Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie down to trailer???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tie down to trailer???

Which part of the car do you tie down to the trailer in the front and rear?

Is using chains O.K.? Gary recommended using steel cables. That would work if it were my trialer, but I am renting. Rachets with straps seems like a good idea, but I am not sure where to it to so I would not damage the car.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search, look for T- or J- hooks. They fit in the jacking puck slots.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Use the factory tie down (t-hook) spots. They are located on the frame in between the tires on each side.

Get some tie down straps with snap hooks then a T-hook. Unless you can ratchet it down I would not use it. Nothing else is going to prevent the car from moving around.

I got mine HERE for $5.95 each.

Depending on how fat away your tie down points on the trailer are I recommend crossing at least the front straps.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

For towing I use t-hooks from Northern tool and Straps from Mac. In the future I will replace the twisted hooks with flat hooks because they will sit better under the car, but for now these work fine. The t-hooks go directly into the frame of the vette. I cross the front straps and the rear straps. When tight the car is pretty secure.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Be sure to get a short strap on the ratchet side so it doesn't go under the car. You'll also need a twisted hook on the ratchet end and a flat hook on the strap end.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree on the J-hooks in the factory slots. I used to use straps through the wheels, but the J-hooks are so much easier and secure, in my humble opinion.

Don't use chain. Too difficult to tighten up, and too much of a chance of banging up the car, not to mention the weight. Depending on how much room you have on your trailer, consider getting the ratched end that has the snap hook connected directly to the ratchet, rather than with the short strap. Makes everything easier.

Good source for straps, ratchets and hooks is either Summit Racing or TruckNTow.com.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why everybody is against cable or chains. You're only going to use them at one end of the car and use ratchet straps at the other. It can be a huge aid in locating the car in the same spot on the trailer repeatedly without screwing down something on the bed, or using a Sharpie. It also reduces the moving part count which seems to always reduce the failure rate.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM
kermooni
Racer

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I use long axle straps through the wheels connected to straps front and rear. Rears are crossed, fronts are straight

I've seen trailers with chains connected to t-hooks for the front and straps with t-hooks for the rear. The front chain is fixed and they pull the car to the rear with the straps, tightening both the chains and the straps. This looks interesting......

John

Get notified of new replies

To Tie down to trailer???

Quick Reply: Tie down to trailer???