Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Car (HPDE) Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 AM
E.O.D.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Track Car (HPDE) Question

Wasn't really sure where to post this question, so figured I'd just stick it in here. I realize neither is a Vette, but surely some here can have some experience to share. Thanks much in advance.

Thinking ahead (couple of years or so) and wondering about a track day car (road course). I was wondering which would probably be the cheaper buy in/upkeep.

SN95 (94-98) Mustang Cobra

LT1/LS1 F-body

Both have extensive aftermarkets and oem markets. LT1 and SN95 Cobra should be at least moderately comparable on a road course. V8 and rwd obviously.

Just curious for those that might either have experience with both in those conditions, or know those that do.

Thanks much.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

First off the differances between the LT1 and LS1 are too big to ignore you are much better off with the LS1. Just the fact that you will never have to deal with an Optispark distributor should make you choose an LS1. Also the LS1 has the ability to make over 450 whp with heads, cam and bolt ons, good luck getting that kind of power out of an LT motor. Not that power is the only thing when looking at a track car. There is a road racing page over at ls1tech.com they may be able to give you some better info on the LS1 - F-body.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

My personal preference would be LS1 F body given the choices. If you want wide and varied oppinions from people in your area ask that question here. They are a friendly bunch. Oppinionated, but friendly.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum....027c7366b52f03

Bob
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
E.O.D.
Pro

Originally Posted by Kanmer
My personal preference would be LS1 F body given the choices. If you want wide and varied oppinions from people in your area ask that question here. They are a friendly bunch. Oppinionated, but friendly.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum....027c7366b52f03

Bob
Thanks.

I registered to post on the NASA forums a couple hours before I posted here. I'm still waiting on the confirmation email so I can post the question there.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I ran in SCCA T1 in 1996, the inaugural year ,and at that time the Mustangs ran as stock cars but the Camaros had to run a restrictor plate because they made too much power

There were few Cobra Mustangs built and a zillion Z-28s. I did open road racing in a Mustang and it barely hit 140. I did it in a 97 1LE and it went 172 with no mods and only 300 miles on the odometer. The Camaro is faster, cheaper and easy to get power out of.

Neither of these cars handle worth a damn unless you spend a ton of money on mods. Like $4-5K on suspension parts...

Have you thought about a Miata with a Mustang 302? The ultimate HPDE unit. The engine only adds 40 pounds to the car and those things go like hell and can turn...
http://www.monstermiata.com/default.asp
Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
E.O.D.
Pro

Originally Posted by Tintin
I ran in SCCA T1 in 1996, the inaugural year ,and at that time the Mustangs ran as stock cars but the Camaros had to run a restrictor plate because they made too much power

There were few Cobra Mustangs built and a zillion Z-28s. I did open road racing in a Mustang and it barely hit 140. I did it in a 97 1LE and it went 172 with no mods and only 300 miles on the odometer. The Camaro is faster, cheaper and easy to get power out of.

Neither of these cars handle worth a damn unless you spend a ton of money on mods. Like $4-5K on suspension parts...

Have you thought about a Miata with a Mustang 302? The ultimate HPDE unit. The engine only adds 40 pounds to the car and those things go like hell and can turn...
http://www.monstermiata.com/default.asp
I haven't given the Miata's much thought. I'd be looking more for V8 rwd, and not a hybrid kind of mix (no pinto + mods). Its not something I'd plan to make competitive in a series. My mindset was on something that be fun, yet moderately inexpensive to drive. V8, rwd, and with an aftermarket large enough that replacement pads, rotors, hubs, parts, etc wouldn't cost me out the wazoo. As for body panels, the V6 versions of those listed could be interchanged, cutting cost.

Something fun, yet won't break the bank too badly.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
City Goat
Racer

Build your own track toy!

me and my buddy are building a Lotus 7 for track abuse.... www.project217.com
Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently went through this exact decision process. I started off looking at '96 and up Cobra's after driving a friend's car with the correct modifications to make it a very capable track car. After months of searching and driving multiple Cobras and Vettes, I decided that the C5 was a much better platform than the Cobra will ever be. Everything from the basic suspension geometry to brakes, engine power band, torque, lower center of gravity and on and on.

