Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA driver Kalitta killed in fiery crash in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default NHRA driver Kalitta killed in fiery crash in NJ

NHRA driver Kalitta killed in fiery crash in NJ

1 hour ago

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (AP) — Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car crashed and burst into flames during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta — the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car — was taken to Raritan Bay Medical Center in Old Bridge, where he died a short time later.

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

Scott Kalitta is survived by wife Kathy and sons Corey and Colin.

NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Brad Keselowski — a native of Rochester Hills, Mich., about 20 miles away from Kalitta's hometown of Mount Clemens — learned the news from a television report Saturday afternoon.

"That really hits close to home," Keselowski said after winning the pole position for Saturday night's race at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wis. "(He was) a friend of my family's, and I send my thoughts and prayers out to him. That's tough to hear."

Last year, Funny Car driver Eric Medlen died after an accident in a testing session at Gainesville, Fla.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:02 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

This sends chills through me.

I knew Scott back when I ran NHRA in 1980s. We are the same age. Geez, this stinks. Bad.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Prayers for Scott and his family
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The crash after the fire was devastating ...

A camera operator in an overhead boom crane at the end of the track
was in harm's way but I have not seen any reports about his well-being.

My thoughts are with the family, friends and those who responded to
the accident scene.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

What a horrible crash.

At first it doesn't seem that "bad", not any worse than any other funny car blow up but probably worse for him the tires didn't blow, the car kept going straight. He would have been better off in a roll.

Even on TV it didn't look like he was going that fast but when you saw the car hit the barrier he had to be doing 150+. The footage upto that point was very misleading, I thought he was going to bounce off the back wall.

I think this will lead to another change in the tracks, the sand trap didn't even phase the speed of the car.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I heard that he was still traveling at 300 mph when he hit the sand. I think no safety equipment would have helped if that was the case.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

May I please offer my condolences to his family, very sad news. Not a good month for them, one of their 747's broke on the runway recently, but fortunately no one was hurt in that. We get used to seeing these awesome drag cars blow up and the driver walks away. We forget that these cars are going faster in the first 1/8 mile than F1 or Cup cars ever go. The Kalittas' have been racing for a very long time, I grew up watching his Dad race Shirley Muldowney, Big Daddy Don Garlits, et all. Legend has it that Connie unloaded a Top Fuel dragster early in the morning hours and ran it down Woodward Ave to set the unofficial record there, ran it up into the trailer before the cops came. Rest in peace Scott.

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-22-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow, unbeleivable.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sad They have had a few accidents lately and escaped without death. I guess the odds ran out in a dangerous sport. They have been doing more safety research lately. Wonder how Force feels about his daughter running now? God Bless him.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-22-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I think I speak for many when I say that those of us who have seriously raced (in whatever form) feel a certain kinship with other racers, even those we've never personally come to know, and sincerely experience a heartfelt loss whenever another racer's life ends tragically. We're generally cut from the same cloth, and therefore have a good notion of what makes each other tick. Thus, we are all part of the extended racing family, and in that sense it always hurts to loose a brother. God's speed, Scott.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

How sad.

Watched Connie Kalitta and his Bounty Hunter back in the 60's.

I'm still baffled as to why there's a concrete barrier across the top end! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize a dragster might well run into itif they have trouble.

Rest in Peace Scott.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Unbelieveably Crappy Saftey Equiptment!!!!

How CHEAP can NHRA be at ALLLL events. No NET, SOFT BARRIERS, and ON AND ON before a CONCRETE.....A CONCRETE WALL at the end of the track. JUST PLAIN SUCKY ENGINEERING. I AM APPALLED PEOPLE BLAME ODDS FOR NOT PROTECTING OUR DRIVERS. Same thing happened to ARYTON SENNA in F1 racing who was a legend. People only take action when many people die or 1 FAMOUS person dies tragically as Kalitta did.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

real sad news
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

wow scary crash
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
How CHEAP can NHRA be at ALLLL events. No NET, SOFT BARRIERS, and ON AND ON before a CONCRETE.....A CONCRETE WALL at the end of the track. JUST PLAIN SUCKY ENGINEERING. I AM APPALLED PEOPLE BLAME ODDS FOR NOT PROTECTING OUR DRIVERS. Same thing happened to ARYTON SENNA in F1 racing who was a legend. People only take action when many people die or 1 FAMOUS person dies tragically as Kalitta did.
There was a Net and there was a sand trap. Englishtown also has one of the longest run off areas (pavement after the end of the 1/4 mile) that I have seen.

I am not sure if there is any safety device that will help you at 300mph when you are unconscious and not applying the brakes or doing any other emergency maneuver.

I feel extremely sad that a legend did die, but at these speeds it is bound to happen even with the best of equipment.

This doesnt mean that NHRA should not continue to look into other safety equipment, but NHRA does have strict rules. look at the 11.5 rule cutoff with no roll cage. A stock C6Z can run faster than that, but still is not allowed and the owner will be kicked out of Etown if they do.

On a side note I did think of one safety device which may help - I was watching the catapult / catch systems the navy uses on an aircraft carrier and I thought the catch system would work.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
On a side note I did think of one safety device which may help - I was watching the catapult / catch systems the navy uses on an aircraft carrier and I thought the catch system would work.
I don't think so. Planes don't land on a carrier at 300 mph. It would probably cut through the car, and the driver, at those speeds.

Get notified of new replies

To NHRA driver Kalitta killed in fiery crash in NJ

Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I don't think so. Planes don't land on a carrier at 300 mph. It would probably cut through the car, and the driver, at those speeds.
good point. I was thinking something to grab the car as a last ditch.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The explosion took out his parachute, so he went full speed into the runoff area.

ESPN2 stated that the older NHRA tracks were having issues getting enough run off area for the speeds the cars are doing.

They also meantioned an update to the chassis that they need to comply to.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Speed isn't the only factor, it's the total kinetic energy that must be disapated. A 30,000lb aircraft flying at 130 mph posseses more kinetic energy than a 2,400lb funny car at 300 mph.

Quick Reply: NHRA driver Kalitta killed in fiery crash in NJ