Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who remembers this 73 greenwood racer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
roadkillracing
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who remembers this 73 greenwood racer?

I am in the process of restoring this 73 greenwood wide body back to road race trim for vintage racing. It had been converted to a drag racer, but luckily most of the road race bit were retained. It may have a southwest history, and may have trans am or imsa in its past. ok guys somebody must remember its distinctive paint scheme.

Last edited by roadkillracing; 08-30-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: fix pictures
Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try looking up Lance Smith. He's in San Diego now (used to be around Philly). At one time or another, he's owned most of them.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Lance is a good source, also try the Greenwood site. My car started out in 1970 and became a widebody in 75. There were no widebodies in 73, 75 was the first year of widebodies, just some info to assist in your history search. ACI made Greenwoods early bodies. Ecklers made the later bodies. They appear to be Ecklers.
Second note it probably will not qualify to called a "Greenwood" widebody, but if you can find the history that will sort out. Either way love the C3's and good luck on the resto.
Contact me if you would like to talk, I can hook you up with people who know more than I do.

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 09-01-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:27 PM
roadkillracing
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies. Lance looked at a whole set of photos and although he did not recognize the car, he verified it to be a "first generation greenwood body" and an early car. It was sold to me as a 73, but who knows? It could have been transformed later. It may not be a 73 at all. Lance guesses it to be pre 75 scca . Updated in 77-80(6 piston brake cal. ) Greenwood susp. mods and dry break for either trans am or imsa. There is some indication the car may have been yellow at some time.

I contacted Greenwood, sent pics., but even though Ive called several times, no information has been forthcoming.

No matter what the history turns out to be , this car will see racing again. Ive been involved with vintage racing and corvettes for 20 years. (SVRA Paine Webber enduro. championship 1998 with a 57) This is the fun part. thanks again.

send me your email or phone no. Id love to talk about this project.

Last edited by roadkillracing; 09-01-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

It very well could be a 73, "converted" to a wide body later. What I was pointing out on mine is it is a 70 SCCA car converted to a widebody in 75 with a rear clip replaced after a crash in 77. That's why when people ask what year it is I say 70 to 84.

I would go with Lance's dating, he is one of the most knowledgable people around on Greenwood parts/bodies and cars.

Again good luck with digging up the history, It took me 4 years to find the original builder/drivers of my car, then all the doors flooded open with it's background. If you can find the driver, Pete Hylton is the archivist at the Watkins Glen Museum and Library where SCCA and IMSA records are maintained, he will at a small fee dig up the history by driver by year.
I hope you enjoy what looks like a great project
Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
There were no widebodies in 73, 75 was the first year

Nit picker here. My Spirit of Sebring '75, bought from Lance was the first wide body, and first raced in 1974, with the '74 split bumper. I'll go with '74 as the first.

Check the frame # for the year. Mine is a '69 frame done to '74 specs and then built as the 1st Greenwood customer car.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Got me on that one
Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
sundiego
Instructor

IMSA results

http://www.wspr-racing.com/wspr/resu...imsa_home.html

Some SCCA history

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=103

Last edited by sundiego; 09-01-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Getting info from Greenwood may be difficult as both John and Burt are no longer active in the business (their sons are running the place now). They would have been toddlers then. /:\
Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sundiego
thanks for that link, now I have a race result that shows my car finished 11th out of 62 cars in round 10 (November) at Daytona in the 1973 IMSA season....also the top finishing Corvette of the race.....Until today I never knew the car ran at Daytona......
redvetracr
Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM
roadkillracing
4th Gear

Great response guys. Now if I could only find a name, or a race I was sure it was in. The vin no has been removed. I know where the back up no is, just havent done the work to uncover it, yet. thanks again. Mac
Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
sundiego
Instructor

73-84 and I were talking, and he brought up the distinctions among Greenwood cars.

Just because a car has Greenwood parts on it, doesn't mean the purists consider it a Greenwood car. They consider a car built by John and his shop a Greenwood car.

