Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill silky smooth

Old 08-23-2008, 11:29 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thunderhill silky smooth

But a bit greasy, or so say the NASA types, since they re-paved it last month. I was there yesterday doing an HPDE with HOD. Hard for me to judge since I was on R-compounds for the first time (Toyo R888). But boy is that surface smooth. Of course, I thought it was smooth before, but apparently it was getting so thin after 15 years of grinding that there was nothing left to shave. They have a couple of ripples, which I never found, that they plan to grind and there are some sharp edges on a few concrete burms at the apex that need grinding (mistakes due to the concrete machine that they failed to catch until they were half-way through the track), but overall this is a beautiful surface to this noob's eyes. Probably take a couple of months to lay down enough rubber and they expect a full year for the surface to fully cure.

FM
Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds great, I'll be there in October. Where's the video????
Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Fred you lucky man got to get back on the track before me . How did you like the tires? Any problems with the rear end sliding this time?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Last C5
Sounds great, I'll be there in October. Where's the video????
redtopz wasn't there to take any embarrassing video of me!

You going to the Hooked on Corvettes?

Originally Posted by redtopz
Fred you lucky man got to get back on the track before me . How did you like the tires? Any problems with the rear end sliding this time?
Ya . . . my monthly pilgrimage. Bunch 'O cool guys with C5's there to keep my education going. Lots of NASA types there as well. Had their own run group and about 5 of them spilled over into the C group. Still only about 15 of us in C total. Only a couple of NASA porsche's were competitive against the vette squad, so the track mostly belonged to us. One of the Porsche's in the NASA group hit the wall at 15. Messed it up pretty good. I've seen WAY too many cars get collected there.

Big difference with the R888s. I may have something for that beast of yours next month (assuming work doesn't intervene).

I'm getting way hot now though. I saw 300+ every run. Car has always been hot, but this is outta control. May be putting that oil cooler on sooner than expected.

Dropped about 10 seconds off each lap. Now red-lining 3rd on both straights and between 9 and 10. Also picked up about 5MPH on the front straight. I never have the presence of mind to look at the G-meter, so I have no idea how I may have improved in the twisties, but I clearly did. Only a couple of cars (besides the NASA P-cars) could pull me in the twisties. Both vettes, so there is that consolation. In one case it was WAY more car and in the other it was clearly more car and more driver (very young "kid" . . . I hate him! ). Not sure I improved, but the car sure did. By the end of the day I was experimenting with the limits of the tires. Too bad I can't properly care for them. Someday. 11-13 remains my nemesis. My footwork just stinks.

So, it was a much funner day chasing folks down as opposed to trying to stay outta the way.

FM
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

"You going to the Hooked on Corvettes?"

No, I'm going down for the two day event (Oct 18&19) put on by the Northern California Shelby Club. Yes, they let us brand Xs run too.

My Nitto RIIs are about gone and I was thinking about those 888s, sounds like you were pretty happy with them. I got about nine or ten days out of the Nittos, do you think the 888s will do any better?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by FredSM
But a bit greasy, or so say the NASA types, since they re-paved it last month.
FM
It was the same way the last time they repaved. And, yea it took about a year to get really nice.
The ripples probably aren't too bad. When T-Hill first opened, it was fairly bumpy. Track management has done a great job addressing this over the years.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Last C5
"You going to the Hooked on Corvettes?"

No, I'm going down for the two day event (Oct 18&19) put on by the Northern California Shelby Club. Yes, they let us brand Xs run too.

My Nitto RIIs are about gone and I was thinking about those 888s, sounds like you were pretty happy with them. I got about nine or ten days out of the Nittos, do you think the 888s will do any better?
From what I hear, that sounds about right. I'm such a noob I doubt I could give you a fair estimate. Plus, mine weren't "properly" heat cycled, so I haven't a clue how that will effect them over time. They definitely got some heat and a good scrub Friday! My goal is to get a small trailer to haul a second set of track-only tires/rims. The R888s seem to be a great tire, but they're certainly pricey in stock sizes. But Toyo is doing us a great service to even offer them in OEM sizes. Saw a lot of RA1s at the track Friday. I understand the R888 is the replacement.

FM
Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Big difference with the R888s. I may have something for that beast of yours next month (assuming work doesn't intervene).

I'm getting way hot now though. I saw 300+ every run. Car has always been hot, but this is outta control. May be putting that oil cooler on sooner than expected.

Dropped about 10 seconds off each lap. Now red-lining 3rd on both straights and between 9 and 10.
So, it was a much funner day chasing folks down as opposed to trying to stay outta the way.

FM
Wow 10 seconds is amazing . What gears do you have in that C6? Is it a z51? I'm usually in 4th on the straights is why I ask and I think the z51 C6's have the same gears as the c5zo6. Actually I guess if you don't have an oil cooler its not a z51.

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
It was the same way the last time they repaved. And, yea it took about a year to get really nice.
The ripples probably aren't too bad. When T-Hill first opened, it was fairly bumpy. Track management has done a great job addressing this over the years.
How you doing Bill? I hope to get back up to Reno this Fall. I had a great time there in May and learned a lot from you .
Old 08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Aw, you left coasters are spoiled with billiard table smooth tracks! I like the bumps, it plays to my advantage with the Penske coil overs!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Wow 10 seconds is amazing . What gears do you have in that C6? Is it a z51? I'm usually in 4th on the straights is why I ask and I think the z51 C6's have the same gears as the c5zo6. Actually I guess if you don't have an oil cooler its not a z51.

