Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a ramp for a ramp for C6 to go on a trailer???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 AM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a ramp for a ramp for C6 to go on a trailer???

Tried and tried and tried and tried, but the C6 would not clear any of the four trailers I could possibly rent. So the answer apparently is a ramp for the ramp I guess I should have known ... Some of you warned me on earlier posts. At lease I listened and tried to see if it fits two weeks BEFORE the event.

So how would I build a ramp? Three staggered 2x12s? Seems to be the answer. How long should the long, medium, and short one be? Should I bevel (45 degree) the ends to take it easy on the tires?

One last question , do you load your car on the trailer with the slicks or do you keep the streets on and switch tires at the track?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Once in a while when the ground is not level, I just put a 4 foot section of a 2"x 12" x 4' board on the ramps I already have. Just to extend the ramp about 2 feet then eveything clears by about 1/4"
The following users liked this post:
killain (11-09-2020)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.raceramps.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=73

thats the spendy route but they work slick and are alot lighter if you plan to trailer alot then they would be a nice investment i use them to get my car up on working ramps or lifts also.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kermooni
One last question , do you load your car on the trailer with the slicks or do you keep the streets on and switch tires at the track?
Thanks.
Prep your car at home,tires and anything else that you would normally do.
Just makes being at the track more fun if you do not have to change tires or brake pads and such.
srshaw3 (11-26-2020)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made some ramps out of 2x6s about 6 feet long. My front spoiler used to get crunched trying to load just using the trailer ramp. Not anymore.

I cut the 2x6 diagonally to make the sides. I put 2x4 in between about every foot to give support - make sure they are flush with top and bottom of sides. Then put 3/4" plywood on top.

I stacked 2 - 2x4 (to be ~4" tall) and attached to the front of the ramp so the trailer ramp will sit on top. The trailer ramp is flush with the top of the wood ramp. I also cut the 2x4s to lenght so all I have to do is line the end with the edge of the trailer ramp and that puts the ramps in perfect alignment for driving on and especially off the trailer.

Having the trailer ramp sitting on top of the 2x4 "lifts" and the "lifts" attached to the wood ramps also keeps the wood ramps from moving. The weight of the trailer ramp keeps them in place.

They are sturdy and fairly light. I attached a couple of metal handles on each ramp to make moving them easier. I lay mine crossways in the back (enclosed trailer).

2 - 2x6 6 feet long
1 - 2x4 (maybe 2 depending on length)
1 - sheet plywood
4 - metal handles
1 - box deck screws
killain (11-09-2020)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Once in a while when the ground is not level, I just put a 4 foot section of a 2"x 12" x 4' board on the ramps I already have. Just to extend the ramp about 2 feet then eveything clears by about 1/4"
If you add the 5 ft. ramps from a scale platform to your setup, you could get a winged car in there.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

I had the same problem. My fix was to use ramps (heavy duty 12K lbs Blitz Rhino Ramps) on the back of the tow vehicle. It lifts the back of the truck up enough to raise the front of the trailer. I was able to use the ramps that came with the trailer to get my slightly lower C6Z on and off without scrapping.

Load the car fully prepped. Cross tie the straps and leave the car in neutral with the parking brake on. Make sure the door doesn’t hit the fender wells of the trailer… had that problem as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
kermooni
Racer

Thanks everyone - especially SS Racing with your detailed description and material list.

Critical ... where do you attach the straps to the car (C6)? Also, would you use the chains (and rachet) that comes attched to the rental trailer or would you put in your own straps?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

best site to buy correct length straps (is it 12' for an 18' trailer w/ d rings?) with snap hooks on both ends? what is the correct spec/size for the T hooks?

Timely thread kermooni! I just picked up my 18' Aluma trailer today and need straps/hooks. I plan to have car ready to drive off the trailer and run on the track.

despite jacking the trailer up in front a little to decrease the approach angle I could not get the car on with the 6' ramps (trailer is only 14" off the ground). I plan to build a triple step with 1 x 6" or 1x 8" board, leaving 2 feet of increasing height for the nose to clear. hoping that's enough. any who know better chime please.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Raise the front of the trailer. Makes less of an angle between the ramp to trailer interface.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
Raise the front of the trailer. Makes less of an angle between the ramp to trailer interface.
Tried that still can't raise it enough to avoid hitting front of vette on ramps
Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 AM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are called step-up ramps. A lot of RV stores have them. They are only about 18 inches long and are real steep. They get the nose of the Vette up quick and then they flatten out. I use them to get mine on a two wheel tow dolly. I have built a set out of 2x6's before I got them and can post a picture if you need. Just check for some Step-UP ramps.

Reb
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

This is what I did to get on my open trailer:

Bill
Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What part of the car hits? The little black plastic bits? The radiator supports? Something painted?
Old 11-09-2020, 07:08 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well I too decided at the last moment to skip the U-haul trailers. The chase ain't worth the run. First like Mcandrew67 I took a tape measure and went to look at the U-haul trailer, and first off is the fenders of the trailer, you can't get the Corvette on the trailer, but you won't be able to get out of it, so that is right off the bat and what is most workable is a 8'.5" wide trailer, but it has to be a high riding trailer so the entire corvette is up on the deck of the trailer and no obstruction to opening the doors. So I decided to just rent a second car to get back home, and rent one to go pick it back up and drive home. But I made two 2 X 8' pieces of 2'X8" planks cut in half at a 45 degree, and flip them around and screw on a single 2"x 4" short piece attached with 4, 3" deck screws and that makes you a nice slight angle ramp to get the front end up so you can lift front of it with my 3 on Low Profile jack under the jack pucks. It may sound stupid, but the air dam has been so low since the C4's came out, and onward in all generations, even the C8 Corvettes. But if you love the Corvetter, you find ways to deal with your car.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:03 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I build some ramp extenders out of 2x6 but if I had to do it again I'd just get the Race Ramp trailer ramps. Even with the ramps you will probably want to consider raising the front of the trailer with the jack or with ramps under the tow vehicle rear wheels.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:06 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

You can always raise the back of the tow vehicle up too.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Lay a board down on the drivers side of the trailer before you put the car on it. It raises the drivers side of the car up so the door clears the fender of the trailer if it's not removable. Use 2 piece Race Ramps to get the car on the trailer. I think I have had mine for 10 years and never had an issue getting a car on a trailer with them.

Damn this is an old thread resurrected.

Get notified of new replies

To Building a ramp for a ramp for C6 to go on a trailer???

Quick Reply: Building a ramp for a ramp for C6 to go on a trailer???