Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice Re:Camcorders for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Radguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Advice Re:Camcorders for HPDE

I will be installing a harness bar/seats/harness setup in the next few weeks, and I'm looking for a camcorder for some on track video.

I did a search and it's been about 4 months since this subject has been discussed. Previously, some people recommended the mini-DV type, but apparently this is becoming outdated technology (sorry, I don't know a lot on this subject). My wife and I both track the same car. Ideally, it would be nice to have some sort of removable media, so we could have one for each of us (just insert the appropriate one before one of us goes out on the track).

I'd like to know what units people have recently purchased and how has their experience with them been? In short, if you were buying one today, what would it be (model and type of recorder)?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm also looking at a small camera to replace my Sony Hi-8 camera. The camera works fine but the plastic base is cracked and it won't mount properly anymore on my harness bar.

I remember those discussions and the consensus was that the Mini-DV worked the best. The HD and DVD cameras are touchy when it comes to vibration or bouncing around. Guess they will shut themselves off to prevent damage.

If the intended use is only for track days, then if Mini-DV are still around, they might be the best choice especially if the price is good.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mini DV shuts off in my car on the second shift and it has crappy recording time also. So I am back to the Hi8 mini tape with 7 years of events.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Radguy
Racer

I just wondered if the HD cameras had improved in the last few months to the point where don't shut themselves off any more. Otherwise you may be right.

Seems that this technology changes almost weekly.

That's why I asked in my original post what people have purchased recently.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I've recorded every race I've done this year with a $200 Sony Elura 80 Mini-DV camera and never had a single glitch. Image quality is good, and we typically go through 4 60-minute tapes in a weekend. The other guys I race with typically use Mini-DV or one of the more expensive race-cam setups.

It's a little slow to download, but for cost, reliability, image quality, and ease-of-use, I think Mini-DV is hard to beat. Click here to see some of the videos I've posted, or go to my website below.

One critical thing - make sure you get a DIGITAL image stabilizer. I started the year with my high-end Sony HD Cam that has a (better quality) optical image stabilizer, and there was just no way the thing could shoot video in the car - too much vibration.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Radguy
I just wondered if the HD cameras had improved in the last few months to the point where don't shut themselves off any more. Otherwise you may be right.

Seems that this technology changes almost weekly.

That's why I asked in my original post what people have purchased recently.
John apparently has a miniDV camera that has a problem. Most people who use miniDV do not have those issues. Tapes have long long been a proven reliable format with anywhere from 1 to 2 hours of record time and cheap enough for archival purposes. It's the DVD and hard drive units that have the issues from vibration and g-forces. I agree that any of the tape formats are soon coming to the end of their life, being replaced by the flash memory models. The problem with those at this point is the very expensive memory cards and relatively short recording time. Those prices are coming down every day and will eventually be the standard, but right now, DV tapes are hard to beat for quality and reliability vs. price. So it's up to you if you are willing to spend the money for the flash memory units but keep in mind that there are many of those that use very poor compression codecs for compromised quality, even though they might say "HD" on them.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I use a few years old Finepix F10.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finep.../dp/B0007GIXQU

I have a two gig card in it that takes 30 mins of video on the high quality setting. It has a USB cord to dump that data into a notebook PC that I bring to the track or into any other storage device. It takes like 5,000 pictures too.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Radguy
Racer

Originally Posted by robvuk
John apparently has a miniDV camera that has a problem. Most people who use miniDV do not have those issues. Tapes have long long been a proven reliable format with anywhere from 1 to 2 hours of record time and cheap enough for archival purposes. It's the DVD and hard drive units that have the issues from vibration and g-forces. I agree that any of the tape formats are soon coming to the end of their life, being replaced by the flash memory models. The problem with those at this point is the very expensive memory cards and relatively short recording time. Those prices are coming down every day and will eventually be the standard, but right now, DV tapes are hard to beat for quality and reliability vs. price. So it's up to you if you are willing to spend the money for the flash memory units but keep in mind that there are many of those that use very poor compression codecs for compromised quality, even though they might say "HD" on them.
Thanks for the reply, Rob. Two questions though.

If, (I mean BIG IF), I decide to go with a flash memory unit, what would I look for to avoid any units with poor compression codes, and what size of a memory would I need for reasonable recording time?

Basically, I'm looking for a recorder that will give me trouble free, good quality, vibrationless video, and reasonable audio quality.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The biggest memory you can get. the 2 gig tends to be 30 mins of time.

Remember to put focus on INFINITY, and use a semi wide angle view
Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Radguy
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The biggest memory you can get. the 2 gig tends to be 30 mins of time.

