Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of NJMP - Lightning Course

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Review of NJMP - Lightning Course

I was privileged to be one of the first to run the new NJMP course in Millville, NJ on Friday with EMRA. It was very exciting as the local news was on-site and everything was brand new. I couldn't resist taking a few moments to provide everyone with a overview of the track and the facilities.

First the facilities as expected were top notch and well laid out. For a NJ resident it was fairly easy to get to, but once you get to downtown Millville, you do need to pay attention to the signs to find the entrance. There are acres and acres of land and plenty of space for all kinds of facilities. Compared to Crap Rock or Summit Dump, no expense was spared. Helpful staff and vending was everywhere, food and drink were plentlful to support the EMRA race. All the building were air conditioned and brand new. The bathrooms were actually more than just a couple of stalls and have plenty of space and were air conditioned (the little things make a nice difference). Getting to the paddock is a long ride around the track but gives you an opportunity to see the fast lightbulb turn and elevation changes. The paddock is well laid out with a combination of paved and grass areas. This paddock is large enought to hold an ALMS event with no problem. I think there were 200-300 cars and there was PLENTY of space for everyone.

The track:

The track is deceptively longer feeling than the 1.9m rating and the elevation changes are awesome! I have done all the big NE tracks (VIR, WG, LRP, Pocono, Summit...) and in my opinion this may be the best of them all. WG will has a special place in my heart, but the Lightining is far more technical and many of the corners are even faster than at the Glen even though the track is shorter. Right away you can tell that all the entry, track out points, and elevation changes are placed perfectly to trick the driver and make it difficult to figure out the line (in a good way). There are a few BLIND corners where you can not see the other side of the apex and requires that you be placed in the proper position and just have "faith". The elevation changes peak out exactly at the apex of the corner, so you are mid turn when all of a sudden the pavement drops out like 20-30 feet beneath you. You need to be holding on tight and very precise with throttle inputs.

Here is an overhead picture and we can break down the corners one at a time...

Approaching Turn 1 (clockwise) at the end of Pit out, you are going VERY fast. I was taking it easy and shifting at 4.5krpm's to keep speeds down to simply trying to learn the track. I still hit around 135-140mph. Once I get use to the track, this could be a 160mph braking zone for the 427's. This is the most dramatic elevation change that the picture doesn't do justice. Right at the apex, the track drops into no mans land, too much exit throttle and you go for a ride. Turn one is mid speed corner with strong acceleration into the ESSES. The esses are like none I have ever seen and are a combination of about 4-5 turns. You first want to run very wide and take the traditional theory and after a couple sessions, this proves to be the wrong line and an early apex with wider exits proves the faster line. This is the most technical part of the course and HP won't do anything for you here. There are literally 20 different lines that are all fast, and passing during a real race is going to be out of this world.

Then you come to the next dramatic elevation change as you approach the long sweeper under the bridge. This is another turn where the elevation peaks out exactly at the apex and the corner is 100% blind and you need to be set up to track out properly or you going for a ride in the new grass. As I was "breifly" following some other cars, most cars were getting their inner wheel well off the ground. Traction is HUGE and ball must be big. Then the long sweeper into the braking zone under the bridge. One work is *****, the other is DEATH. That bridge and the fact that it is just about at the track out point of a 100+mph sweeper is very nerve racking. I still don't understand why a bridge was put there and I have a bad feeling someone is going to get hurt there eventually. A tunnel would have been the better path and still scratching my head about that design. Needless to say, that is a turn I will take easy.

Then braking under the bridge onto the strait just before the lightbulb. There is another elevation change that makes all out acceleration scary. Just as you hit the power band the car gets very light very fast. I could and would not hold the throttle to the floor on my 427 going over this hump. Until I have more events and get use to it, flat out acceleration take (again) big *****. Then into the lightbulb turn...just a tap on the brakes to settle the car and I got around the turn at a consistent 75mph. I can see another 5-8 mph with some more practice, but run-off room here is SCARCE and you WILL eat a tire barrier or the armco if you lose it. Not maybe, but you will eat something (again *****).

Then onto the main strait. Your already doing 75mph and applying more throttle, so you know your going to go fast. The main strait has a little kink and again another elevation change right where the car hits the power band. So like the strait entering the lightbulb in the big 427 holding down the throttle 100% is going to take ***** and practice. The car gets a little light at the top of the hill and to add more risk, they dug up and repaved the portion just at the top of the hill and the uneveness in my stiff LG suspension make this a white knuckle move. At least in my car, I felt the breif difference in pavement provided a little unsettling on the suspension that while under 6k rpm 427 peak hp, "could" throw the car sideways or at least that is the feeling that I got with SOTP.

Then full throttle and into the braking zone for turn one which is ALREADY bumpy and my car breifly "skipped" over a couple braking bumps while trying to stop from 130-140mph. This is going to get worse at each event. The track surface is so new and soft, I think it is going to create a problem in the braking zones and mid apex as the the asphalt seemed to already be slightly disformed and we were only the 3rd or 4th club at the track. The paddock was so soft that I could easily see jack stand sinking into the asphalt. I am thinking concrete in the corners will eventually be required like elsewhere.

My overall analysis is that the track is probably one of the most challenging 1.9 miles I have EVER come accross, speeds are WAY faster than one would expect on a 1.9 mile course and every corner takes brass ***** to take at 100%. Lighter cars will have a big advantage of being more nimble and if I had my C5 with a 346ci, I could have probably taken many of the elevation changes flat out as the power delivery is not as nasty as my current Z06.

