Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stewart back to driving a Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Stewart back to driving a Chevy

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1566236142
Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least he won't have Kyle Busch to deal with.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Now I can cheer for Tony again. It makes me sick to watch those "Toyotas" race (and "win"). Not that I'm much of a NASCAR fan anymore but I still like the road races and some short tracks occasionally.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Cr0usEEE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it makes me sick to think people actually think the badge on the front of the car matters in NASCAR.

Kinda like IRL and Honda...its all spec crap. At least F1 is going back to slicks and 60% less aero so it should be fun to watch again. No TC has made it much more interesting this year already.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cr0usEEE
And it makes me sick to think people actually think the badge on the front of the car matters in NASCAR.
I wish they'd run REAL stock cars like in the early days.

I think the bodies are all basically the same on the Cup cars. But aren't the engines based on whatever make they are driving?

I've pretty much lost interest in NASCAR - except I like the road courses. I still root for the Labonte's (hometown boys). But I usually end up falling asleep on the catch when I try to watch NASCAR.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian
Sorry for stealing this thread but, please empty your private message inbox. I tried to answer you earlier this week.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Cr0usEEE

Kinda like IRL and Honda...its all spec crap. At least F1 is going back to slicks and 60% less aero so it should be fun to watch again. No TC has made it much more interesting this year already.
That cars are spec cars, save the facias, but the engines are not.

Chevies new RO7 which replaces the SB2.2

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/16/g...nascar-engine/

http://www.circletrack.com/featuredv...ads/index.html
Old 07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I saw in person at PRI show and even with the carb and distributor, I had to catch myself from drooling on it. I mean with almost 900HP @10K RPM, you have to have some respect.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I saw in person at PRI show and even with the carb and distributor, I had to catch myself from drooling on it. I mean with almost 900HP @10K RPM, you have to have some respect.
Its amazing what a "low tech" motor is capable of. At full song those things don't even sound like v8s any more, they just scream.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

There are alot of very nice things that enhance reliability like 3 bolts around each exhaust that are easy to get to, integrated valvespring oilers in the valve covers, O ring grooves in the head rather than gaskets, etc. At the Jesel booth, they had an RO7 head that you could pick up and it reminded me of a gang of 4 moto-X bike heads with ribs transferring from head bolt loads. Speaking of Jesel, the rockers were pieces of jewelry. The dry sump pump setup is much cleaner than before, with less kludgy brackets.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Cr0usEEE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
That cars are spec cars, save the facias, but the engines are not.

Chevies new RO7 which replaces the SB2.2

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/16/g...nascar-engine/

http://www.circletrack.com/featuredv...ads/index.html

Yet all the engines are checked by NASCAR on an engine dyno repeatedly throughout the year with spot checks on chassis dynos to make sure no one has an "unfair" advantage. If found a smaller spec carb can be required per manufacturer. Sounds pretty close to spec to me even though a different sticker is on the valve cover.

I was thinking about getting one of the Toyota NASCAR engines to place into my on going chevelle restoration due to contacts at work. All the attach parts fit from the ford/chevy engines so no worries about some unobtanium water pump letting me down.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

That would be interesting! How much do these engines cost?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is rumored that the Toyota Cup motor is based on the Dodge Cup motor. There's even one rumor which says they somehow "got access" to some Dodge proprietary parts, or even a whole engine.

Regardless, the Gibbs Toyota motors this season typically make a minimum of 22 HP more than the Chevy engines (and even more than that over the current Ford engines). Nascar's Competition Director said that right now there is about a 3% horsepower disparity, and they typically try to maintain half of that, which begs the question: how long will they let the Gibb's cars continue to have that advantage? The Comp director said they are looking into what they might do to address it. Watch for something in the next few weeks...

Get notified of new replies

To Stewart back to driving a Chevy

Quick Reply: Stewart back to driving a Chevy