Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolex race, SpeedGT @ the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Rolex race, SpeedGT @ the Glen

I'll be heading up for the Rolex race this weekend.

Anyone else going?

Never been there before, where's a good place to watch?

http://www.theglen.com/
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default glen- where to watch

top of the grandstands outside of turn 2

top of the esses, on the inside.

inside of the boot-- where cars head into the "top of the boot"- lot of passing areas to watch

Beauty of a road course is that you can wander all over the place. The Glen is huge-- it's a lot of walking if you want to cover it all. use the warmup and practice sessions to get a feel for the course.

I've listed the places to watch based on my preferences from both racing there and spectating.

have fun! Bring rain gear-- the weather can change quickly up there.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2 and the boot are where I watched from long, long ago when we took the F1600 up there. But that was long enough ago I could stand at the fence and have the cars whiz by about 25ft away.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to cheer for the 91 car!!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I like to walk the course from the infield. There are a lot of campers at some of the events and they try to block off their campsite but I will walk along the fence and view what I want to see even though they have the site blocked. I have never had any of them say anything. Check the track map out when you get there as it shows pedestrian tunnels under the track in convenient places. Be prepared to get your feet wet though as there is some water in them at times.

The spots mentioned in the other posts are excellent also. With the 6 hour event you have time to walk and see all of the great features of the track. I like to watch the cars coming up the back straight and making their entrance into the bus stop, the toe of the boot from inside and outside (on the outside you can get all the way down to the turn flagger station), the berm at turn 11 lets you see the cars coming through T10 across the pit in straight and then go away from you down the front straight. In the infield again there is a good place to watch the cars come out of 1 and run across the straight to T2 and the esses. The esses are great to watch from below and on top by the grandstands. If they have them up the Turn 10 grandstands are a nice place to watch for a while also.

If you avoid grandstand seats you can see a lot of great racing for a low cost and actually see better than the people in the grandstands. Grandstands are for oval tracks and people who don't know what to look for.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Rolex race, SpeedGT @ the Glen

Quick Reply: Rolex race, SpeedGT @ the Glen