Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service from LG Motorsports?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service from LG Motorsports?

I must have bad timing when I order parts from LG Motorsports.The last three big brake kits(2 Willwood,1 Stoptech),cooling duct kits and other smaller parts over the past year(for 3 different customers) were all said to be in stock at the time of order,however when called a week later for shipment status,I get the same reply of the kits being on back order.Maybe they are,and maybe I just have bad timing when I call,(but from 2 different brake companies?),but I asked around and it seems to have happened before to others.
These are expensive pieces for expensive cars for owners who would like their car done when promised,and in this economic climate,I can't afford to let jobs get away because vendors don't/won't/can't keep popular pieces/kits in stock(especially when advertised as being in stock).I hope this situation is rare and the exception,not the rule.But until I am proved otherwise I would like to know the past experiences members of this forum have had with LG Motorsports before I pass judgment on them.

Dave D.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem here for years but I would call and talk to Lou the boss or Louis his son then you are at the top of the chain of command.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We have had problems with the stoptech supply in the last few months. I have the majority of the kit you ordered, but stoptech is telling me 3 weeks on the rears.

When you ordered the wilwood stuff earlier Dave, we had a wilwood supply problem on the calipers. They hate selling me their calipers because it competes directly with their kits.

Other than that, we usually do not have problems. Sometimes things take a little longer than we would all like, but after 20 years in business, we are still here

I will try my hardest to make it happen. There might be various parts across the country I can compile and maybe the race team has stuff too inorder to put a kit together.

Louis
Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
GotGIG
Advanced

Earlier this month I checked on StopTechs.....they were 3 to 4 weeks out from several different suppliers.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I bet suppliers tell vendor BS and then it snowballs to the end user unfortunately.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will stick up for the boys at LGM and others in this crazy go fast business. There is always something going on in the supply chain. Most kits require a few different peices. I end up like this situation all the time. I have xyz but am missing g and h is on the way. I know some of it has to do with the sessional craziness. In Oct, Nov and Dec, pretty much I can get whatever I need. But this time of the year everyone including myself are still getting caught up from the spring rush. When I complain to the vendors, they tell me to stock my shelves. So I put in a stocking order and then wait two to three times as long to get the big order. Because they are waiting on more parts too. I have been working in this business for the past 15 years. JE pistons 4-6 weeks, AP calipers 1-4 monthes, wilwood hit or miss, kirban shifters 1-4 weeks, bilstein 1 day to 7 monthes.

It's a crazy business

Randy
PS Hey have Bobby give me a call if he has a chance today, or I will call in the AM
Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

From someone who buys and sells as much or more Wilwood product as anyone I can tell you it's a multi step issue for kit sales.

When an order is placed for a kit sometimes they come from a stock on hand supply from the vendor and sometimes they come as a drop shop from Camarillo CA. While any vendor would want you to believe they stock everything, all the time...it's simply not so. Not for me either. With diverse options in the Wilwood line alone you have variations in both kit application of course but also size (kit diameter) rotor finish (GT or SRP) and now the past couple of years; color options. To say the least being able to manage every conceivable option for all the applications would require a huge cash outlay and immediate re order of the parts shifted from kit to kit to build the red kit- but not drilled- but wants 14s, not 13- and with B pads...etc. etc.

In order to be competitive the carrying costs would be very high and thus the "good buddy" price...well, not so good.

The problem is often that Wilwood as the parent supplier has the same issue. The use of the BSL6r caliper (in black, red, silver, etc) is supplied in various kits across the entire kit line from Vette to Mustang to G35. That's a lot of calipers. To combat this no Wilwood factory kit is "on the shelf" to ship until someone orders it. Supposing I (for you) want a 13" kit in black with drilled rotors....well if black is good, and 13s are ready but only in GT fashion as the Drilled ones are getting plated you have a problem. Keep in mind the calipers AND the rotors are shared amongst about 12-15(?) kits. If I sell a red kit for a G35 on Monday and take the last red BSL6r, Louis calls on Tuesday and is told "three weeks, we're out of red".

Personally I also am finding that many vendors and supplier alike (I confess me too) are holding cash closer to their bank accounts now than a couple years ago. Huge inventory levels of parts not moving do not pay the bills or payroll. Many companies are willing to deal but are in a cash conservation mode and not buying in bulk. It's not really any different than other durable goods on the market.

