Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That does it...I'm buying a HANS. Quick question.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default That does it...I'm buying a HANS. Quick question.

After reading about a fellow NASA member breaking his neck in 2 places in a somewhat minor accident last month at Summit (Story here), I'm buying a HANS. I'm looking at their model 20 Sport Series, but I'm not sure which tether style to get.

The choices are:
Fixed
fixed Quick Disconnect
Sliding

Excuse my stupidity, but I don't know which is the better option. I want to buy the one that is the easiest to deal with. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sperkins; 07-16-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott,
The newest Hans inovation is the sliding tethers. This is what I have. It allows your head to turn side to side more. The quick disconnect is a nice feature because it makes the Hans easier to get on and off. As of now, the sliding tethers are not available with the quick disconnects, though I am told they will be out soon. I have gotten used to attaching the tethers now after the helmet is on, but it does take a little practice. Great device, glad I got one.
Robert
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Thanks Robert. Another thing I just thought of....Can I modify my current Bell helmet or will I need to buy a new one?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been using a HANS since 05.

I modified my helmet at that time.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sliding Tethers are the way to go. I debated and talked to a few people before I ended up doing the sliding tethers. The shop I bought mine from let me try all the different ones, Sliding tethers, fixed, quick disconnect, Pro and Sport Hans.
The sliding ones let you look ahead and down the corner better. It does take a couple of trys to get used to the connectors for your helmet but it's not that bad.
I believe the Hans will work with any SA2005 or newer helmet. Check their website.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 AM
fmrfast
Racer

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Scott,
The newest Hans inovation is the sliding tethers. This is what I have. It allows your head to turn side to side more. The quick disconnect is a nice feature because it makes the Hans easier to get on and off. As of now, the sliding tethers are not available with the quick disconnects, though I am told they will be out soon. I have gotten used to attaching the tethers now after the helmet is on, but it does take a little practice. Great device, glad I got one.
Robert
I have the same set up and agree with Robert 100%, after only a little practice, connecting & disconnecting will not be a problem.
Money well spent

Frank

Last edited by fmrfast; 07-16-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have been using a HANS since 05.

I modified my helmet at that time.

I feel naked without it now. I don't have the sliding tethers but if I bought it now I probably would. Mark at MSI (a supporting vendor) is an authorized HANS vendor and is very knowledgable about trhese decisions.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

there are many other choices as well.
The R3 device.
the new and improved R3, which I think is now called something else.
plus a few others on the market now.

They just mailed me a postcard with all their new devices.

The HANs is solely dependant on proper harness installation, while these other devices strap to your body.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by sperkins
Thanks Robert. Another thing I just thought of....Can I modify my current Bell helmet or will I need to buy a new one?
I've installed the attachment posts on a couple of Bells (M3's). It's easy to do. Instructions come with the HANS. Use a couple pieces of masking tape on the helmit to mark and drill the holes. A flat wrench to go inbetween the shell and liner comes with the kit.
Takes about 15 minutes.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm thinking about an R3 so I can take it car to car should I ever start instructing.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I'm thinking about an R3 so I can take it car to car should I ever start instructing.
I use a R3 and like it. I feel that it gives me a little more versatility.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I have seen instructors walking around with the R3, and matching back padding.
He says " he never leaves home without it"
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

I'd get the sliding tethers if you can. For anything but the most hardcore applications they should be fine. The stock ones (like I have) are pretty restrictive on lateral head movement and take some getting used to.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
linutux
Pro

The sliding tethers allow me turn enough to see both side mirrors clearly even though I wear glasses.

I leave the HANS attached to the helmet and put them on as a unit.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

I'm looking at their model 20 Sport Series, but I'm not sure which tether style to get.

The choices are:
Fixed
fixed Quick Disconnect
Sliding
All of the sanctioning bodies really should require a head and neck restraint if you have a harness. I'm really surprised NASA doesn't have such a rule. If you don't have a harness, the HANS is useless.

The advantage of the QD is that in an emergency, it's easier to get the helmet off.

The advantage of the slider is that in the paddock and if you go off road, it's easier to see around you. for normal on-track it doesn't make a difference. even 180+ hairpins are no problem with the fixed tether, although it does just take a little getting used to.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

After reading about a fellow NASA member breaking his neck in 2 places in a somewhat minor accident last month at Summit (Story here), I'm buying a HANS.
After reading the story, I'm not sure a HANS would have helped in his case.

1) not clear if he had a harness
2) HANS may not be effective in a lateral impact.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by beerkat
I use a R3 and like it. I feel that it gives me a little more versatility.
Where is the best place to buy one of these?

Get notified of new replies

To That does it...I'm buying a HANS. Quick question.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

The Hans sliding tethers can be attached to the older style device. Buy the sliding tether kit, around $100. Remove the fixed tethers and the sliding ones bolt on to any Hans device.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your helmet is Snell SA2005, you should be fine. I would not bother modifying an SA2000, as it will not be acceptable fairly shortly. I have an SA2005 helmet and the posts were added for my HANS, it works fine. Contrary to what was suggested, IMHO, this is not a job for an inexperienced person. You want to be sure that they are installed the right way and in the right spots on the helmet.

Most places that sell the HANS will install the studs for free or a very minimal charge. If you mail-order it, I'd still got to a local speed shop that is familiar with HANS and have them do it unless you are 100% certain you know what you are doing. Better safe than sorry. In that split second before you hit the wall, you don't want to be thinking "Gee, did I install the HANS studs and straps properly?"

Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
If your helmet is Snell SA2005, you should be fine. I would not bother modifying an SA2000, as it will not be acceptable fairly shortly.

Most places will give you a discount if you purchase the sliding tethers at the time of initial device purchase. At apexperformance.com the sliding tether kit is about $75, but purchased with the actual HANS I think it was only $15 extra. And they installed it.

I see no reason why you wouldn't modify a SA2000 helmet if that's what you have. It really does take 15 minutes. I checked and double checked mine for the reasons fasterisbetter mentioned, and it still only took half an hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That does it...I'm buying a HANS. Quick question.