Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help : with extenal oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM
devil z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help : with extenal oil cooler

i have a 2006 zo6 procharged looking to install a external oil cooler anywhere but in front of radiator I was just at pocono raceway and both oil and water temps got to high had to end sessions early
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm assuming you're running an intercooler in front of the rad, based on you not wanting to put something in front.

If that's the case, then I'd call one of the forum vendors that deal with racing radiators (DRM, DeWitts, etc.) and see if they have a integrated racing radiator and EOC.

You didn't say how much hp you were generating, but I imagine a supercharged LS7 is going to be way up there. Hard to keep cool on track, especially in the summer.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what fluids were you running and what kind of temps were you seeing?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 AM
devil z
Instructor

i do have a lg super cool rad with built in oil cooler was running mostly water with water wetter got my oil up to 300 and had to do cool down lap and even got my water up to 250 i am thinking about taking out ac to help with air flow for radiator right now i am running only 8 pounds of boost with around 700 rwhp depending on air temp
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what weight oil were you running and what kind of top speeds were you seeing on the straights?

if you read thread I posted a link to in your other thread you can see I'm running 15w-50 with about 14psi on pump gas. My straight line speeds weren't that high but I only was 280* most of the time with 295 being the max. I have all stock cooling components.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

700 rwhp is just a ton of heat to manage on a road course. Seems like you've done just about everything reasonable from a radiator cooling standpoint, so now you need to get better airflow to that radiator.

Eliminating the AC condensor is one thing, but what about the heat exchanger for the intercooler? I assume that's in front of the radiator, and that's going to put a lot more btu's into the radiator cooling fins than the AC condensor.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM
devil z
Instructor

i was running 20w 50 and my speeds on front straight where 150 and back straight 160 and i was letting up early
Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you need to put vents in the hood !!!!!! a lot of guys just cut Christmas tree slots over the whole hood. after that your pretty much done.

I beat all the super charged and turbo charged cars on the track after ten laps...they ALL overheat
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Mr. Guns has a really good point. You could contact LG Motorsports (I think they've got a vented hood) that might help you extract as much heat as possible from under the hood. Probably gives you a bit more front end downforce, but doubt that's a player.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
devil z
Instructor

i have a world challange hood and for the first ten laps i would have lap you twice and only need one cool down lap so i am still one lap ahead thanks for your help Devil z
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by devil z
i have a world challange hood and for the first ten laps i would have lap you twice and only need one cool down lap so i am still one lap ahead thanks for your help Devil z
been many moons since i have been lapped by anyone!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
TTPMatt
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by devil z
i have a 2006 zo6 procharged looking to install a external oil cooler anywhere but in front of radiator I was just at pocono raceway and both oil and water temps got to high had to end sessions early
Hey devil,

Nice meeting you @ Poconos and very nice looking car.. We have external oil coolers in both c5 and c6s.. We fabricate mounting brackets for the oil cooler/fan combination to sit in the driver side fender well. We have dropped 30+ degrees with just adding the in-line solution.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the car with our mount attached, just the generalized area:

We then vent the back of the fenderwell extension to allow the air to flow through the cooler. Solid aluminum mounts for the oil cooler so at 160+ it is held on tight. We had the same type setup on the blue c5z you saw. We actually just made a new intercooler support for the blue c5z to allow a lot more airflow to the radiator since our coolant temps were up. Our oil temps saw no more than 230 with our oil cooler setup on the c5z. We run 10.5 qts through an accusump 50wt race oil, remote mount oil filter, in-line oil cooler.. It's just a big mess of -10 lines

- Matt

Last edited by TTPMatt; 07-24-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

get one of these big ***** !!!!!! ice cold engine!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fluid...2em118Q2el1247
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
devil z
Instructor

Matt at TTP will be installing 2 oil coolers one on each side and also will be doing a more agressive wheel aligment these guys are great they also give track side assitance

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help : with extenal oil cooler

Quick Reply: Need Help : with extenal oil cooler