Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
October 4th and 5th!
Thanks!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Originally Posted by rocsvette
evaluations haven't been sent out yet and won't be until late September. We would love to be able to get them out sooner but Adam and I have back to back to back ....events and just don't have enough hours in a standard earth day....

When we do send them out, we'll also send out a notice to our HPDE participant and instructor list to let you know to watch for it.
What is latest word on when evaluations will be out?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Got Evaluation today.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:14 AM
PharmZ
Advanced

Default Mystery solved!

Originally Posted by varkwso
agreed - his C6Z had trans and engine hot lights the day before (and we were not pushing that hard) with an oil temp of 289 and a oil psi of 14-16 at idle. I was watching oil pressure especially when the car was loaded on the second day. The pressure was degrading rapidly as the temp increased. I have seen some degradation as the oil heats (duh) but his seemed awfully rapid.

I never see that low an idle pressure in my C5s even at 300 oil temps. So my advice was to cool it off and err to the side of caution (blew an enigne at Hog Pen last year ).
I finally got around to getting this problem checked out. (No. I'm not in the Procrastinators' Club. I want to be, but I keep putting it off.) The truth is the problem ONLY shows up on the track. Here's why, as I understand it. My mechanic discovered that the 'front rubber valance cover' was not attached correctly. The cover would blow up and partially cover the radiator, but it took very high speeds to do so. Evidently, this has been a problem since my encounter with the deer in 2006, but this event was the first one I drove hard enough for it to be noticeable. I'm sure the afternoon heat at VIR contributed as did my less than stellar shifting and braking. The body shop apparently did not secure the front of the valance cover, just the back. Additionally, there was a small oil leak due to some faulty oil tank outlet hose seals. These were replaced and the best part is, all of this was covered by warranty; I paid nothing! (Replacing the brakes, now, that's another story!)

I'm not sure the valance cover issue explains the drop in pressure, just the increased temperature. I checked the oil levels when the car overheated and they were fine. Maybe the combination of the overheating and faulty seals caused the pressure drop. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:37 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PharmZ
I finally got around to getting this problem checked out. (No. I'm not in the Procrastinators' Club. I want to be, but I keep putting it off.) The truth is the problem ONLY shows up on the track. Here's why, as I understand it. My mechanic discovered that the 'front rubber valance cover' was not attached correctly. The cover would blow up and partially cover the radiator, but it took very high speeds to do so. Evidently, this has been a problem since my encounter with the deer in 2006, but this event was the first one I drove hard enough for it to be noticeable. I'm sure the afternoon heat at VIR contributed as did my less than stellar shifting and braking. The body shop apparently did not secure the front of the valance cover, just the back. Additionally, there was a small oil leak due to some faulty oil tank outlet hose seals. These were replaced and the best part is, all of this was covered by warranty; I paid nothing! (Replacing the brakes, now, that's another story!)

I'm not sure the valance cover issue explains the drop in pressure, just the increased temperature. I checked the oil levels when the car overheated and they were fine. Maybe the combination of the overheating and faulty seals caused the pressure drop. Any thoughts?
airflow would certainly impact heat exchange. Your shifting and braking were fine by the way. Talking to other C6Z guys your oil pressure was not that uncommon with the use we were putting it to.

So when are you going to go out and test it out again?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Our oil pressure at HOT idle drops pretty low....as long as it jumps up when you rev it you are usually fine.

I'm not surprise about the body-shop issue. I had a "critter encounter" last year as well, and the repair shop left half of the fasteners off AND they never re-connected the fog lights.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
PharmZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by varkwso
airflow would certainly impact heat exchange. Your shifting and braking were fine by the way. Talking to other C6Z guys your oil pressure was not that uncommon with the use we were putting it to.

So when are you going to go out and test it out again?
It will probably be spring before I get it back to the track. I'd like to find something at Road Atlanta next year. Of course, I love the NCM VIR event and Roebling, and...
Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PharmZ
It will probably be spring before I get it back to the track. I'd like to find something at Road Atlanta next year. Of course, I love the NCM VIR event and Roebling, and...
I hope I am there when you make it out
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick Reply: VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)