Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
njoy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another great NCM HPDE

Don't post a lot, but want to ditto previous thanks to the staff, volunteers, and participants for another great NCM HPDE. Special shout out also to Chuck who was a great classroom instructor.

This was my first time in Blue Group. You guys did take it to a new level for me. It really was 'keep up or get run over'. My left arm is still aching from all the point-bys I gave. Luckily, Ralph Watts was my instructor. His guidance and encouragement helped me to drive VIR smoother and faster than I ever had before (or maybe all those stickers DO make the car go faster!). Correct me if I'm wrong, Ralph, but we did pretty well in the turns only to get steam-rolled by ZO6s and ZR1s in the straights. Someday I hope to drive my C4 as well/fast as you drive yours - guess I'll have to start pushing the pedal to the floor!

Camped up on Corvette Hill with Ralph and the other Over-the-Hill gang(sters). The snaffoo about camping was the low point to the event, but we did get squared away okay. I read about the great Southern hospitality in other parts of the paddock, as I'm sure there was. I prefer to call it "Corvette hospitality". We had plenty of it up on the hill, as well as cold beverages, good food, and good conversation. Enjoyed paddocking again with Mike and Janet. Mike's car started melting parts on day one, and even the replacement parts on day two. Hope that problem is fixed so you actually get to drive your sessions at NASA in 3 weeks.

The PrimeDrive idea was a big hit. Paul, Rob, Barry and John from my own Corvette Club of Richmond came and participated. I think we have some converts. Roc and Adam: I hope you are reading this thread as I had an idea I forgot to write on my event evaluation form. Would it be possible to open registration for next year's event one day earlier for previous PrimeDrive participants? Green group fills up so fast that I would hate for these new people to be disappointed - some for a second time. They have already demonstrated their williness and desire to support this NCM event - I think they should get a jump on registration.

These events can change your life! Little did I know what I was getting in to when I attended that first NCM HPDE in October, 2005. I was totally clue-less, but I had such an awesome time driving my beloved Corvette on the track that I participated in the second one a year later. That's where I met that S.O.B., Kanmer. Hey, don't be crude - that stands for "Sweet Ol' Bob"! We are having a great time driving this section of life's highway together. He's my Chief Mechanic which is great as I bought a second Corvette for my daily driver so this one could become a dedicated track car. He told me about other groups who also put on HPDEs and this summer we are attending about one a month. My son is also doing track days.

Life is Good!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njoy
Would it be possible to open registration for next year's event one day earlier for previous PrimeDrive participants?
That sounds like a pretty good idea!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

That's where I met that S.O.B., Kanmer.
Nancy............SOB who
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

jrz1, ouch man! The corner worker at turn 6 came by and talked to me early in the week, and commented on how they call that are the "corvette eater." Guess you proved them right. I'd have to blame either too much or too early throttle, but cold tires certainly. Glad you are OK.

Do you think you have frame issues, or just mechanical (cooling and swapping body parts). A good friend of mine and former crew chief has a shop in east charlotte (monroe rd), but I don't think he has a frame machine.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

This was my first time in Blue Group. You guys did take it to a new level for me. It really was 'keep up or get run over'. My left arm is still aching from all the point-bys I gave.
One of the high lites of the event was when you pointed me by to the left on the front straight. The grass looked inviting, then your hand went over the roof and I was off to the right side of you Enjoyed talking to you and Bob. We'll see ya at Road America.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM
SPIDEY
Heel & Toe

Had another great HPDE with the NCM! Thanks to Jerry Digges and Danny Popp who where my instructors. The Spidey FRC ran fine and I started having fun in the upper S's. The only mishap was going into turn one, when the brakes gave way and fluid decided to come out of the calipers. Thanks Tom for the rebuilt kit. Let me know what I owe you. Thanks to all the volunteers and staff at the NCM who helped put this awesome event on. Looking forward to next year. In the mean time I'll either be at CMP or Roebling Road practicing up.

Spidey

On a different note. There's nothing like watching Danny drive my car (in the red group) to realize I still have alot of learning to do. Especially when the car felt like it was airborn thru the upper S's.

Last edited by ERND IT; 07-03-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jrz1
Wed with Chin, last run of the day on the start of my 2nd lap, I came out of 6, started to apply throttle and the back end came around, I headed to left off track and almost straight into the tire wall at around 60 mph +/- (right there the tire wall is only about 20-30 feet off the track if you haven't noticed it). Don't think I nailed throttle too hard and think I was on right line (whole thing is a bit of a blur) but the back end came around like I was on ice...
Oh Jim, I am so sorry to hear about your off. I know you were already considering selling the C6Z due to the relatively high operating costs at the track, so I guess the repairs here may very-well clinch that deal, huh?

