Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
vetterosexual
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carpet Protection

Hey there,

There have been a few threads about using carpet protection film being used as a temporary plastic shield at the track...on the below thread, I said I would try it out and report back

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...pet+protection

Well, I used it at a track event last weekend and it worked great! Even though it is designed to be carpet protection, it seems like it works great for this purpose. It was a little tricky to put on, but I could cover a larger area much faster than with blue tape and it doesn't look so ghetto. Since it was the first time using it, I didn't go nuts with putting it everywhere - I just put it behind the rear wheels and a couple test strips on the front to be safe:

When I stopped at the gas station on the way home, it peeled off pretty easily. The area behind the rear wheels was really dirty and had tons of rubber "marbles" sticking to it. Was cool to just throw them away.

Anyway, I mail ordered it from the company below and they have some smaller rolls than what they show on their web site. The guy I spoke with said they would make a special deal for us track junkies to try it and report back to help them with R&D for on offering a a specific product for this. Just email them through their web site and they'll hook you up.

Carpet Protector by Plasticover

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for posting the update. It will be helpful for track newbies especially. I use something similar with great results. It's just shelf paper from Wal*mart. Works like a champ.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
AntneeD
Racer

Thanks for the update!

No harm at all to your paint? Wonder if it will hold up and not affect the paint on a long highway trip? Thats the big test.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Plasticover wants to work with the track folks ...

I used walmart film last year at WGI and it did not stay on well.
I have a roll of the carpet protection plastic on order and plan on trying it at VIR. 24" x 200' . It's more expensive ... but I'm tired of putting on blue tape.
I exchanged emails with Paul @ plasticover and told him my objectives.
He responded, and here's the deal:

"If you'd like, you can circulate the coupon code 'trackplastic' which will give any purchaser 25% off on the product cost of their order.

The only thing we ask is that they provide feedback directly to us first to help tune a product for your use. We'd like to have the opportunity to get the feedback and make adjustments to the product first rather than putting out any bad press on the forums. of course, if you love it, we have no object ions to that....

Please let us know how it works. For carpet, it is rated for 60 days of use but we would not recommend that on an automobile surface. We'd recommend starting with 1 day of use, 2 days max as it is untested on this surface and we do not assume any risk for this trial use."

I plan on laying on a good wax base before applying ... and I'm going to put it on Sat late afternoon and (if it stays on) take it off Tues evening.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Just make sure to lay the edges down well or tape them - get some dirt/sand in there and it turns into sand paper.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:03 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I can see the sun baking that material on there.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used 'Contact' brand translucent shelf paper several times and it worked very well, adhered well, and pulled up without any problems - no paint damage, no glue marks.

This spring I ran out of the Contact and finished with a generic brand, which was more clear. It looked a little better, but was MUCH harder to pull off and it left adhesive marks and gue that were rather hard to clean off - but they did come off.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do a search and you'll find a few people (including me) that have had this film damage the paint. Not sure how it happened but it has happened to more than one person. Be careful with it.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:59 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by the blur
I can see the sun baking that material on there.
Sun baking has not been an issue for me even on black paint. I was at Barber this weekend for 2 days with nearly 100* temps and it peeled off nice and easy.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:01 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I picked up a couple of rolls of 3" clear tape from Ron at Discovery Parts this past weekend and will try it out next month at CMP. He said it was specifically designed for track use. I'll post my findings afterwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet Protection

Quick Reply: Carpet Protection