Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery straps?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default battery straps?

Pardon the stupid question but I'm an autocross newbie and am trying to prep my car for my first event. My battery is not tied down and I understand that this is an autox requirement. What do you all use to secure your batteries? My car is an '89 coupe.

Thanks, Kim
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Not stupid at all! I had to deal with this last week when I put in a Optima battery in my C6ZO6. I made it from 1.25 inch square aluminum bar stock.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 368 Likes on 304 Posts

Kim, the stock hold down has always passed tech here for me. You may need racers tape on the pos battery terminal though. You could ask a fellow racer for a small strip if needed when your there. I had a lucky charm piece that lasted years.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most of the sanctioning bodies will allow the OEM battery hold down to pass tech. Just make sure the bolt is tight and that the plastic block is sitting in the notch at the bottom of the battery case.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Most of the sanctioning bodies will allow the OEM battery hold down to pass tech. Just make sure the bolt is tight and that the plastic block is sitting in the notch at the bottom of the battery case.
I don't seem to have the OEM hold down. Maybe the previous owner replaced the battery and tossed the hold down (and the front license plate!).
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think the hold down block and the bolt are pretty common across the GM lineup.

I just checked the GMPartsDirect website and the battery tray holddown is the same from 84 thru 96 and runs under $5.00 retail. The site did not show a part number but it would be the same for all years and all cars that use that block.

Gene Culley would have it too and he's a Forum vendor.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

it's probably just a tab down on the bottom side of the battery....you might not see it even if it's there. If the battery truly is not bolted down (ie, you can easily move it around with your hand), then you should visit a dealer and pick up the factory tab.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do SCCA Tech. The requirement for both AutoX and RoadRace is: The battery shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis structure.
So stock holddowns will do.

The positive cable end must be insulated.
There is no spec on this but tech likes to see a a little more than one layer of tape. On side mount cables, a piece of heater hose, ty rapped on works well. You can get plastic covers at a parts store for top mount cables.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Thanks everyone. I'll get her bolted down today.

Kim

Get notified of new replies

To battery straps?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: battery straps?