Oh, and best part...it only took me 40 minutes with a stop for coffee to be at the race track

Last edited by 95jersey; 07-14-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic track! Exceptional facility! And it is only a little over 2 hrs. from my house in NJ.A must for any driver
I saw alot of C5's & 6's the HPDE day, I did not have a chance to talk to everyone, but said hello to a few.
#12 C4 Black corvette
Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up Matt
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bridges are cheaper than tunnels. Sounds like a place where you need excellent flaggers. It is where I bought my trailer and a 3 hr plus hike for me which puts it outside of the drive to track run and drive home. Restrooms, changing area, garages, power or air?

track on two wheels http://www.truveo.com/NJ-motorsport-park/id/1661437727

Good more competition for the other tracks!

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-14-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Input to Trackpedia track guide?

Trackpedia is opening a turn by turn guide for Lightning ... if you're interested in contributing ...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Matt thanks for the writeup.

I look forward to making this facility 10+ track days per year. With 2 tracks I think you will never get bored.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

great write-up. Looking forward to this Aug 5/6th.

Joel
Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Bugeater
Instructor

NE1 know how long of a tow it would be from Virginia Beach?

Is there a grocery store nearby that sells *****? Sounds like you go through a few per lap....

Nice writeup btw...
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Matt I assume they have race gas on site.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Nice review Matt . Thanks

I can't wait to have a day there myself. Looks like several of us have Aug 5-6 on the calendar.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Sunoco was there with a tanker truck, it had 93, 100, 110 & 112

Plans are for a permanent set up, it is just not complete yet, the people from Sunoco were talking about the set up.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Bridges are cheaper than tunnels. Sounds like a place where you need excellent flaggers. It is where I bought my trailer and a 3 hr plus hike for me which puts it outside of the drive to track run and drive home. Restrooms, changing area, garages, power or air?

track on two wheels http://www.truveo.com/NJ-motorsport-park/id/1661437727

Good more competition for the other tracks!
Power was available if you asked, there are flag stations like every 100ft or less. More than any other track I have seen. Restrooms and changing area are nice and air conditioned, I did not see any garages except for the tech area which had 2 small garages to tech cars. Everything else is ashpalt and grass paddock (bring your tent, there are NO trees for shade). I did not see air, as I had my own air pump. Concessions were open and the food was not to bad. You don't have the luxury of garages like Pocono, but for a road course, it is very good. There is gas and food available in the town which is 2 miles away. It's NJ, so even in the sticks, you are 5 minutes from some kind of "life", unlike Pocono or Lime Rock, or the Glen, which is in the middle of nowhere.

BTW...for out of towners...If you need to stay overnight, I actually recommend that you stay in Vineland and NOT Millville. Vineland is only 5 minutes from Millville. Unfortunately, one of the reason's the track got the go ahead is because Millville is a depressed area and there are sections not far from the track that you would NOT want to be walking at night. So, you might want to consider staying overnight in Vineland and NOT Millville itself.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

is milville that bad?
we have 2 rooms reserved at some hotel... I forget the name.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by the blur
is milville that bad?
we have 2 rooms reserved at some hotel... I forget the name.
we are staying at the Country Inn and heard it was fine.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by fmrfast
Sunoco was there with a tanker truck, it had 93, 100, 110 & 112

Plans are for a permanent set up, it is just not complete yet, the people from Sunoco were talking about the set up.
I hope that comes in for all events and not just because it was a race weekend.

I guess I will fill my 5 gallon jug before coming just in case.

thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 AM
fmrfast
Racer

we are staying at the Country Inn and heard it was fine.

There is no problem at the Country Inn, I stayed there last weekend for 3 nights for the EMRA race weekend, the people are very friendly the rooms are a little small but ok & it is close to the track right off of 55 I would definitely recommend it was $90 a night. Bar & food attached to the hotel
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
fmrfast
Racer

I hope that comes in for all events and not just because it was a race weekend.

I guess I will fill my 5 gallon jug before coming just in case.

thanks
That's a good point; it was a tanker truck so Sunoco felt it would be profitable to have their fuel there before the permanent set up was done. For a non race date they may not. I contacted EMRA, they told me fuel would be at the track, Contact the group who is putting on the event your attending they should know. Let me know when you are going I may take the day off & hook up with you guys. I can't stress how much I really like the place. For my car at 6.4 MPG under race conditions 5 gallons would not last me to long. I wonder if race fuel is available anywhere near by?

Get notified of new replies

To Review of NJMP - Lightning Course

Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
fmrfast
Racer

Originally Posted by Bugeater
NE1 know how long of a tow it would be from Virginia Beach?

Is there a grocery store nearby that sells *****? Sounds like you go through a few per lap....

Nice writeup btw...
You are looking at 5+ hr drive from VA Beach. It's worth it
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

How is the quality inn?
Is that in the same neighborhood?

The price is similiar to the country inn.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Default gas

I was there yesterday for an event and saw the tanker and some pumps behind it, however there was no gas availible for sale. I know SCCA is there this weekend. It may be available for them.

The track was fun but a little short. It would have been nicer to have a longer circut. The event had 25 cars with some different skill levels and it go crowed at times. Hopefully with an event where drivers are more appropriately placed it won't be that bad.

I'll be there Mon. and Tues. with PCA. I'll report back on how it is with 140 cars spread over 4 groups.

Quick Reply: Review of NJMP - Lightning Course