So in the end, be patient, accept some delays and plan ahead. A brake kit purchase for Friday install, Saturday track use, ordered on Monday is not a suppliers issue, that's a poor planning problem. We'll help you but work smart.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Louis' response was timely and honest. I sure hope this doesn't turn into another forum blood letting at the expense of a good supplier.

My $0.03 (inflation)
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

Like I stated initially, I wanted to get some outside feedback before I made up my mind about LG Motorsports and their service.I do know firsthand about parts backorders,forgotten orders that were never placed,etc..These things happen every week to me.I forget sometimes that the racing/performance industry runs no different than the OEM side.I just get worked up because it is me that has to make the call to the owner telling him he will not be able to attend a big track event due to lack of parts after being told they were in stock. along with the possibility of the owner not going forth with brake and other upgrades just because they will not be ready on time.I'm in a "strike while the iron's hot"situation many times as some customers can be very fickle and flighty.I just try to get the cars done in the most timely fashion as possible and take it very hard when I can't.
So,Anthony, if something can be done in a reasonable timeframe,let me know,you have my number. Thanks guys,I did not intend to flame or put LG down,I just wanted to get the big picture of what is going on.

Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I ordered special materials like masonry anchors for a construction project over 2 months in advance probably three. Thirty days before the project starts I send the list again and ask if it is all ready. They tell me "yes it's here and checked" Start the job and tell them to ship it and some stuff is not available or wrong Now I am not talking track event I am talking me and my crew working and eating. Also my image to the General Contractor I had the vendor call the general contractor so he doesn't get PO'ed and think it is me who F'ed up. Some times you can't win.

For racing the summer is crazy and things get scarce. Unfortunately most don't think about it in January. I do know what you mean when people want to spend you need to hit it fast. Dealing with LGM and DRM for years they have always done their best for me even with little or no notice in a pnich.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No worries with LG, they are trust worthy and will do what they can to make it right.

Aaron
Old 06-30-2008, 11:57 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to Anthony tonight who took your order. Everyone that placed a Stoptech order from him he made sure they understood there was a 3 week back order. Stoptech told him 2 weeks, and he added an extra week on for safety.

you placed the order on the 19th, and the PO for the remainder of what we didnt have in stock was indeed placed that same day.

As of today, stoptech said 3 weeks for the material they need for the rears. That is out of my control, and everyone would have been notified of that new backorder status as you are one of a handful that have kits on order.

in the interim, if there is anything we can do on our end, please let us know. If that requires calling your customer for you or refunding the order, or switching to a brembo setup which is a day away, we will do so.

If your customer wants to make a track day with a big brake kit, Ill take the setup off my car in my sig and send it to you until your kit arrives. Its not even my product, and it isnt my fault stoptech cannot get parts to us, but Im willing to take the shirt off my back to make this deal happen. Make sure you have wheels that will fit a 15" rotor if you choose to do so.

Thanks

Louis

Last edited by Louis @ LG Motorsports; 07-01-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 AM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
I talked to Anthony tonight who took your order. Everyone that placed a Stoptech order from him he made sure they understood there was a 3 week back order. Stoptech told him 2 weeks, and he added an extra week on for safety.

you placed the order on the 19th, and the PO for the remainder of what we didnt have in stock was indeed placed that same day.

As of today, stoptech said 3 weeks for the material they need for the rears. That is out of my control, and everyone would have been notified of that new backorder status as you are one of a handful that have kits on order.

in the interim, if there is anything we can do on our end, please let us know. If that requires calling your customer for you or refunding the order, or switching to a brembo setup which is a day away, we will do so.

If your customer wants to make a track day with a big brake kit, Ill take the setup off my car in my sig and send it to you until your kit arrives. Its not even my product, and it isnt my fault stoptech cannot get parts to us, but Im willing to take the shirt off my back to make this deal happen. Make sure you have wheels that will fit a 15" rotor if you choose to do so.

Thanks

Louis

First class as always Louis. Hope to see you at one of the upcoming ALMS races.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Jim MacZ06
Advanced

LG is tops in my book!!!

They built me an entire car that has many parts that have serial #$'s of 0001.

They made it happen even with delay's (excusses) from their vendors.

LG is a can do Team!!

Get notified of new replies

To Service from LG Motorsports?

Quick Reply: Service from LG Motorsports?