Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roebling Road Double National Results...and video

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roebling Road Double National Results...and video

Roebling weekend report: The test day went fairly well for me and I want to thank Lance for helping me out on Thursday!!!! God knows I need the seat time in this thing!!

On the Friday morning qual session, the yellow 33 BP car dumped an engine entering turn 8... but I didn't know that until I turned in though and went for one wild ride. It was just like a sheet of ice - no chance! Data showed I left the track at around 100 mph, turned sideways and skidded for an eternity. The car turned backward and headed for the tree line. I had the clutch and brakes down, but the grass was still wet and there was just no stopping it. I hit the trees around 30 mph at an angle, but it wasn't a real hard thud. When I got out of the car, I found out why - I missed a big pine in front by about 3 feet and a pine behind me about 3 feet. I somehow managed to parallel park this thing in the tree line between those 2 trees. I hit the smaller 1-2 inch sized trees and scrub brush. The car was skinned up a bit, cracked a lower panel and knocked out the RR reverse light, but other than that, it was good to go. After an hour or so of waxing and tree sap remover, it was track ready. Whew! I must be livin' right. I'll be picking twigs and berries out of this thing for months though!

As we were standing on the grid for the start of Race 1, Phil said: "The more things change, the more they stay the same." Ain't that the truth! I was on pole for race 1, but Phil got a great (Ahem) start and lead into turn 1. I was forced to endure that view for the next 21 laps. He couldn't get away from me and I couldn't really gain on him until the very end. Our fastest lap times were separated by 6 thousandths of a second!

Race 2 was every bit exciting as the first one. Phil was on the pole for race 2 and at the start, Jerry missed a shift and I tucked in behind Phil going into turn 1. As we came around turn 5, a GT1 car ran off the track and came back on clipping my RR quarterpanel. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtQe5h5iyXQ We talked afterward and he aplogized for not staying off track (both feet in) - just a racin' deal. The RR has a very small nick in the paint and some rubber marks and the RR wheel and tire had a chunk or two of his front end, but other than that, it was OK. Unreal!

I began reeling in Mr. Croyle and after a few laps, he held his line going into 1 and I dove in hard under the brakes and managed to make it stick. Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLrwyadt1Hc We went nose to tail for the rest of the race and I managed to pull out a second or two at the end. Our fastest laps were separated this time by a whopping 11 thousandths of a second. I doubt we were separated on track by more than 2 seconds during both races, despite traffic and everything else that happens during an event.

I was really hoping Stan would show up and Russ Snow would run, but Stan went to Indy I guess and Russ had power steering issues that all the kings horses and men couldn't fix. Sorry buddy!

See you guys at CMP...in August. Ugh.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice job, why to finish strong with all that crap going on
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

nice vids,, gt-1 didn't give you much place to hide!!!! i guess scratches are to be expected...

Johnny
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Nice vids - for what happened, you came out pretty good! It looked like the new car pulls slightly on the top end (before you both got onto the brakes in the pass video).
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I think Phil actually shifted to 5th there because the new car is actually 1-2 mph slower at the top end than my C5...according to the data. SCCA set the min weight of the LS3 to 3530 lbs!!! ...which just kills it.

I was a bit quicker than Phil on race #2, so he may have backed out of it a bit too to follow me for a while. He could have easily defended his position into turn 1, but gave me a shot to lead for a while - gentlemen racing and all.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
woosch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!! Dang Chris!! Glad the car wasn't hurt to badly.

Get notified of new replies

To Roebling Road Double National Results...and video

Quick Reply: Roebling Road Double National Results...and video