Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets hear some play by plays from VIR!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Default Lets hear some play by plays from VIR!!

I'm bummed that I could not of made it this year so help me out here guys, anyone there posting lets hear what's going on!!

Who's going faster than last year?
What mods have you done since last year that helped?
Who has learned a lot from there instructors?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Word on the street is David Farmer is as fast as usual.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Word has it that there are several new ZR1's there and they are slooooow. Not the cars, just the newbie drivers.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I'm bummed that I could not of made it this year so help me out here guys, anyone there posting lets hear what's going on!!

Who's going faster than last year?
What mods have you done since last year that helped?
Who has learned a lot from there instructors?
Me! Bob took me out in his car, to show me the line. 165 mph Ok now I'am hooked (where do I sign). I'am doing great in my car, it's just the damm turns I need to work on. Having a blast. Wish u where here Doug.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Jay, glad to hear the car is in 1 piece with 1 day to go !

Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One lesson learned - running red group at this event with a stock c5z and street tires just plain sucks. I've never felt so slow in all my life...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

George's Vette is still running! The new ZR1 is awesome! I am loving my new headers, and loving VIR for my first time. Nearly 200 Corvettes at a race track.....it sure beats working!
Zipity
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Moser is the fastest "I" saw on track. Had a great time screwing around with Jeff in the last session of the day and with Wally in the 3rd session. Been a long time since I smiled while on track.

Cracked 2 rotors, but got some love from some friends, after I gave my last good rotor to another friend. Nice how that works out. There are just some damn good people in this sport and you know who you are...

Oh and Short Throw, thanks for the oil change bucket. Climbing around your rig to find us something was above and beyond.

Weather has been great, but a touch hot. Shortening a few guys track minutes with high (305`-320`) oil temps. Even mine with the stand alone cooler reached 280`

The ZR1's sound great and look amazing (in my opinion), but are all in the hands of students. Love to see Popp, Moser, Jr, Wally or Jody behind the wheel of one, so we can see how they really compare to the Z06's. Speaking of them, There are C6 Z's everywhere. Holy shi* And some real well put together ones as well.

Things have been run VERY smoothly. Exceptional in my opinion. Sessions have been on time, Tom and Rock have done a great job. Incidents of off track excursions have been very few and far between, same with mechanical issues from what I have seen.

And my Little ECS tuned, 130K mile, poorly suspended LS1 is hanging tough......
Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody take any pictures? Sounds like you all had a blast. 200 Corvettes?

I gotta get down there with you guys sometime.

Jeremy, your car may have some miles on it but you sure know how to drive it like you stole it

Great to hear the favor came back to you on the rotors.

Aaron
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Me! Bob took me out in his car, to show me the line. 165 mph Ok now I'am hooked (where do I sign). I'am doing great in my car, it's just the damm turns I need to work on. Having a blast. Wish u where here Doug.
Figured you would like it Jay
Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
Word has it that there are several new ZR1's there and they are slooooow. Not the cars, just the newbie drivers.
I would have been surprised if they let racers go all out in them, the last thing I think they would want is a wrecked or mechanical problem with one. Not a good way to debute.

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Thanks Jay! ok, big brake kit, coil overs, sways, race seat, and seat time, seat time, seat time!!

Originally Posted by freefall
One lesson learned - running red group at this event with a stock c5z and street tires just plain sucks. I've never felt so slow in all my life...
I'm surprised they let you, nothing to do with skill level, just that most of the red run group cars are pretty serious.

Originally Posted by zipity
George's Vette is still running! The new ZR1 is awesome! I am loving my new headers, and loving VIR for my first time. Nearly 200 Corvettes at a race track.....it sure beats working!
Zipity

Originally Posted by RogueVette
Moser is the fastest "I" saw on track. Had a great time screwing around with Jeff in the last session of the day and with Wally in the 3rd session. Been a long time since I smiled while on track.

Cracked 2 rotors, but got some love from some friends, after I gave my last good rotor to another friend. Nice how that works out. There are just some damn good people in this sport and you know who you are...

Oh and Short Throw, thanks for the oil change bucket. Climbing around your rig to find us something was above and beyond.

Weather has been great, but a touch hot. Shortening a few guys track minutes with high (305`-320`) oil temps. Even mine with the stand alone cooler reached 280`

The ZR1's sound great and look amazing (in my opinion), but are all in the hands of students. Love to see Popp, Moser, Jr, Wally or Jody behind the wheel of one, so we can see how they really compare to the Z06's. Speaking of them, There are C6 Z's everywhere. Holy shi* And some real well put together ones as well.

Things have been run VERY smoothly. Exceptional in my opinion. Sessions have been on time, Tom and Rock have done a great job. Incidents of off track excursions have been very few and far between, same with mechanical issues from what I have seen.

And my Little ECS tuned, 130K mile, poorly suspended LS1 is hanging tough......
That is one of the cool things with road racing, everyone is always helpfull to each other.

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
Figured you would like it Jay
He is hooked..
Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Well, I'm not even gonna say a word about those SLICKS I offered to let you borrow

Step on the gas ya pansy

Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

lunch break.....

The weather today is perfect for being at the track. I think low 80s with a nice breeze.

Car is running good and pulls like a beast. I do run out of gear with the 3.73s. On the back straight no big deal since I can shift to 5th, but going through the uphill esses I dont have that option. 3.42 will be my best choice with this power and what I like to do.

Instructing is a lot of work. I give the seasoned instructors alot of credit. After instructing 3 different people (Yellow, Green and 1 of the prime time drivers ) throughout the day I went to bed at 10am and slept right through to 6:30am which is alot of hours for someone that usually only sleeps 5 hours.

The usual ECS Racing crowd is doing well. George and Roger are having fun. We now have Jay (4DRush) hooked. He is also doing very well on the track which is good.

We also met up with Stephen T, Zipity, Pete and Ray on the way down. From the little time that I have spoke to them they are doing well.

Advance and Instructors run together in the last 35 min session. Will be cool to run with George and Roger.

All in all another great NCM HPDE event.

BTW - who is the fastest - not 100% sure. I do know in the instructor group there are plenty of fast drivers and plenty of cars with power which makes for fast lap times.

I never saw so many C6Z in my life

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 07-03-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Instructing is a lot of work.

I never saw so many C6Z in my life
Another great day. The 09 z's and zr1 -- nice cars, incredible stock performance - and love that grey.

When you have a couple of students, plus running, it's pretty much an instant coma when you lay down at night. I did one PCA event where I only had one student...nearly got bored because I wasn't running around all day!

I hear you on the c6z's too - they were everywhere.

RedLS6 - I was taking it easy on the car...but have gotten tired of the lowball folks on the vette forum and will probably take it off the market...and put the suspension back on...Danny is a very bad influence.

Doug - The red group wasn't too bad - just haven't had to point anyone besides gt3 cup cars by in a few events - and old street tires with the c5z just didn't cut the muster. I only ran my car like that to take students out. The c6z did pretty good out there - ran down the T1 cars in the straights and didn't lose too much in the twisties. I could see pre-qual for red group at this event: minimum 500rwhp, race slicks, and casaba mellons. Jokes aside - no worries out there, everyone was playing nicely...my left arm just got a bit tired.

This is one of the best events I've run at...GREAT JOB TOM!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by freefall; 07-01-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

will probably take it off the market...and put the suspension back on...Danny is a very bad influence.
bout time!

Get notified of new replies

To Lets hear some play by plays from VIR!!

Quick Reply: Lets hear some play by plays from VIR!!