This past Monday was my first day out with the car at Summit Point. With stock brakes and suspension, the car ran times very close to my friends Cobra with heavily modified suspension, Carbotech brake pads, Hoosier slicks etc. This friend is actually a more capable driver than I am. Conclusion: the C5 is the better car by far. Yes, the car and it's parts are more expensive, but well worth it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hamdog
Conclusion: the C5 is the better car by far. Yes, the car and it's parts are more expensive, but well worth it.

Good luck with your decision.
There is no question that the C5 will run rings around either a Cobra Mustang or a Z28/TransAm . If you have your heart set on the 4 seaters, prepare to spend a lot of money on a car that doesn't handle and never will. They require phenomenal skill and a lot of practice so that you can get around the track. Have you thought about an E36 M3 if you need the back seat? Or a Boxster if you don't? Not as fast as a C5 , but a lot more durable...
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
hamdog
Racer

There is no question that the C5 will run rings around either a Cobra Mustang or a Z28/TransAm . If you have your heart set on the 4 seaters, prepare to spend a lot of money on a car that doesn't handle and never will. They require phenomenal skill and a lot of practice so that you can get around the track. Have you thought about an E36 M3 if you need the back seat? Or a Boxster if you don't? Not as fast as a C5 , but a lot more durable...
I considered both the Boxter and the E36 M3 as well. The problem with the Boxter is simply the cost of repair and parts. Porsche parts are easilty 3-4 times more expensive than the Corvette.
Having owned both an E36 and E46 M3, I would say they are both awesome track cars. Both very well blanced and almost can do no wrong. The problem with the E36 M3 (in the same price range as a 97-99 C5 with comparable year and miles) is that it lacks the hp and the torque of the Vette. E46 M3 would be a closer competitor to the C5 on the track but it's more money.

Last edited by hamdog; 07-23-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
City Goat
Racer

E30 M3?

Porsche 944?

both awesome track cars with a dedicated following and spec series
Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
E.O.D.
Pro

Originally Posted by City Goat
E30 M3?

Porsche 944?

both awesome track cars with a dedicated following and spec series
I've seen both, and looked into both, but honestly I'm ignorant when it comes to knowing much about either.

I've heared the E30's run forever though, even with track abuse. Would you recommend one of those for someone thats known basically nothing but Domestic as far as performance goes?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
E.O.D.
Pro

Not a matter of needing the back seat. More was thinking the initial buy in, upkeep, and replacement of parts would be cheaper without the "Corvette Tax".

But with the cars being heavier I guess I could see where they would gobble through tires, pads, and rotors just as fast if not faster.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Jahan
Pro

I had a 1998 Mustang GT that I built into a HDPE tack car. In order for that car to be any good on track, you need to mod EVERYTHING.

These cars are ergonomic nightmares . . . You'll never find a good seating position, the shifter and pedals aren't set up well for road course duty, the engines are weak, and the brakes are terrible.

At the very LEAST, you'll need a front BBK+ rear pads, a completely redesigned suspension (I had the Steeda 5-Link), aftermarket seats, and possibly cooling upgrades.

The chassis is floppy too . . . you'll need some good stiffening, if not a full cage.

The engines are pretty weak until 1999, they don't respond to modifications that well, and the are BIG and HEAVY.

The old pony cars are no fun on a road course. IMHO you'd be MUCH better off with an E36, miata, or C5.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 AM
kowalski340
Pro

buy an E36 M3
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 PM
hamdog
Racer

E30 M3's are under powered and mechanically junk. The s14 engine cost about 6-8k to rebuild. I wanted one of those so badly but if you are worried about reliability ane maitenance cost in general, forget the
E30's. E36 on the other hand is a bullet proof car in every way. Still 110 hp dissadvantage to the C5.
Stick with the C5. It's a blast on the track and the overall maintenance cost is low compared to German cars.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

C4 are fun too.

Get notified of new replies

To First Track Car (HPDE) Question

Quick Reply: First Track Car (HPDE) Question