Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting paint at AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Jameel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting paint at AutoX?

I just picked up my C5Z06, and I’m doing an AutoX event this Saturday. The car is in mint condition, the previous owner only drove it on really nice days. So I want to keep the car’s paint free of rock chips as much as possible.

I was thinking of using “painter’s tape” on the front/underneath of the front bumper, by the rear brake ducts and on the rear bumper .

Since the AutoX is in a parking lot, there’s a lot of little rocks, I was hoping this will protect the paint.

I’m gonna buy a used front bumper bra, to use on just AutoX or Track days. But for now do you think the “painter’s tape” will work? Is it bad for the paint?

Any input or advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

if you want perfect paint...say home, you'll just drive yourself crazy
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Go to Wal-Mart and get some clear shelf paper. I've used various tapes and the bigger size of the shelf paper lets you get-er-done more quickly...

Pay attention to the area behind the wheels (front and back) where the fenders are rolled into the wheel wells. Stones get thrown up from the tires and really eat those spots. I've seen cars that looked like those areas were sand blasted from running sticky tires.

You only have to go about to the drivers door on the front rocker panel to avoid much in the way of stone chips. OTOH, if you hit as many pylons as I do, you may want to further back along the rocker panels to keep the pylon scuffs off of the paint...

Better to put it on the night before after you clean the car to get it to stick better..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
mjorgensen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have some clear bra installed, I know it won't help you this weekend but for the future. Also a fresh coat of wax will help "release" cone marks if you get them soon. Mine will usually rub off in the pits right after, follow with a nice cleaner wax and head back out!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Go to Wal-Mart and get some clear shelf paper. I've used various tapes and the bigger size of the shelf paper lets you get-er-done more quickly...
I've used clear Wal Mart shelf paper with excellent results for the past 6 years. There are plenty of rock chips/sand ebrasion on the bottom of the rocker panels, but that's from almost 170,000 miles on the road. Also try it on the mirrors, they get more rash than you would expect.

You'll never keep the paint perfect if you drive the car. A little work on paint protection will pay off in much longer paint life.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing you should have to worry about on the FRONT of the car are possible cone marks. Your not following another car, so no rocks being kicked up by the car ahead.

Behind the wheels, yes. That area you will want to protect.

Shouldn't see much issue with the rear bumper at autocrosses either.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Jameel
Racer

Originally Posted by Solofast

Pay attention to the area behind the wheels (front and back) where the fenders are rolled into the wheel wells. Stones get thrown up from the tires and really eat those spots. I've seen cars that looked like those areas were sand blasted from running sticky tires.

You only have to go about to the drivers door on the front rocker panel to avoid much in the way of stone chips. OTOH, if you hit as many pylons as I do, you may want to further back along the rocker panels to keep the pylon scuffs off of the paint...

Better to put it on the night before after you clean the car to get it to stick better..
Originally Posted by z28cp
The only thing you should have to worry about on the FRONT of the car are possible cone marks. Your not following another car, so no rocks being kicked up by the car ahead.

Thanks for the advice guys. So what kind of tape should I use to hold the shelf paper? Or does the shelf paper have some kind of adehisve?!

I don't expect the paint to stay perfect, but I would like to protect it a bit.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Several AutoXers in my club use blue painters tape and it works very well.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I don't get any more damage at an autocross than I get driving on the street.

Bill
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by z28cp

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't get any more damage at an autocross than I get driving on the street.

Bill

Painters tape or shelf paper will work fine though. The shelf paper is sticky and should stay on with no problems, but you may want to tape the leading edges just to be safe.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Jameel
Thanks for the advice guys. So what kind of tape should I use to hold the shelf paper? Or does the shelf paper have some kind of adehisve?!

I don't expect the paint to stay perfect, but I would like to protect it a bit.
The shelf paper has an adhesive backing that works fine for a full day of autocross. I've been on some pavements that are clean and throw virtually nothing on the paint; other lots generate plenty of dirt and gravel.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
lbarnard
Racer

DupliColor Shield Temporary. Try it. I have used this on my car during HPDE sessions. Clear or Black. Lasts 3 days washes right off. It does not completely wash off in the rain. All the road grime, tire scuffs wash right off.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lbarnard
DupliColor Shield Temporary. Try it. I have used this on my car during HPDE sessions. Clear or Black. Lasts 3 days washes right off. It does not completely wash off in the rain. All the road grime, tire scuffs wash right off.
I've looked everywhere, but can't find that product anywhere. Where do you get it?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Used to get it at WalMart. Sometimes at AutoZone or Advanced Auto found this place below:

http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/Kryl...ylic-Enamel_41

Get notified of new replies

To Protecting paint at AutoX?

Quick Reply: Protecting paint at AutoX?