Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to tie data acquisition box into RPM?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where to tie data acquisition box into RPM?

I've got a traqmate data logger and want to pull RPM data from the car. Anyone hook one up yet. Just wondering the quickest/easiest way to tap in to get RPM data.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:51 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in this also i haven't done it yet but plan to in the near future
Old 06-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I had my Traqmate tied into the fuel injector electric line at the injector and it worked ok. I now have it tied into the computer. It should be a more reliable connection, now.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:28 PM
jrz1
Pro

Come on jody, you've got to be able to do better than that... (pictures???). Remember, I'm just a stupid guy with more debt than sense. If nothing else, I can check it out at VIR in 2 weeks - I'm assuming you'll be baking there again this year...
Old 06-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrz1
Come on jody, you've got to be able to do better than that... (pictures???). Remember, I'm just a stupid guy with more debt than sense. If nothing else, I can check it out at VIR in 2 weeks - I'm assuming you'll be baking there again this year...

I'll have it there so we can look at it then.

I had Williams Performance pull the wire from the computer when I had it over there recently.

I'm sure with David and Danny and all those other technical guys can give info anyone might need.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Under dash-> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=619162
Schematic->http://www.raptorperformance.com/Che...Tach%20Sch.gif

PCM pinouts-> 97-98 Corvette: tach signal is at PCM, blue connector (C2), pin #35, white wire

1999-2004 Corvette: tach signal is at PCM (behind passenger side wheel well), red connector (C2), pin #10, white wire. This wire also runs up to the instrument cluster connector, pin #17

hope this helps.

FWIW. I spliced into #10 for my FJO setup.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bink
Joel, I tried that one and could never get it to work. That's when I did the fuel injector.

Originally Posted by Bink
1999-2004 Corvette: tach signal is at PCM (behind passenger side wheel well), red connector (C2), pin #10, white wire.
That's the one I have now.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Well.....I just happened to tackle this same project this weekend on my Z06.

I also have a 2006 Z06. I had looked at a bunch of other posts to try to find the info, but didn't have any luck. One regular C6 owner showed how he tapped into a "light tan" wire under the right side of the driver's instrument panel, but when I got into that wire bundle I couldn't find such a wire.

Yesterday I finally just took out the guage cluster. There are 2 connectors on the back - it looks like one goes into the speedometer and the other into the tach. I had read that the signal could be picked up from a white wire going into the gray connector that hooks up to the tachometer. When I pulled the cluster out of the dashboard I could see a gray connector behind the tach. I disconnected it and there was a white wire (on pin# 5, I think - the only white wire going into that gray connector). I tapped a wire onto that, ran it to my TraqData connector, and VOILA - I had RPM on my TraqMate!!!

You may be able to pick up that white wire in that wire bundle down under the right side of the driver's instrument panel (down under the ignition switch) but there may be more than one white wire in there.

Here's a link to taking out the gauge cluster:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1968685

Scroll about 1/4 of the way down that page and you'll see a picture of the back of the cluster with the 2 connectors, and the gray one on the left has the white wire with the tach signal. It looks a little daunting, but it's really not too bad of a job.

BTW, I had to select "4" cylinders in the TraqView software (I think it's under "User Setup") for it to display the RPM properly.

I have a TraqData connector with more inputs than just RPM, and I wanted Throttle Position, so I ran a wire to the APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) potentiometer and up to the TraqData connector A0 analog input. The APP sensor is up at the top of the accelerator pedal. I had to remove the kick panel on the driver's side to get up in there. There are several wires, but I had read another post that said the "dark blue" wire has a signal that is 1 volt at 0% throttle and 4 volts at 100% throttle. I put those values into a table in TraqView for seting up your inputs, and it seems to be working great. I just went out around a closed course in my housing development that I set up - I selected a mailbox down the street as the start/finish line and drive around a closed course of about 2 miles. On my little local race course the RPM and Throttle Position seem to work okay when I download the session into TraqView. I think I may also tap a wire into the brake light to display when I'm on and off the brakes, instead of just relying on the TraqMate accelerometers.

Good luck with it, and let me know if you have any questions about what I'm talking about above.

C'ya at VIR!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-23-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
jrz1
Pro

BEZ06 that's an awesome link. So it doesn't sound all that hard to remove the gauge cluster - is that your view? I'm probably not going to try and tackle before VIR but if I get everything all packed up and am sitting around with nothing to do, who knows. How long total did it take you?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by jrz1
BEZ06 that's an awesome link. So it doesn't sound all that hard to remove the gauge cluster - is that your view? I'm probably not going to try and tackle before VIR but if I get everything all packed up and am sitting around with nothing to do, who knows. How long total did it take you?
It only takes a couple minutes to pop the bottom of the instrument panel loose and get some of the wires loose (those dayum wire connectors are a biotch to get loose - every one clips together in a different manner, and most of the time you can't see what you're trying to do). In Pipedreams' DIY info he says to get behind the pod with a stubby philips-head screwdriver to take the DIC switches out and then pop the connectors loose, and that's what I did. I just removed the one on the right, popped out the ignition switch and the sensor beside it, and left the left side wires hooked up and swung the surround piece to the left. Then I unscrewed the 4 screws that hold the cluster in and pulled it out of the dash so I could access the connector with the white wire I was going after.

All that probably didn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes. Then it took just a minute or two to attach my wire with a wire tap, and another 10 minutes or so to bolt the cluster back in and clip the surround piece back in. I'd say you should be able to do it all in 45 minutes really taking your time and being careful.

Good luck with it!

Bob
Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
jrz1
Pro

Got the wire tied in tonight. Wasn't too bad but like everything else, nothing goes as smoothly as you'd like. Mostly just not having right tools when you needed them. Multiple in-outs to get stuff. The actual work wasn't that bad though getting some of the wiring harnesses unattached was fun. I haven't had chance to see if the wire attached to the white #5 wire will actually register RPM for my traqmate. Thunderstorms were rolling in and it took everything I could muster just to get things back together so I could start the car and roll up the windows before it started to rain. For some reason I decided to start the project with the car out in the driveway vs. in the garage. Not smart.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to tie data acquisition box into RPM?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to tie data acquisition box into RPM?