Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new hoosier r6 tires tomorrow how to heat cycle

Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default new hoosier r6 tires tomorrow how to heat cycle

ok so we are having an auto x event a higher speed one at an airport and i have some new r6 tires on the rear that are brand new no heat cycles on them, any recommendations on how to get them up to par quickly??

thanks
Derek
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

From the Hoosier website: (http://www.hoosiertire.com)

Tire Break-In Procedure
Proper break-in will not affect initial performance but will increase the competitive life of the tire.

The procedure can be broken down into phases.

1st phase: The initial run
2nd phase: The length of the time the tire is allowed to "cure"

The Initial Run Heat Cycle
R6 Roadrace
The first laps for the tire are critical for setting up the durability and competitive life. The first session should consist of no more than 10-15 minutes of running. The early part of the session should be run at an easy pace, with the speed gradually increased until the end of the session. The final lap should be run at the fastest possible speed. The intent is to achieve maximum tire temp on the last lap. At this point the car should be brought in and the tires allowed to cool at a normal rate.

During the initial run-in process, the inflation pressure should be 3-5 psi higher than you would normally use. The best progression would have the driver taking 4-7 laps to accomplish this break-in. Each lap should be approximately 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the previous lap. The goal is to have the tire temp as high as possible on the last lap without "shocking" the tire during the warm up laps. In essence, no wheelspin, late braking, or sliding. The last lap should be at, or very close, the maximum possible.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

what section should i got to that takes me to main page
Old 06-27-2008, 06:27 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

did you mean this one?

https://www.hoosiertire.com/Tctips.h...In%20Procedure
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

This procedure is not done easily on a highway. The speeds required to get the tires hot enough are way extra legal. They just don't give you a ticket for those speeds, they put handcuffs on and take you to jail.

If you aren't driving those speeds the tires will not get hot enough. I tried this several years ago and the highest tire temp I could get at speeds up to 80 mph was 130 degrees which is 60 to 70 degrees to low.

Bill
Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
This procedure is not done easily on a highway. The speeds required to get the tires hot enough are way extra legal. They just don't give you a ticket for those speeds, they put handcuffs on and take you to jail.

If you aren't driving those speeds the tires will not get hot enough. I tried this several years ago and the highest tire temp I could get at speeds up to 80 mph was 130 degrees which is 60 to 70 degrees to low.

Bill
i will be bolting these new ones on at the track tomorrow so i hopefully can get them hot enough tomorrow

Get notified of new replies

To new hoosier r6 tires tomorrow how to heat cycle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new hoosier r6 tires tomorrow how to heat cycle