Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher?

I'm relocating the location of my fire extinguisher. I'm getting a Brey-Krause mounting bracket for in front of the passenger seat; a Safecraft billet mounting bracket with a pull-pin release; and I'm buying a new fire extinguisher.

My friend mentioned I should get a 5BC rated fire extinguisher. The Safecraft fire extinguisher shown with the billet mounting bracket is a model PB 2.5 lb Halon 1211.

Is the Halon fire extinguisher 'comparable' to a 5BC rating? Will this Halon fire extinguisher comply with NASA requirements or should I find a true 5BC rated fire extinguisher that will fit the billet mounting bracket I want to use?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You might consider one of the new Halotron extinguishers. They're legal, compatible, and they won't destroy any of the computers so liberally sprinkled throughout our cars.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks...I'll check into Halotron extinguishers. I hadn't heard of those before. I checked NASA regulations and evidently, the 2.5 lb Halon 1211 is OK. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'm relocating the location of my fire extinguisher. I'm getting a Brey-Krause mounting bracket for in front of the passenger seat; a Safecraft billet mounting bracket with a pull-pin release; and I'm buying a new fire extinguisher.

My friend mentioned I should get a 5BC rated fire extinguisher. The Safecraft fire extinguisher shown with the billet mounting bracket is a model PB 2.5 lb Halon 1211.

Is the Halon fire extinguisher 'comparable' to a 5BC rating? Will this Halon fire extinguisher comply with NASA requirements or should I find a true 5BC rated fire extinguisher that will fit the billet mounting bracket I want to use?

Thanks for your help.
Being an Amerex dealer, I know Amerex 2.5 LBS Halon extinguishers have a 5LBS UL rating. The Halotron 1 only has a 2 LBS UL rating. Halon is still the best out there for a no mess extinguishers. NASA doesn't seem to specify any minimum UL requirements for a portable extinguishers. I believe SCCA has a minimum requirement of 5 LBS UL rating. Here's a video about Halotron 1 extinguishers.
Dan

www.vetteworksonline.com/videos/Amerex_WS.mov

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...39a381bd46a746

Get notified of new replies

To Fire Extinguisher?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher?