Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with nitto r2 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default problem with nitto r2 tires?

recently Ive been on track and my car(C5) starts vibrating at 150+..could that be just a wheel balancing problem? car is fine any speed below that. I thought that it might actually be the tires since my other street tires didnt do any such thing at those speeds. this happens very briefly at the end of each straight.. it is annoying and vibrates my rear view mirror has anyone had this problem with these tires? maybe because they are more rigid? I hope it is just a wheel balancing thing.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

I marked my Nittos once they were mounted and balanced and over the life of them they would slip on the rims from time to time. I know there is never anything i could do to street tires where the same could happen.
I would start there, but unless you want to have them balanced after each track day...I just lived with it once they were on.

Last edited by DRKCYDE; 08-22-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRKCYDE
I marked my Nittos once they were mounted and balanced and over the life of them they would slip on the rims from time to time. I know there is never anything i could do to street tires where the same could happen.
I would start there, but unless you want to have them balanced after each track day...I just lived with it once they were on.
Wow I dont think mine are slipping like you mentioned. It really feels like a wheel balancing thing.. or maybe they ARE slipping, I have 275/40 17's mounted on 17x8.5's in the front and Now that that u mention it the vibrating is mainly coming from the front. from a visual check they look normal, and they hold air well. I like these tires but I dont want my car vibrating at those speeds, I know the car is smooth up to 174(fast as I have gotten it) so anything around 150 should be a piece of cake thanks for your reply
Old 08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

This was after the first track day with them. I stopped paying attention to them after that. I also had one mounted on a Thursday, and then ran the next day and that moved quite a bit, maybe 6 inches on the rim.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

why would a tire slip so much on a rim?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Happened to a car in our paddock this month at Road Atlanta. It was a detuned twin turbo Porsche (detuned to 700hp) normally 900. With monster brakes. If I didn't see it myself I would have said BS! But he had all 4 marked tire to valve stem. After our first run all 4 moved several inches. A lot of torque and brake power I guess stuff moves. He even had an adhesive on the bead! I would believe it could happen with our cars too! I just never looked.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I never had a problem with my Nitto's over 150. You're problem sounds like a balancing issue or an internal problem with the tire itself. On another note, it's not a good idea to mount a set of tires and immediately run them extremely hard as the lubricant used on the bead during the mounting process needs a little time to dry up.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

thanks for the replies...as it turns out one front rim is ever so slightly bent and I acrually forgot about it(happened years ago) . Ive been living with it for years and because of the great balance this car has and the wheel balancing it never vibrated even over 160... But I guess when the rims/tires were out of balance it was noticable I just got a balance, so Ill see if that cures it for now until I can get another rim

Get notified of new replies

To problem with nitto r2 tires?

Quick Reply: problem with nitto r2 tires?