A customer car doesn't refer to a car built with Greenwood parts by a customer, but to the 12 planned, some unbuilt chassis by that name.

http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/CustomerCars.html

I'm not a purist. Any car nut or race fan is under the same banner. We share the hobby whether we own and caretake the cars or are just are passionate about them. He's not

a purist either, but it's good to know where they draw their lines so as to not incur the wrath of the self-rightous.

Last edited by sundiego; 09-01-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by roadkillracing
I am in the process of restoring this 73 greenwood wide body back to road race trim for vintage racing. It had been converted to a drag racer, but luckily most of the road race bit were retained. It may have a southwest history, and may have trans am or imsa in its past. ok guys somebody must remember its distinctive paint scheme.

look at the main roll bar hoop in the area behind the drivers head and left arm/shoulder for a stamping with a number, if the car raced in SCCA it should have a number on the cage which translates to which region first registered the car and in what order.....you might also consider posting pics with the body removed and of the interior....
redvetracr
Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
roadkillracing
4th Gear

You guys are under the wrong impression.I have never said or implied this car was built by John Greenwood. I know better. Its a corvette chassis car with an awful lot of greenwood parts on it. I dont know what it is, thats why I asked you experts. At this point it is an old race car being restored to race again. Lance says its a greenwood body, and thats good enough start for me. It would be nice to find some of the history to aid in knowing how to restore it. I have restored and raced imsa cars before, but it isnt usually this hard.

One question. What do you call a triumph or mg with a Devin body? Is it not a devin triumph or mg.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Sorry. It was not aimed at your car. It was just Greenwood info. If someone looked at the title of the thread, they might want the info.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

You guys are under the wrong impression.I have never said or implied this car was built by John Greenwood. I know better. Its a corvette chassis car with an awful lot of greenwood parts on it. I dont know what it is, thats why I asked you experts. At this point it is an old race car being restored to race again. Lance says its a greenwood body, and thats good enough start for me. It would be nice to find some of the history to aid in knowing how to restore it. I have restored and raced imsa cars before, but it isnt usually this hard.

One question. What do you call a triumph or mg with a Devin body? Is it not a devin triumph or mg.

I would call it a Devin/MG or a Devin/Triumph.... back when those wide front ends came out EVERYONE called them "Greenwood front ends"...No matter where they came from...
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Nothing personel, but several times a month someone "discovers" a long lost car found in a barn, paid $50 bucks to drag it away and if documented would bring $250k at Barrett-Jackson. Not that it can't happen, but you have better odds of a winning lottery ticket falling from the sky (which actually happened to me BTW....all but the winning part). That said, customer cars # 4, 5 and 9 seem to be unaccounted for. Good luck.

http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/CustomerCars.html

Get notified of new replies

To who remembers this 73 greenwood racer?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Agreed... at worst it is probably a vintage car from a private team as most were during that time. If you can track down the history that will give it an increased value as that will help qualify for vintage races and events and the stories often make the car. If the history is lost and untraceable you still have a great car that will still qualify for many events.
David is not questioning your intent on the car, it is at times confusing as what is a "Greenwood" car, a customer car, or what is refered to as a parts car and it is all semantics.
I'm excited to see another period car and someone who loves it enough to restore it and race it. Alot of the found old cars are parted out and lost forever.

The Greenwood site is a great source and is run by Mike Guyette not by the Greenwoods or Johns sons.
Again good luck...the journey begins......

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 09-01-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Yup, welcome. It's great to see a car in hands that will cherish it.

And holy '70s! That paint job is something people need to see!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Originally Posted by parkerracing
That said, customer cars # 4, 5 and 9 seem to be unaccounted for.

I believe 4 and 5 were never built. He intended to build at least 12 and assigned the chassis numbers in a fairly random way. Mine was the first, but was chassis number 2. The '76 car, built later was chassis #1.

Quick Reply: who remembers this 73 greenwood racer?