Remember to put focus on INFINITY, and use a semi wide angle view
Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

BTW, I have to say it--You, Roc, and all the other organizers did a FANTASTIC job at VIR!! Lynne and I had an absolute blast!! Looking forward to next year already!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Sony camcorder that records to SD memory card or tape.
I used a 1GB card and recorded about an hour of open road racing.
I've recorded 3 ~25minute track sessions on one card too.

Cards are pretty cheap so I can swap them out and download to my computer later.

The only problem I've had with the camera is that I noticed the picture stabilization makes it look like I'm driving a boat. The picture moves up and down just a little like you are going over small waves. I need to turn the stabilization off next time.

I haven't had any problems with it turning off. Maybe I'm not driving hard enough
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently struggled with this trying to get the best set up... I attached a mount to my roll bar which is solid but I still get a bit of vibration at certain rpms that transfer to the camera no matter what... image stabilization helps this a lot and the end result doesnt have much shake to it at all.

I initially attached my canon mini DV (using tapes) and the quality was pretty good. The problem for me was that I cant transfer from tape to computer. So then I attached my Sony DCR-SR46 handycam to it and tried running a few laps... this cam is a hybrid model that has both a Hard Drive (HD) memory as well as a memory stick (pro duo).

I have a 2gb and 4gb memory stick that holds a ton of video. like an idiot I tried using the Hard drive memory since theres 40gb built in but the vibration kept shutting it off. Now I run it with the memory stick and its clear... doesnt shut off and can transfer to my computer easily.

You and your wife can each have your own memory stick and when youre all done, use the Hard drive for family stuff like I do.

Last edited by GettReal; 07-24-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I like MiniDV for best quality, but anything with moving parts is going out of fashion quick.

I have a Sanyo Xacti CG6, with flash memory, and it is lightweight enough that I can literally bolt it to a hole in the trim and take video. I need to work on getting the White Balance in order, but it is rock solid and easy to do in a C6 especially. 1 bolt, some bungies, and a washer.

records in mp4, so you need to be able to convert it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4wVxJBnhws
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

chasecam
Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You need. . .

Mini DV
Digital Stabilization
Microphone Input

and that doesn't leave you with many choices.

Panasonic PV-GS180 (Tough to find) $500 list price

Sony DCR-HC62 (Readily Available) $300 list price
Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canon HF-10 or HF-100. Seem to be cheapest on amazon.com They are solid state cameras (use flash cards) so shouldn't have much of an issue with vibration. The image quality is insande. Full HD, 1920x1080 resolution. Best thing is the camera is tiny. Fits completely inside the palm of my hand!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Last C5
You need. . .
Mini DV
Digital Stabilization
Microphone Input
Based on my recent experience with this, I'd say including image stabilization is a bad idea. IS technologies typically don't work well with tripods or other mounts. And they say that, too.

I did a track event with my new Canon this week, and I had the IS turned on. The image vibrates horribly; almost enough to make you sick. Previous recordings with an older Sony Hi-8 camera (same mount, same everything) have produced rock solid vids.

So, if you get a camera with IS, consider turning it off.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice Re:Camcorders for HPDE

Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Based on my recent experience with this, I'd say including image stabilization is a bad idea. IS technologies typically don't work well with tripods or other mounts. And they say that, too.

I did a track event with my new Canon this week, and I had the IS turned on. The image vibrates horribly; almost enough to make you sick. Previous recordings with an older Sony Hi-8 camera (same mount, same everything) have produced rock solid vids.

jas
Good to know...will try that..
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I used a mini DVD for a few months with very good results, but the hassle of trying to convert the data into a format to post to the internet has been a nightmare.

The other problem is that typically a run session last 20 minutes. One mini DVD only holds 30 minutes of video. You can use up the last 10 minutes of the video, but you're not recording the last 10 minutes of your session. Also, my camera (Sony) would pick up the rattle of the disc flopping around inside the camera. The wind noise was bad enough, but the flopping around noise was just too much.

I bought another camera last week (Sony Handycam HD) and it works great. It records to a hard drive and holds over 10 hours of continuous video. The battery is usually good for about 2 hours though.

Here is some footage from both cameras. The quality is very good for both, but YouTube quality always sucks.

Mini DVD:

Hard Drive:

My 30 gig hard drive Sony:
Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

jas
I think your Canon has a problem. My track partner and I always run our cameras with the stabilization on (Panasonic and Sony) and I've got 45 tapes setting here and not one of them shows any vibration. If your Canon is new, it probably has Optical Stabilization which won't work. Our cameras have Electronic Stabilization (which is quickly falling out of favor) which works fine.

Quick Reply: Need Advice Re:Camcorders for HPDE