Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America Setup Help ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road America Setup Help ...

Driving (6th HPDE) the Road America on 9/6-7 with my 06 C6 A6 and R6 slicks on OEM wheels.

What Camber (F & R) with Hardbar camber kit should I use? Any Toe?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:43 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You should always use a little bit of toe F and R to keep the car stable and to help on turns.

RA is all about speed, so I'd recommend just a little bit of toe out up front and the same amount in back. ...maybe about 1/8th total toe.

RA is primarily a turn right track so I'd say about -3 on the LF; -2.5 on RF; and about half those numbers on the back (depending on how good your bushings are).

Uh, take lots and lots of brakes!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I aggree with Chris on setup. Road America will eat up your brakes. I carry Cobalt Friction pads, in stock for your car. Unbelievable stopping power and will outlast any other race pad out there. Call me if you are interested, 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
Old 08-21-2008, 06:14 PM
kermooni
Racer

Originally Posted by wtknght1
You should always use a little bit of toe F and R to keep the car stable and to help on turns.

RA is all about speed, so I'd recommend just a little bit of toe out up front and the same amount in back. ...maybe about 1/8th total toe.

RA is primarily a turn right track so I'd say about -3 on the LF; -2.5 on RF; and about half those numbers on the back (depending on how good your bushings are).

Uh, take lots and lots of brakes!!!!!!
Thanks. I am using DBA 4000 rotors with XP10 F & XP8 R (extra set ordered). It is difficult to get much more than -1.25 on the rear of a C6 even with Gary's kit. Rear bushing are stock. Should I replace them with new ones? A different brand?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have to slide the crandle over to get the right amount of camber on the one side.

Randy
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
You may have to slide the crandle over to get the right amount of camber on the one side.

Randy

I set-up a few cars for RA (since it's 15 miles away) and one thing that I do different than any other track is set the rear toe to 0, the only reason is because between the kink and turn 12 the track is a little curvy and your blasting through there at 110 - 140 mph and if you toe in the rear the car will be a little "darty" through there, it kind of depends on the driver some people don't mind it others want the car to feel planted underneath them.
Just a little tip.
Otherwise do everything everyone above said, epecially about the brakes.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

Make sure you check the fluid in your clutch reservoir too, swap it out if its dirty. RA can be hard on clutches as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kermooni
Thanks. I am using DBA 4000 rotors with XP10 F & XP8 R (extra set ordered). It is difficult to get much more than -1.25 on the rear of a C6 even with Gary's kit. Rear bushing are stock. Should I replace them with new ones? A different brand?
It just depends on how much you track the car...and how fast you want to go. Polyurethane bushing (thru Vette Brakes and Products or wherever) is a better solution than stock, but you'll increase ride harshness on the street (if you care about that). With those bushings, you can run less negative camber, so the tire is straighter up.

I would look at upgrading your brakes to the XP12s Front and 10s Rear for Road America. You'll need it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

I set-up a few cars for RA (since it's 15 miles away) and one thing that I do different than any other track is set the rear toe to 0, the only reason is because between the kink and turn 12 the track is a little curvy and your blasting through there at 110 - 140 mph and if you toe in the rear the car will be a little "darty" through there, it kind of depends on the driver some people don't mind it others want the car to feel planted underneath them.
Just a little tip.
Otherwise do everything everyone above said, epecially about the brakes.
A little curvy with walls on both sides.

Get notified of new replies

To Road America Setup Help ...

Quick Reply: Road America Setup Help ...