You may want to talk to Loren over at Import Paint & Body on Independence Blvd about the repairs. He's always treated me well, over the few times I have needed him.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default +10 to the comments above

Work has been in the way since I got back so just getting to post ...
First - thanks, Wally (Wallyman424) for being a patient instructor and not saying what you must have been thinking on some of my bonehead errors ... :o
Second ... thanks to all who made the event run safely and on time. That credit goes to the organizers and support staff - but it really includes EVERYONE ...
Third ... again, I didn't get around to meeting old acquaintances and finding the faces to go with familiar forum names ... my loss ...
The bad news ... if one runs the VIR NCM HPDE, you're spoiled ... hard to find other HPDE experiences as good ...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Third ... again, I didn't get around to meeting old acquaintances and finding the faces to go with familiar forum names ... my loss ...
The bad news ... if one runs the VIR NCM HPDE, you're spoiled ... hard to find other HPDE experiences as good ...
I had the same problem. With two students and trying to get some track time of my own in, I found it difficult to track down and meet the other guys from here on the forum that I wanted to. It would help if we had our forum names on our tags or if we had forum names with the car numbers on the paperwork. (Are you listening Tom?) When you tell me you have a red Z06, that doesn't help much.

I still had a great time thanks to the GM team who are always a great bunch of guys and my good friends Outnumbered and MrC. One of my students was an aerospace engineer who was fun to talk to as well. I hope the Road America event is half as good.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It was great to finally 'meet & greet' with Jody (and his PINK FLAMINGOS), Junior, Danny Popp and Jim Zilisch, among others.

There are definitely some great people involved around here, and I'm learning a lot from you guys. I certainly picked the right 'tool' for the HPDE job with a Corvette...

THANKS ALL for a great event !!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
It would help if we had our forum names on our tags or if we had forum names with the car numbers on the paperwork. (Are you listening Tom?) When you tell me you have a red Z06, that doesn't help much.

always looking to improve.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
First - thanks, Wally (Wallyman424) for being a patient instructor and not saying what you must have been thinking on some of my bonehead errors ... :o
You were a great student, it was a pleasure to ride with you. How'd the last session go?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I finally made it home and had a chance to catch my breath.

I will post a little later my driving experience and thoughts on the ZR-1's I was trusted with.

I echo what everybody else has already said in terms of Roc, Tom and Chuck doing a great job.

It seems each event going forward everyone is doing a much better job prepping their cars, that makes Tech go by a lot easier! Thank you!

Here's a neat pic (thanks Dusty) from atop my trailer:

4 GM ZR-1's and the 5th one was in front.

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's an 8 second clip of a drive-by of Joseesp's Z06 race car.

http://www.gotreosoftware.com/images...r/MVI_1109.AVI

Mike

Last edited by Short-Throw; 07-03-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I had a great time and will be back next year. Thanks to my instructors Bob and Toby with helping me get around the track for my first time at VIR
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Here's an 8 second clip of a drive-by of Joseesp's Z06 race car.

http://www.gotreosoftware.com/images...r/MVI_1109.AVI

Mike
Link, shesa no work.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-03-2008, 04:39 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will echo all the good things said about Roc, Tom and Crew. Plus a thank you to the VIR staff that make it such a great place to play.

This was my first event with the NCM and it was really special to hang with friend and meet new people.

To those of you in black group thanks for not running over me. I tried to point-by everyone as fast as I could. I now remember what it is like to be the slowest one on track.

Kim Reed

Get notified of new replies

To VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)

Old 07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by wallyman424
You were a great student, it was a pleasure to ride with you. How'd the last session go?
Thanks, Wally ... last session was great ... really got into the rhythm of the track ... I also sent you a PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
FRC4MEAM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Yes David, he made it all the way up to the hill, found me, and told me what he needed. Now you have to see him to get it back

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for loaning me the gallon jug to get some water in the car ....Saved me a lot of trips back and forth with a water bottle.

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
PharmZ
Advanced

Default Impressions from the green group...

This was my second HPDE at VIR and it was even better than the first! Thanks to Tom, Roc, and the fantastic VIR staff. You really outdid yourselves! I had a great instructor in Jeff England. He really made the track come alive for me this time. It also was great to see Jim Roberts, my instructor from the first HPDE VIR and still the bravest man I know for getting in the car with me during that first event!

Speaking of brave, I got in the car with Jeff for the last session and, to quote the man himself, "That was exciting!" An understatement considering the car in front of us spun off the track on T3 with us right behind him. Thanks to some skillful driving, we just inhaled a little dust during our time off the track! Of course, I provided him with a little excitement also; I need to practice my point-bys. I had a tendency to drive away from the direction I was pointing, which is okay, unless you're pointing away from a wall!

Jeff also instructed my wife during her PrimeDrive session. My wife enjoyed it thoroughly, but I'm afraid we failed to bring her over to the dark side. Maybe next year!

I did have a little overheating problem that was bothersome. I had to leave the track early during two sessions and didn't get to take my last one on the second day. It seems my oil pressure would drop and the oil temp would skyrocket toward the end of my runs. Jeff monitored it closely for me and probably saved me some real long term headaches. The car ran fine for the whole 485 mile trip home, however. Jeff discussed the issue with Danny Popp and he seems to think it is a defective oil pressure valve. I'll have my mechanic check it out next week.

Finally, for USA1C5, only 12 months to go!

Thanks,
Joe

Quick Reply: VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)