Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alms Lrp

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Alms Lrp

I went to watch the ALMS at LRP. The corvettes were running 1-2 all day long. The C6R is the only car that sounds like a hot rod. all the other cars sound like a whiny rice burner.

Saw the ZR1 in the corvette tent. pretty impressive, and it was obvious they had it out on the track. The tires gave it away. They were pretty scrubbed up.

also noticed many of the race cars appeared to have harnesses that were installed incorrectly, or not optimal. At least from what I have learned over the past 5 years. The harnesses were mounted 2 feet behind the drivers seat. I thought the idea is to have the harnesses mounted as close to the seat back at possible.. This will eliminate belt stretch in a frontal collision. I can't imagine ALMS cars would be done like that, but I saw many cars where the belts were mounted way back. There must be a reason.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,

How did the track look? Did they run the new configuration?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the cage looks entirely inadequate as well.

Rick
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

They were running the new configuration. Looks like speeds are much slower, also it looks harder on brakes, and tires. We were able to walk on the new surface prior to the race. Looks good.

Had to be 100,000 people there. It's open pits, you can just walk around any where you want to. Talk to the drivers, and crew....
They were using these new positioning lights on the 1/4 panels, which tells you which cars are up front. It makes following the race easier.

After seeing the new configuration, I have the urge to go back to LRP. Just to try something different. I never liked LRP in the past, but maybe this will be different.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by the blur
They were running the new configuration. Looks like speeds are much slower, also it looks harder on brakes, and tires. We were able to walk on the new surface prior to the race. Looks good.

Had to be 100,000 people there. It's open pits, you can just walk around any where you want to. Talk to the drivers, and crew....
They were using these new positioning lights on the 1/4 panels, which tells you which cars are up front. It makes following the race easier.

After seeing the new configuration, I have the urge to go back to LRP. Just to try something different. I never liked LRP in the past, but maybe this will be different.

Thanks for the response. I have always liked the old configuration-easy on the brakes with fast corners. I look foward to going back!

Steven
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to watch the ALMS at LRP. The corvettes were running 1-2 all day long. The C6R is the only car that sounds like a hot rod. all the other cars sound like a whiny rice burner.

Saw the ZR1 in the corvette tent. pretty impressive, and it was obvious they had it out on the track. The tires gave it away. They were pretty scrubbed up.

also noticed many of the race cars appeared to have harnesses that were installed incorrectly, or not optimal. At least from what I have learned over the past 5 years. The harnesses were mounted 2 feet behind the drivers seat. I thought the idea is to have the harnesses mounted as close to the seat back at possible.. This will eliminate belt stretch in a frontal collision. I can't imagine ALMS cars would be done like that, but I saw many cars where the belts were mounted way back. There must be a reason.
who else were the C6R's running against?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default here's some pictures from the race yesterday..

linky in general section..
Old 07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Anyone know what's up with Lou and the LG Motorsports #28 GT2?
Old 07-13-2008, 03:04 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Just watched the race and in my opinion the track looks great. The old configuration is still there and the track looks very smooth.

Steven
Old 07-13-2008, 04:17 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the PTG Panoz not sound like a hot rod?

How did these ALMS racecars sound like rice burners at LRP?

Audi R10
Lola B06/10 AER
DBR9
V8 Vantage GT2
Dodge Viper
Doran Ford GT

DYSON'S GREATEST MOMENT? YOU DECIDE

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4409

Originally Posted by johnodrake
no more doug peterson
Old 07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something tells me you were not at the race, or you just have that much blind devotion to Corvettes you mock or ridicule everything else on the track.

The harnesses, are not installed incorrectly. You will not see anybody skimping on safety on any of those vehicles.

Originally Posted by John Shiels
who else were the C6R's running against?
Bell was back with their AM 008 car. Lasted 61 laps until the Audi took them out.

Originally Posted by johnodrake
No money, no racing.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watched it on TV and track does look good. I didn't mind the bumps. Bumps shows how good you suspension works and how well you remember where they are at a track with bumps.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Just finished watching it on the DVR. What an awesome race!!! Way better then the Rolex race. IMHO they did a great job with the track. A little more time for the grass to grow is needed though.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the parade lap on Friday the track is very smooth and they changed to a scalloped curbing. I was in the minority before and actually liked the track. I can’t wait now to run it at speed. I also had a great spot for the race Right at the new chicane. It is definitely the most dangerous spot under race conditions because of the track narrowing on the corner. The Audi driver was not happy he gave a friendly salute to the Austin driver. The Ferrari team also had problems with this corner they were plowing a new turn.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Just finished watching...awesome race!! I liked the new layout too.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

I ran the parade lap on Friday the track is very smooth and they changed to a scalloped curbing. I was in the minority before and actually liked the track. I can’t wait now to run it at speed. I also had a great spot for the race Right at the new chicane. It is definitely the most dangerous spot under race conditions because of the track narrowing on the corner. The Audi driver was not happy he gave a friendly salute to the Austin driver. The Ferrari team also had problems with this corner they were plowing a new turn.
I do believe I saw your car there if your screen name is also on your car!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:36 PM
BicketyBam
Racer

I went Friday and Saturday. I love the new viewing areas.

The C6.R's sound awesome, but the Panoz, Viper and Ford GT sounded great too. And who doesn't like the sound of a Ferrari?

What a great place to watch a race. This is becoming an annual event for me.

Here's the poor Aston getting lapped. It was a few laps down when he went out, so it's not like they lost a shot at anyting:

Get notified of new replies

To Alms Lrp

Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

So why is it that we beat the ASTONS almost everywhere but 24 HOURS OF LEMANS and Maybe the petite Lemans??
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

with my back turned to the track, I can tell every time the C6R passed. They sound sooooooo different than any other car. Obviously you never heard one. and yes, I was fixated on the C6R, no doubt. They were running 1 2 all day, but I think there wern't all that many GT1 cars, so they do need more competition.

Also, explain why they are mounting harnesses 2 feet behind the drivers seat. Harnesses do stretch upon impact, and the longer the harness, the futher they stretch. I have heard if harnesses are too long, your helmet will smash the steering wheel upon a frontal impact.
There is a formula of how much they stretch per foot of harness.

There harnesses were mounted 2 feet back, in a X pattern. maybe they calculate how much stretch there will be.... and that absorbs the impact. I have never seen it before, and would like to learn why they do it like that.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with my back turned to the track, I can tell every time the C6R passed. They sound sooooooo different than any other car. Obviously you never heard one.
Considering I hit about 6 ALMS events a year, I know what they sound like. And what the Panoz sounds like which also has that distinct American V8 sound.

and yes, I was fixated on the C6R, no doubt. They were running 1 2 all day, but I think there wern't all that many GT1 cars, so they do need more competition.
There were three total, until the AM got involved in an accident.

Also, explain why they are mounting harnesses 2 feet behind the drivers seat. Harnesses do stretch upon impact, and the longer the harness, the futher they stretch. I have heard if harnesses are too long, your helmet will smash the steering wheel upon a frontal impact.
There is a formula of how much they stretch per foot of harness.

There harnesses were mounted 2 feet back, in a X pattern. maybe they calculate how much stretch there will be.... and that absorbs the impact. I have never seen it before, and would like to learn why they do it like that.
I can't explain it, but that is what is so unique about the ALMS series, you can ask. Ask the pros, not some goof ***** on the forum who think they know it all from HPDE.

Quick Reply: Alms Lrp