Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Trailer with RV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing Trailer with RV?

Anyone here towed their car in an enclosed trailer with an RV. Was thinking about buying an RV to take to different tracks, but now idea how easy it will be to tow a car behind it. Also wondering what the performance is like, and if they can handle a 24' enclosed trailer..
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow an 18' open trailer with my 29' class C RV. The RV is on a Ford E450 chassis with the V-10 gas engine. Everything works great. I've made several long trips with the combination. Trailer brakes are a must but a weight distributing hitch is optional.

Get use to $120 gas fill ups!!!!

I've seen several folks with class A RV's towing 29' enclosed trailers. I'm not sure what the max towing capacity is one my RV. I suspect it aligns with the E450 which should be 10K/5K.

John
Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnD60
I tow an 18' open trailer with my 29' class C RV. The RV is on a Ford E450 chassis with the V-10 gas engine. Everything works great. I've made several long trips with the combination. Trailer brakes are a must but a weight distributing hitch is optional.

Get use to $120 gas fill ups!!!!

I've seen several folks with class A RV's towing 29' enclosed trailers. I'm not sure what the max towing capacity is one my RV. I suspect it aligns with the E450 which should be 10K/5K.

John
Ya I am looking at a class A RV, diesel. Gas mileage looks like it should be about the same as my F350. The nice thing about my F350 is no matter how much weight I toe, the gas mileage doesn't change. However the fact that diesel is outrageously expensive right now sucks. Is having an RV at the track as nice as it seems?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:16 PM
punkindrublic
Intermediate

Default Rv

I pull a 24' enclosed with a 42' DP. With or without the trailer I get 6.3 mpg. Gotta love those $500.00 fill ups !!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by punkindrublic
I pull a 24' enclosed with a 42' DP. With or without the trailer I get 6.3 mpg. Gotta love those $500.00 fill ups !!
Is that diesel or gas?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Is having an RV at the track as nice as it seems?
YES!!! We pull an open trailer with ours. It is great having a place right there with A/C and beds. I love staying at the track and this just makes it all that much better. I would say if it is financially feasible, then do it.

Us at VIR with the NCM. Boxy one in front

On the way home from Barber

At Limerock for the ALMS race

HTH
Bob
Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 AM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default Look at Renagde or Haulmark RV

I bought a 44' Haulmark sitting on a Frieghtliner truck chassy. I get 9 miles to gallon with diesel and can tow up to 40,000 lbs.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Snuckley
Racer

it really depends how large the the RV . Even the big block gas rigs have rears geared for pulling, ie. 5.65. You'll need trailer brakes with these units. The large 40ft diesel rigs with Jake brakes and 1200ft/lb TQ will handle a single car trailer easy.. My 45ft bus-conversion with air brakes and tranny retarder pulls my single trailer like it isn't there. The comfort of an RV or toter-home at the track is unmatched- well unless you own a trackside condo at Autobahn or Thunderbolt. Between driving sessions you can cool off, shower at the end of the day, give your family /friends a couch to rest on, get a homemade meal, avoid a smelly budget lodge, bring your dog, plug your trailer into the big generator onboard etc.. all Rv's must be at bargain prices now. I purchased mine used several years ago with 32,000 miles for 1/3rd it purchase price in like new condition. I use it mainly for personal and corporate entertaining , living 100-150 miles from NYC,Phila Pa and Atlantic City I do dinner trips ,concerts, and sporting events. Professional drivers are easy to come by, if you enjoy sleeping on the way home. The only downside of the Rv is it's another vehicle to maintain vs a trailer. My new lawnmower purchase last month took me back up to 21 engines I maintain. Like most equiptment a RV will be easier to maintain if stored indoors. Oh , if stored on your property they become an instant in-law suite. In summary, I plan on keeping my RV a long time. The uses are endless. You can volunteer to transport sick people to distant hospitals who can't tolerate sitting upright in a plane. Check out Woodall's Rv forum for the same type of help you get here...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I too have been think about an RV to tow with. You need to look at the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. It some times is a better indicator on what you can tow than towing weight is.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Is that diesel or gas?
I think the DP stands for diesel pusher... big diesel motor in the back of the RV.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastZR1
I think the DP stands for diesel pusher... big diesel motor in the back of the RV.
Ah ya your right, just would have though the gas mileage was better.

Right now you can get RVs for about 40% off brand new. Defintely seems like the best time to buy one. Just trying to decide if I will get the use out of it that will make it worth while to own one.

How about other places besides track events? There lots of nice places to take vacations with it?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been towing a 24 enclosed with a Ford 460 Class A for years. I love having the motorhome at the track, nothing better. Trailer doesn't have an affect on gas mileage, which is terrible (5.5 mpg). I would look for a diesel pusher, gas mileage is way better (8 to 9 mpg). Diesel will pull and stop the trailer much better. This is what I will be doing soon.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
I have been towing a 24 enclosed with a Ford 460 Class A for years. I love having the motorhome at the track, nothing better. Trailer doesn't have an affect on gas mileage, which is terrible (5.5 mpg). I would look for a diesel pusher, gas mileage is way better (8 to 9 mpg). Diesel will pull and stop the trailer much better. This is what I will be doing soon.
I was looking at the berkshire 39' bunkhouse RVs. Can't find the mpg specs on it anywhere. Should be able to tow 10,000lbs. May have to go to the dealer and check it out today.. Found one dealer selling one for $120k brand new, for a 2009.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM
MJM
Drifting

The salesmen will always tell you it can tow anything you want. Modern RVs have so much granite, stainless steel, slideouts, etc added to their old chassis that most of them are actually near their gross weight limit.

You need to look at the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. It some times is a better indicator on what you can tow than towing weight is.
You need at least 10,000 lbs of weight left under the limit if you want to tow a 10,000 lb trailer. Don't forget a full tank of fuel, yourself and all your stuff in the RV will have to be added to the empty weight as well.

That's why you see so many RVs in the slow lane doing 20 mph up hills.

If you really want to be able to tow, get something designed to haul 80,000 lbs over the road. You can buy it used, have the conversion made, and save a bunch of money.

Trailer is 24' enclosed haulmark (10,000lbs max). Truck is a Freightliner 100 with Detroit Diesel and 10 speed transmission. It handles the trailer with my C5, spare wheels and tires, motorcycle and all my tools very nicely. Pulls 70 mph going up the hills leading out of SoCal (north towards Willow Springs or Thunderhill and East towards well...the rest of the country) and has enough brakes to stop coming down the otherside.

Matt

Last edited by MJM; 08-14-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a 32 Holiday Rambler gas. I just tow mine with a 2 wheel tow dolly. I have special step-up ramps to get the front end of the Vette up on the dolly. No trailer brakes are needed with this. Been doing it for 4 years with out any problems.

Reb
Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I tow a 24' enclosed all the time with a '34 diesel pusher. I get 7.5 mpg towing or not, going 60 or 75 mph doesnt matter.. It tows great, better than my truck, you dont even know its there. The only issue is getting passed by 18 wheelers, it can be a white knuckle expieriance..
That's when I learned to just drive faster than them.. MPG doesn't suffer and its more stable towing at speed and passing 18 wheelers has much less effect than getting passed..
And with good trailer brakes it even stops better towing.

Get notified of new replies

To Towing Trailer with RV?

Quick Reply: Towing Trailer with RV?