Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get by with Dewitt or LG with IOC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Can I get by with Dewitt or LG with IOC?

I have overheated my coolant last 2 track days at Rd Atl and Lowes. It only happens after riding with intructors. I am ready to upgrade the radiator and seeing I will be doing that, I thought I would go ahead and do the oil cooler and accusump while it was all apart. It would be nice if I could just get the radiator/oil cooler knocked out in one move, but I am supercharged also. My car is a dd and I do about 10 track days a year. I would like to do the install myself as I have access to a lift if that matters. Thoughts.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put LG radiators / oil coolers on both of my C6. Have not had an overheating problem since.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Ron Davis Racing radiator but I think you will be fine with any top brand like Dewitts or LG.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watching this thread... I haven't over heated my car yet but I know its only a matter of time as i get more and more time behind the wheel.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I have the same question with a similar application. I have supercharged C5 Coupe and possibly looking to put in some track days with it, although first on my list now is looking to purchase a C5Z and installing the cooling mods mentioned by "waddisme" . It seems with my past experience with cooling I have had better results with a high performance radiator and a seperate oil cooler mounted in the airstrem. Does a Ron Davis cool better than a Dewitts on the track? I have heard that the RD has more fins per inch (17) making it more effective at track speeds than the Dewitts unit...although I've heard the opposite with the Dewitts being more effective at cooling in street driving due to 12 fins per inch and allowing better flow-through at lower speeds. Something to think about I guess
Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was overheating my car to the point the "Reduce Engine RPM" warning would flash, within 5-6 laps. I installed the Ron Davis radiator and have not exceeded 260 yet, and last time out it was about 115 degrees track temp. My buddy has the LG and he was at about 285 he said, but he also has a 402 if that makes any difference. From what I remember Dewitt doesnt even contest the fact that the RD works better during track conditions, I believe the selling point for them was that their radiator worked better for street applications than RD. Which is exactly why I got the RD.

Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Updated information

Originally Posted by throwit
From what I remember Dewitt doesnt even contest the fact that the RD works better during track conditions, I believe the selling point for them was that their radiator worked better for street applications than RD. Which is exactly why I got the RD.

Good Luck!
You guys need to see this thead

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=dewitts
Old 07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
throwit
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
That post you reference is very recent, and I am not sure if you posted that to somehow refute the post I made (since you quoted it)...

But I clearly recall you (Tom Dewitt) saying something to the effect of the RD radiator working better in track conditions, but for everybody who doesn't ride around at 90+ mph it doesn't work as well (as yours). I remember reading that about a year ago prior to purchasing my radiator, while I was still "on the fence". After reading that, I got the impression that your product was not a true track/race product, and was more for street/hpde applications, and therefore I got the RD.

I assume you have made some improvements since then, possibly because of track influence, but I do not work for/sell/advertise RD and have absolutely no reason or incentive to favor either company, or fabricate a statement I read.

I am sure your radiator is a great product. Thanks for supporting the forum.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a pretty good thread. Hopefully when C5 people search, they will find my thread and the link to the C6 thread. It answers most of my questions. Direct fit, American made, Forum sponsor, great deal. That was pretty easy decision - DeWitts. I will call tomorrow to discuss the oil cooler option.

Thanks.

Last edited by waddisme; 07-16-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by throwit
I assume you have made some improvements since then.
Yep - It's all explained in the link Tom posted.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

DeWitts is ordered. Now to find a how to install write up. Too bad Ron Davis is not a forum vendor to explain why his radiator is costs more and why . Thanks Tom.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

If I had to do it all over again I'd go with a stand alone radiator and stand alone oil cooler on a track driven car. Then in the winter throw a metal cover over the oil cooler (the old Polish T-stat trick)

I currently run a dewitts radiator w/ left side EOC. I found that my max oil temps in 90+ weather with 430+ rwhp at VIR were 278 at the end of a very hard 30 min session. It never got over 280.

Last weekend I was driving my Father's Z16 Z06 (our panoz had a ****ty fuel pump) and I was in the 290s after a few hard laps shifting at 6000 rpm w/ only a Halltech air intake for mods.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
If I had to do it all over again I'd go with a stand alone radiator and stand alone oil cooler on a track driven car.

I have the DeWitts radiator WITHOUT the integrated oil cooler - using a separate LPE oil cooler, with great results on the track!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

288* is as high as I've seen my oil. Coolant has tripped dummy switch last 2 track days. I think I can do the radiator myself, but I may let someone else do the oil cooler and accusump. Thanks for the imput guys.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by AlohaC5

I have the DeWitts radiator WITHOUT the integrated oil cooler - using a separate LPE oil cooler, with great results on the track!
^ Is yours the oil cooler that mounts behind the swaybar? Or is it up front in front of the condensor?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Is yours the oil cooler that mounts behind the swaybar? Or is it up front in front of the condensor?
The LPE oil cooler is setup in front of the condensor.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
The LPE oil cooler is setup in front of the condensor.
Gotcha... some of their older kits had it mounted behind the swayber on the driver's side in a similar location to the OEM powersteering cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I get by with Dewitt or LG with IOC?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run the dewitts with 4-5 bottles of water wetter and pure water. No coolant. Dropped my average temps close to 30-40 degrees compared to coolant and water. Dewitts and ron davis are pretty similiar radiators. No idea on the LG b/c I have never seen one in person. Just make sure you add coolant if your temps ever get below freezing..
Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That will be my next move if the DeWitts doesn't do it. I hope to have by this weekend to get it in. I am doing Lowes in Aug and VIR in Sept. Last yr when I went to VIR in Sept, it was 107*. First time at track with car so didn't know how to drive it so it never got close to overheating. Last 2 track days in the low 90s have pushed me to the edge. But both times, I had instructors pushing me faster and faster. My driving has a lot to do to catch up to car .
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
throwit
Drifting

Originally Posted by waddisme
Too bad Ron Davis is not a forum vendor to explain why his radiator is costs more and why .
I paid $1050 shipped for everything (Ron Davis Rad w/ IOC and Lines) from Rippie.

How much cheaper was the Dewitt?

Quick Reply: Can I get by with Dewitt or LG with IOC?