Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Wheels and Tires - C6Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Track Wheels and Tires - C6Z06

I just recently purchased a 2nd set of wheels for my C6Z06 with 1 set being used for the street and one for the track. The 2nd set of wheels are standard OEM wheels. It seems like my choices for tires is fairly limited by going this route so I am wondering if I should invest in a wheel size that has more choices. Ideally, I want to find a tire that I can drive to the track on. I am not interested in trailoring the car to the track. I thought I might purchase a set of Michelin Sport Cup tires for the stock wheels, but the price for these is outrageous ($600 for each rear tire).

Does anyone have any good recommendations for wheel size and then tires that can be driven to the track?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only manufacturer that makes the OEM rear is Hoosier and you not going to be able to drive that to the track. Your definately going to have to go down to 18" to get more choices, and even then, the choices are not good. You need at least a 325 tire to meet the OEM spec and anything less than that with a 427 and your asking for trouble. I think Toyo makes an RA-1 in Viper sizes that may work 345-18. But even most that make 18" treaded R-compound tires, seem to stop around 315. Try Toyo, they have tread, which means they are streetable and I have heard good things about overall wear.

Otherwise, like me you should break down and just find a way to trailer the car.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
The only manufacturer that makes the OEM rear is Hoosier and you not going to be able to drive that to the track. Your definately going to have to go down to 18" to get more choices, and even then, the choices are not good. You need at least a 325 tire to meet the OEM spec and anything less than that with a 427 and your asking for trouble. I think Toyo makes an RA-1 in Viper sizes that may work 345-18. But even most that make 18" treaded R-compound tires, seem to stop around 315. Try Toyo, they have tread, which means they are streetable and I have heard good things about overall wear.

Otherwise, like me you should break down and just find a way to trailer the car.

18s all around are the way to go and if you want AH and TC you have to be selective in your choices here as well
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
American Power
Pro

I was in your boat. I picked up some Forgeline ZX3P's from LG in 18's with Toyo RA1's. The Ra1's were take off's from one of LG's world challenge cars. They were rain tires so they had plenty of meat. Anthony hooked it up! The price for the tires were ridiculosly low. Like 200.00 for complete set..

Now I graduated up to hoosiers on the stock Z wheels and trailer the car.

But i did drive to many track events on the Toyo's and the ride was fine in both directions, the Toyo's also dropped my lap times at limerock 5 seconds from runcraps.

Now the Toyo's are my street tire of course, they grip better than any other Street tire I have used on my Z. They are much much more grippy than the MPS2's I had. I can smash first gear if there warm and the car just hooks and go's. Try that with a Z with tires in the 220 treawear range and they go up in smoke!

I hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by American Power
I was in your boat. I picked up some Forgeline ZX3P's from LG in 18's with Toyo RA1's. The Ra1's were take off's from one of LG's world challenge cars. They were rain tires so they had plenty of meat. Anthony hooked it up! The price for the tires were ridiculosly low. Like 200.00 for complete set..

Now I graduated up to hoosiers on the stock Z wheels and trailer the car.

But i did drive to many track events on the Toyo's and the ride was fine in both directions, the Toyo's also dropped my lap times at limerock 5 seconds from runcraps.

Now the Toyo's are my street tire of course, they grip better than any other Street tire I have used on my Z. They are much much more grippy than the MPS2's I had. I can smash first gear if there warm and the car just hooks and go's. Try that with a Z with tires in the 220 treawear range and they go up in smoke!

I hope this helps.
What size tires were you running on the front and rear with the 18" wheels? How much roughly are the Toyo tires?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
American Power
Pro

Originally Posted by C5Lion
What size tires were you running on the front and rear with the 18" wheels? How much roughly are the Toyo tires?
front 275/30/18 rear 335/30/18
200.00 or 250.00 for all 4 tires. Call Anthony at LG.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Wheels and Tires - C6Z06

Quick Reply: Track Wheels and Tires - C6Z06