Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone every hire/have a photographer at HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Anyone every hire/have a photographer at HPDE?

We were thinking of having one....anyone done it?

You pay them? You just offer them the opportunity and they set their own prices?

On one hand it seems very lucrative for them depending on the response...45 people, 25 of them take photo's...$25 for professional 8x10s.

Thats $625 for the day, minus their costs...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by NoOne
We were thinking of having one....anyone done it?

You pay them? You just offer them the opportunity and they set their own prices?

On one hand it seems very lucrative for them depending on the response...45 people, 25 of them take photo's...$25 for professional 8x10s.

Thats $625 for the day, minus their costs...
I know Track Time Photos attends NASA/PDA events in the Northeast. You can get event CD's ($45.00) that contains all of the event pictures, plus you can purchase various size prints or JPEGS from them as well. They do nice work!

Last edited by Hardcorvette; 06-08-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

VIR has a contract with F & S. http://www.fandsenterprises.com/

Tell them what you would like and they will get it for you
Old 06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

There are 3 photographers for every photography job. You shouldn't need to pay them if you get them a chance for income.

Like Tom said, some photographers are teamed up with particular tracks.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's the guy that covers Portland International Raceway

http://www.onsightproductions.net/

I assume there are similar companies all over the states.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

These guys are fantastic:

http://users.ameritech.net/mikessp/index.html

But they may only be available for larger events. They were at the Audi Club HPDE at Daytona last December.

Bob
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Eric,

There's a guy that covers at least a few HPDE's in the area. Hector is his name and he runs www.00photo.com. He has covered a few events that I have been to at Gingerman and Grattan. I'm not sure how it works for the club, but he then sells a DVD with all the high-res pictures of your car for around $60. Sometimes he has discounts if you pre-order before the actual event. Examples are on his web site.

Dan
Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

When I was at Grattan in 2001 there was a guy who took pictures & sold them out of his trailer. I was out of cash that day. I ran into the same guy at GingerMan a few months later. He looked up the event date on his PC and burned a disc containing about 20 hi-res pictures of my car for $20. In fact the picutre of my GS at the left is one of his. I just looked at the CD. No name. Maybe track manger would know who he is.

It was not Photo's by Edmund. He does Road America mostly, but he might travel for the right deal.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks for the leads....we'll look into them.

The one place looked fantastic but I think a photographer showing up with a rig larger than our particpants might be out of our price range
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Eric - the guy mentioned above (00photo) does many Grattan events. He does not charge to show up, just for the pictures. He often show up at Grattan unsolicited, he does the AROC events I attend without being asked.

I'm sure if you let him know he will come, and his shots are top notch. I assume the contact info is on the website.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never hired one but there are generally one or two 'track' photographers at the events I go to. One is considerably more expensive than the other but they but do excellent work.

I would think an enterprising photographer would make arrangements to work through the HPDE event sponsor. It seems lots of guys want photos of their car on the track...especially the first times they track the car.

Other than having some photos of your car on the track...the next thing you'll want to do is shoot on-track video from your car.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

A buddy with a digital SLR is my vote. Almost everyone I know now has a DSLR (I'm a Canon fan), and you can get near professional shots with just a little practice.

I'll be shooting at the NCM event as time allows, and I usually end up with hundreds of great shots at this type of event. A good DSLR can get 3-6 good shots of each car every time it goes by.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I also like wide angle shots of multiple cars, full paddock shots, Pre-grid shots.

and BIG after the day is done pics too
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

btw, I do have a long zoom lense.....pretty important for getting high-res images up close. Great things about dslr's, once you buy one, it should be compatible forever...I've had my Canon lense for 15 years.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Most every track event I've been to has a photog there...

the problem with this is that they are there to get a few standard shots of 100 cars.

If you want some great shots of you, your car or even a small group of folks, check into getting someone who would just focus on you/your group.

It doesn't have to be the pro photo guy who is going to charge you and arm and a leg. It helps if you know what you want.

When I want a good shot of my car I usually go to the photog guy and get him to shoot some non-manufactured shots. Ask them to slow the shutter speed down so all the pics don't look like they were taken on a parking lot.

Today's SLR digital cameras can take some great shots if you have to basic knowledge about sports photography. A lot of the track photogs approach it as portrait photography not sports.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5

the problem with this is that they are there to get a few standard shots of 100 cars.

If you want some great shots of you, your car or even a small group of folks, check into getting someone who would just focus on you/your group.

It doesn't have to be the pro photo guy who is going to charge you and arm and a leg. It helps if you know what you want.

When I want a good shot of my car I usually go to the photog guy and get him to shoot some non-manufactured shots. Ask them to slow the shutter speed down so all the pics don't look like they were taken on a parking lot.

Today's SLR digital cameras can take some great shots if you have to basic knowledge about sports photography. A lot of the track photogs approach it as portrait photography not sports.
The ironic part is that you have to tell the pro photographer about the shutter speed.

But yes, the local photographer will usually be happy to accommodate any pics you want.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5

Actually,
This is not a bad idea, I have a buddy that takes pictures during touring at the big Road America events, I should ask him if he could take a day and take some pic's of us at the NCM event, I think he will be around for our BBQ as well. See you in a couple months Gary!
Joel
Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I just took a look at the disc and there was a business card of sorts embedded.

PM sent.

Last edited by UstaB-GS549; 06-09-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone every hire/have a photographer at HPDE?

Quick Reply: Anyone every hire/have a photographer at HPDE?