Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have I done???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM
kpctoy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What have I done???

Setting camber this afternoon on my C5Z. I have Hardbar studs so it's just a matter of washers but one of the nuts stripped and I couldn't back it off the stud. I tried cutting it, couldn't get a good angle. I tried using a screwdriver under the nut to try and put pressure on it so it would back off when it suddenly got easier to turn. Apparently the stud must have broke the weld on the nut inside of the frame because now I can't get the stud or nut out or off. What the hell do I do now??? I've got an event Sunday and it's not looking good...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The "nut" inside is a nutsert not welded.

I'd try cutting the stud somehow, then pulling the remains from the frame. Then find the next size up nutsert, ream the hole out so that its true, and drop the new nutsert in.

Funny, I was worried about this happening with the stock bolts, and built my own stud kit (before gary or pfadt had theirs out).
Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had something similar happen, but I was able to double nut the stud and remove it for replacement. One thing I noticed with the hardbar studs is that the shank is quite long and if you have a less than 3 washers total under the nut it can bottom out on the shank and strip. I have the pfadt upper shafts. The stock ones may be thicker and require less washers. What I recommend is to use a minimum of three washers. Even if you want max negative camber and run the wishbone shafts up against the frame then just install the three, or more, washers under the nut as spacers.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I painstakingly insalled all my pfadt studs backwards... red loctited and all

2 nuts, a plumbers torch, a 2 box wrenches and 4 grazed knuckles later they were all out.

I had great luck with the "2 nuts and a little heat" method to get the very stubborn studs out.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
kpctoy
Instructor

Ttt
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

those nutserts are a PITA. I've stripped several out, and I simply cut a hole on the backside of the frame and run a bolt all the way through. I'll invest in a nutsert kit one of these days.......
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

The nutserts are a PITA. I recommend to Kevin that he use a weld-on nut from AA-MFG.com for $2.19 each. They come 3/8-24 and all you do is run a M10-1.5 tap through it and drill the hole in the frame to 3/4 and weld it on. It should take about 1/2 and hour total and then it is more robust than the OE.

http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=536

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
kpctoy
Instructor

Thanks again Gary,

YOU DA MAN!

Get notified of new replies

To What have I done???

Quick Reply: What have I done???