Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs

Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Except NASCAR guys will run different non-adjustable shocks at every track, and will even swap shocks or re-valve the same day to get valving that suits the car/track/driver on that day...
I think that is what I was saying. But the point is that they have a whole group of shock engineers and techs to dial the shocks in and the difference between the "Worst vs the Best" set up might only come out to 3 feet per lap.

That is my point. If a couple of hundredths of a sec is important at a track day, then by all means get adjustable shocks. But aside from that, our package is a well balanced and dialed in coil over shock. Built by Bilstein to our specs that we arrive at on track with the Bilstein engineers with us.

Anyway, keep hitting the apexes and you will be faster than any shock can make you.

Thanks

Lou g
Old 07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you also said that was or may not be the only thing in the mix I believe. I doubt 4 seconds was gained on a Moton vs. a Penske. 4 seconds as we know is huge in a 1:30 track.
Yes, in all truthfulness, I also doubt very much that 4 secs was picked up from ONLY the Motons, which is why I said what I said about it not being the only factor. But even if 1 of the 4 seconds gained can be attributed to the switch, then it was worth it.

Its real simple for me...Times talk, bs walks...If you know any verifiable Fast (and Fast is relative remember) laptimes, being done by non-ALMS/World Challenge guys running Penske, then please post them. I do not have an affinity to Moton, JRZ, or anyone for that matter, I go only off of results.

If the NASA guys were running Penske, and doing a 1:33.6 at Mid-O in a GTS3 car (11:1 p/w, please keep that in mind), then guess what? Id be the biggest Penske fan there is. But they arent. Im not saying no one who is winning is running Penske, or putting down incredible laptimes, I just dont know them. Feel free to let me know who they are when you find out.

http://mylaps.com/results/newResults...25&highlight=1

Last edited by throwit; 07-16-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by throwit
I dont know the engineering that goes into developing shocks or how they are created. Like I said, I can only base them off the times people are doing with them, so this may be a dumb question...

But, would it be possible to have a coilover package that you have set to a certain valving you have found to be ideal, and still have it adjustable for those who choose to deviate from those settings?

Would you be able to develop a LG valved shock, shipped with initial settings of X,Y,Z that mimic your current valving, but have additional adjustment capabilities to soften/stiffen or whatever else?

Just like the T1 bars, they were initially unadjustable, but when they released the adjustable version you could still have that same T1 stiffness if you wished or you could change...

I think that would be worth the development effort if its feasible.

Good questions.

First, there is no shock valving that is "Ideal" but rather it is the best "Compromise".

Any track will have a set of corners or bumps that need to be dealt with.

Sebring is the bumpiest track around, so the shocks need a good blow off capability.

Atlanta is pretty smooth, so the low speed control is more important.

But keep in mind that what I have said is that a good bilstein shock valving will be good on 95% of the tracks (and 95% of a particular track). And an adjustable (By that I mean a Real adjustable) will allow a qualified shock expert to deal with the other 5 or 10% of the track features.

We are working with Bilstein to build us a shock that we can do just that. On our World challenge car, in 07, we did have Bilstein shocks with bump and rebound adjusters. and our basic LG valving was set in the center of the adjustment.

With our ALMS Corvette GT2 car, we ran Penske shocks because that class required every inch or foot that you could get.

Right now the shock that is considered the best in Road Racing seems to be "JRI" shocks. JR was a former Penske Shock engineer that started his own company. (Isn't America Great!)

The way to go now is the new shaft displacement shocks that have a through shaft that eliminates the variation that comes from only having a shaft on one side of the piston. the through shaft has a shaft on each side of the piston so there is no shaft volume to be delt with. Thanks

LG

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
throwit
Drifting

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
keep hitting the apexes and you will be faster than any shock can make you.
Its hitting them 5 mph faster than you did the last time around thats the problem
Old 07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
throwit
Drifting

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
We are working with Bilstein to build us a shock that we can do just that. On our World challenge car, in 07, we did have Bilstein shocks with bump and rebound adjusters. and our basic LG valving was set in the center of the adjustment.
I am sure you will let us know when this becomes available
Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Tavarez
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice thread
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tavarez
nice thread
If you are interested in a lot of vendor bickering.

I think it would be wise to listen to vendors explaining the characteristics of their own product rather than bashing on other companies products.

There are a lot of good products out on the market. Whether a product is right for you depends on where in the compromise spectrum you want to be. Dedicated track car, dual purpose car, street cruiser...

There are a lot of great features of our Pfadt coilovers including the ability to set ride height independent of shock travel. That allows you to run your car at a stock ride height or a full track ride height without risk of bottoming or topping out. We also provide some adjustment for tuning your car. Don't believe that you are not skilled enough to tune your suspension. You know whether your car is pushing or oversteering, you should have a tool to be able to correct it.