How you doing Bill? I hope to get back up to Reno this Fall. I had a great time there in May and learned a lot from you .
Doin' Good. I had a blast doing a full day's instruction with you, considering that at the end of the day you were turning faster times than some of the advanced group.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Aw, you left coasters are spoiled with billiard table smooth tracks! I like the bumps, it plays to my advantage with the Penske coil overs!
Hummmmm, wasn't Lime Rock just repaved?
I heard NHIS was last rapaved during the civil war.

You need to take a vacation, come out here and do a 3 track sweep, Sears Point, Laguna and ThunderHill. Probably have to soften up the Penske's.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm usually in 4th on the straights is why I ask and I think the z51 C6's have the same gears as the c5zo6.
I'm a C6 Z51 and in fourth on all the straights. I'm always torn over carrying fourth over T9... and always question whether I should use second over T5 (Cyclone) since it's impossible to put the power down coming off the hill off camber.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 AM
johns68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drop into 3rd for T9. General logic for T'hill is "you're turning in too early for every turn ... except T9, there you're turning in too late" T9 is a very early apex, get on the power turn.

I also stay in 3rd for T5 ... lets me stuff the throttle before the off camber "bowl" at the bottom. Let it drift out to mid-track as you come down off T5, and line yourself up with the right hand berm before approaching T6.

I was crewing for a friend this weekend, didn't drive the new pavement ... but alot of folks aren't happy with the new berms. A NASA SU Ferrari was scraping his ground effects on the berms on turn in. If you use the approach berms to help your car turn, you'll have some trouble ... the run-outs on exit are still nice, according to reports. Looking forward (I think) to driving the new pavement next month.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johns68
I also stay in 3rd for T5 ... lets me stuff the throttle before the off camber "bowl" at the bottom. Let it drift out to mid-track as you come down off T5, and line yourself up with the right hand berm before approaching T6.

The "bowl" used to be full of patches and pavement changes, is that all smooth and clean now?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Fred - it was great to meet and chat with you on Friday (I was driving the white/red GTM)! Was nice to see a few Vette's out there bothering all those Porsches!

The asphalt at Thunderhill is the best I've ever seen on a track - immaculate. The grip wasn't super high IMHO, but I had not been there before so I don't know what it used to be. I expect as the asphalt cures completely and rubber starts getting put on the track, there will be more grip to be had out there.

The curbs were a little steep and my car didn't like them at all, so I stayed away. Be nice if they come back and grind them down a bit. The biggest issue I had though was people kicking huge amounts of dirt/rocks up onto the track and then it was REALLY slick!

Have fun with your new sticky tires - it's a great track. Maybe I'll see you out there in December!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Stock gears with the F55 Bill. I hit 4th on both straights and between 9-10. Coming up over 9 is a bit scary for me . . . my suspension is completely unloaded if I don't actually get out of the throttle a little at the crest/apex of 9. I have to let it settle at the bottom before I can touch the wheel. You'll see me swing WAY left between 9 and 10.

For the first time ever I was actually having trouble in T8 last week! It wasn't until the end of the day I realized that my dull brain was using an outside cone as a turn-in reference which put me WAY wide onto the T8 runoff. I was probably turning in 10 yards too late! I haven't a clue why the cone was there but it sure messed with my senses.

Originally Posted by mikahb
Hey Fred - it was great to meet and chat with you on Friday (I was driving the white/red GTM)! Was nice to see a few Vette's out there bothering all those Porsches!

The asphalt at Thunderhill is the best I've ever seen on a track - immaculate. The grip wasn't super high IMHO, but I had not been there before so I don't know what it used to be. I expect as the asphalt cures completely and rubber starts getting put on the track, there will be more grip to be had out there.

The curbs were a little steep and my car didn't like them at all, so I stayed away. Be nice if they come back and grind them down a bit. The biggest issue I had though was people kicking huge amounts of dirt/rocks up onto the track and then it was REALLY slick!

Have fun with your new sticky tires - it's a great track. Maybe I'll see you out there in December!
Same Mikah. You guys have a gorgeous machine. Yea, there was a fair amount of debris on the track several times last Friday. Fortunately none of it done by me, although my T8 antics almost sent me up the hill once. The concensus from the NASA guys I talked to was that the track is still pretty greasy, but what a sweet piece of asphalt.

My plan is to be up there, or somewhere, every month or until my kitchen pass expires!

FM
Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 AM
errance
Pro

The R888s seem to be a great tire, but they're certainly pricey in stock sizes. But Toyo is doing us a great service to even offer them in OEM sizes.
Could you please tell me where you purchased them?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock gears with the F55 Bill. I hit 4th on both straights and between 9-10. Coming up over 9 is a bit scary for me . . . my suspension is completely unloaded if I don't actually get out of the throttle a little at the crest/apex of 9. I have to let it settle at the bottom before I can touch the wheel. You'll see me swing WAY left between 9 and 10.
I was testing some KONI 3013Sports there and had the same issue when I hadn't wound enough rebound in to the shocks. It was pretty scary as the front end would come up so high I was blind cresting the hill for a second... then the same as you describe, wait for it all to come down and settle.

For the first time ever I was actually having trouble in T8 last week! It wasn't until the end of the day I realized that my dull brain was using an outside cone as a turn-in reference which put me WAY wide onto the T8 runoff. I was probably turning in 10 yards too late! I haven't a clue why the cone was there but it sure messed with my senses.
I try not to base anything on the cones. Visit to visit, week to week, day to day, hour to hour, lap to lap... they move. Try to pick a patch on the pavement or a braking marker or a burm or something quasi-permanent for my reference points.

I'm going to have to re-learn T8 because I always based that turn on the patches at the right side of the track. I hope there's still a bunch of run-off at corner exit there. :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Thunderhill silky smooth

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunderhill silky smooth