on purpose...but to be honest I did not see a real performace difference from XP10 to XP12. Pad taper is what causes most of my pedal feel problems - no the fault of any pad...
Thanks, Jeff ... so I take it your experience has been that the backing plates on XP10 and XP12's are equally ineffective? ...
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Thanks, Jeff ... so I take it your experience has been that the backing plates on XP10 and XP12's are equally ineffective? ...
Backing plates are really heat dependent I have found....it matters more than the original compound
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

How thin can I go on pad material before changing to fresh pads? I pull wheels & check b4 EACH event. This is for autox, not track. So we are talking about 3-4 one mile runs (Champ event) to maybe 20 one mile runs (practice day)

Thanks.

Anyone?

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech and Corvette...

Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been watching this thread to see if Dan would stop in again to answer some of the questions brought up, but nothing so far? I guess it's time for a PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:01 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Anyone?
I go really, really thin. Generally, my pads taper enough that when the first corner hits the plate, they're done. Now, that's DE usage, not racing. For a race, I'd want a bit more of a heat mass than that, so I'd replace when down to 1/4 width or so.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:07 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I pulled the 12/10's off when they get down around 1/4" left. They still work okay at that point, but fresh ones are noticably better.

Quick Reply: Carbotech and Corvette...