CF is full of happy Pfadt customers, they speak for our product much better than I can. If you would like technical information, visit our website or call and talk to myself or my staff. We are happy to provide infomation and advice.

-Aaron
Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant believe I started this!!!!!!!!!

Cant believe I started this!!!!!!!!! This was my first post on CF. Thanks for all the responses. More products out there than I realized. It seems that each has its + and -. Value equals the total of alot of variables, each of which can be more or less important to the end user. There is quality, durability, cost, performance and on and on and on.

It would be great to see a blind test of these products by both professional, TT, and entry level drivers. Obviously, some of these guys can really drive (and win) on any of the 3 or 4 top set ups. But what about the Intermediate and Novice driver. What differences (if any) will the "avg." guy see between them?

Any takers to a TEST?

Thanks again for all the great input
Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by 9707vette
Cant believe I started this!!!!!!!!! This was my first post on CF. Thanks for all the responses. More products out there than I realized. It seems that each has its + and -. Value equals the total of alot of variables, each of which can be more or less important to the end user. There is quality, durability, cost, performance and on and on and on.

It would be great to see a blind test of these products by both professional, TT, and entry level drivers. Obviously, some of these guys can really drive (and win) on any of the 3 or 4 top set ups. But what about the Intermediate and Novice driver. What differences (if any) will the "avg." guy see between them?

Any takers to a TEST?

You will find that I never turn down an opportunity to test our products against ANY on the market. We have done our homework on the track all over the USA.

Headers, radiators, shocks or any product that we make or endorse.

So bring the test and I am in.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM
throwit
Drifting

Any takers to a TEST?
Im first in line to be a test driver...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

We are in as well, as long as there is some way to test for long term durabiility (i.e. no gas pressure leaks, blown seals on the shaft and piston, no rust, etc) and a post event complete tear down and inspection. I am happy to demonstrate what the Hardbar Penskes look like, (internally) before, and after, and again a year later. Lets beat them up and mike 'um after!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any takers to a TEST?

What are we testing??? Feel, lap times, tire wear, setup, street, high speed, easy to drive, and etc. The problems that I see are what tires are we using (heat cycles, pressures, size and etc). I wouldn't care what track besides, I have seen tracks slow down or speed up by a few seconds everyday. How many laps?

At one point our company did a bunch of tunner shoot-outs with motor-trend, and other mags like that. Well after we found out we were the only company racing what we sold against a bunch of house cars. We at that time told them we weren't interested in doing them anymore. Why because we took customer's cars not some crazy house car.

I would be interested too, it's about time something like this happened I think.

Randy
Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

steel shocks will never dump heat like aluminum body shocks.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

There are alot of variables as stated, so how about a dyno test? We could control that, keep it equal, run it for hours. We could see how they last, and have DATA to compare before, during, and after? With a decent camera and lens, we could see what they look like inside, before and after.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
steel shocks will never dump heat like aluminum body shocks.
Steel shocks don't grow like aluminum shock either.

Randy
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

I'll provide the dyno!

All we would need then is the conversion chart that translates dyno curves to lap times and we'll be set.

-Aaron
Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ghoffman
There are alot of variables as stated, so how about a dyno test? We could control that, keep it equal, run it for hours. We could see how they last, and have DATA to compare before, during, and after? With a decent camera and lens, we could see what they look like inside, before and after.
Dynos are a great tool. But show nothing when it comes to performance. Look at chassis dynos, we have a customer that is over 100 RWHP lower then his friend, yet beats him by over a .5 second in the 1/8 mile. What do you want the plots to look like? I have a file cabinet full of shock dyno graphs.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs

Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Good news from the track guys.

Lou's coilovers
Pfadt's swaybars
Gary's seat rails and shifter
our cage, engine, coolers, mono *****

Road America short shifting reach a top speed of 175mph with his personal lap record

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 07-17-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added the party
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

It not would necessarily not correlate to lap times, but it would show wear, heat effects, change over time and it has the advantage of being controlled, equal for all and easy to instrument (temp, friction,etc). It would also facilitate the post test teardown pics for all to see.
And aluminum bodies work great with aluminum pistons, and the dyno would certainly show that thermal expansion effect on some.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by ghoffman
It not would necessarily not correlate to lap times, but it would show wear, heat effects, change over time and it has the advantage of being controlled, equal for all and easy to instrument (temp, friction,etc). It would also facilitate the post test teardown pics for all to see.
And aluminum bodies work great with aluminum pistons, and the dyno would certainly show that thermal expansion effect on some.
Hi Gary,

You and I both know that there are plenty of shaft and body wear issues on other brands. Severe wear infact. Blue overheated shafts etc.
I know that we don't have those issues and I am just as confident that the Penske's do not also.

Let me know what and when and I will be there.

Thanks
Lou G

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs