Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires and Wheels for Autocrossing a '94

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Bill Wilson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires and Wheels for Autocrossing a '94

After a seventeen year absence I'm getting ready to try my hand at autocrossing again. The last autocross event I ran was at the Roebling Road road course under NCCC rules in a Group II/Class B '72 Corvette Coupe running on BFG T/A Radials. Now, I have a '94 Corvette coupe, automatic without the big brake option. I have obtained some free extra wheels and tires to use for an upcoming autocross event and I need some basic tire/wheel advice.
I have two Kumho V700 tires in size 315/ZR35/17 and two Hoosier R6 tires in size 295/ZR35/17. I have a set of gray painted, 5-spoke OEM Corvette Wheels off a 1999 -2 in the size 9.5" X 17 and two in the size 11" X 17. I also have two additional Corvette C5 styled chromed wheels (unknown model year) that are 11" X 17 but they have slightly more offset to them and would move the tires inward what appears to be about 3/4 of an inch.
I was thinking of running the Hoosiers on the front and the Kumhos on the rear and mounting the Hoosiers on the 11" X 17" gray painted Corvette wheels and the Kumhos on the chrome 11" X 17 wheels with the slightly greater offset.
Is this the best set-up for the tires and wheels that I have presently avaiable? Should I anticipate having a clearance problem on the front of my Corvette with the use of a 295/ZR35 Hooiser and an 11" Corvette wheel?
Thanks for all comments and helpful hints.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:12 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know there are people who run the 11's on the front, but i don't know how they do it. You could just run the 295's on the 9.5" wheels and not have any problem. My dad is acutally using 315's on a 9.5" wheel on the front of his 90 ZR1 and i know a guy fron anderson running the same on a standard 95.

Quick Reply: Tires and Wheels for Autocrossing a '94