Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seat (C6) Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Race Seat (C6) Recommendations

I'm looking for a race seat for the C6 over this coming winter.

Need to be available in red (can't ruin the GS scheme, hehe). The cheaper the better, but I'm figuring something in the $450-750 range.

I'm 6'2", around 185-190lbs, and a 31/32" waist.

I fit in the stock seats with helmet ok.

I've sat in the EVO PLUS (fit fine) and a Sparco Fighter, of which I liked both.

My car isn't a daily driver by any means, so I might just leave the seat(s) in full time.

What Kirkey (model#s) is everyone running? Seems like a pretty good seat for the price.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rob Willis; 08-28-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Cobra Suzuka, teamtech harnesses and Hardbar seat rails (done specially in white for me! - thanks Gary). It's all rock solid, light, strong and looks great. I don't know if you can get the seat in red or not, but... well, you be the judge. I'm 6'3", 195. It fits perfectly.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the new Sparco Sprint. It is a steel tube seat, which means it's heavier than the fiberglass seats (still lighter than the stock seat though), but it is MUCH stronger than the previous Roadster fiberglass seat I had.

After owning a fiberglass seat for about 2-3 years, I personally never want one again. It slighty cracked in one spot and made creaking noises all the time. You had to be carefull about apply to much pressure on the side bolster getting in and out as you could literally break the seat. I would do Kirkey before a fiberglass seat again. That is what attracted me to the sprint...strong steel, great side bolsters, cheap and will accomodate easily 35" waist. I can lean with all my pressure on any part of the seat and it is solid as a rock.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I put a pair of Sparco Roadsters in my 05 C6, mounted on the Pfadt rails. Instantly knocked 60lb out of the car. The Roadster is a crossover seat: good for trackdays, acceptable on the street. It is built to FIA standards but was never certified as such. I ran a Sparco Evo II in my 02 Z06, but got fed up with it after a week, because getting in and out over the bolsters was a chore.

Of course, if it's track only, then the Evo or (even better) the Corsa would be preferrable. Your idea of Kirkey for track-only is a good one.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

THANKS for the pictures everyone.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I bought the new Sparco Sprint. It is a steel tube seat, which means it's heavier than the fiberglass seats (still lighter than the stock seat though), but it is MUCH stronger than the previous Roadster fiberglass seat I had.
Looks like a decent seat for the price. I see ~$300. Looks as if you aren't using hardbar mounts, are ya?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
THANKS for the pictures everyone.

Looks like a decent seat for the price. I see ~$300. Looks as if you aren't using hardbar mounts, are ya?
I bought my parts used from the forum. They were Sparco universal mounts. Unlike Gary's rails, you need to buy the base mount AND the seat rails in combination.

The one draw back of using the Sparco mounting system is that when you bolt the base and the rails together, they sit slightly taller than the stock seat. I am about 5' 10" and with Helmet, my head is within mm of the roof. It never touches, but if I were a 1/4 inch taller, it would be a no go. If you are 6' 2" the sparco mounting system probably won't work. The benefit of the Hardbar system is that you can mount the seat lower in the car as it does not require a base system.

Gary's stuff is first class, I just happened to luck out in finding used parts that fit my application.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:21 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Is it possible to retain the use of the stock 3-pt belts?

General question for all removing stock seat and 3-pt belts on a C5 ... issues about warning lights and sensors driven off the stock seat electrics?
:
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

how about the sprint with a 6'1" and 215, 38" waist? Anyone fit the mold.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Is it possible to retain the use of the stock 3-pt belts?

General question for all removing stock seat and 3-pt belts on a C5 ... issues about warning lights and sensors driven off the stock seat electrics?
:
I had no problem with this on my 02 Z06. Simplay switched the buckle over to the race seat and was done. No idiot lights or other problems.

The C6 was more complicated, but still worked, at least on an 05.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Seat (C6) Recommendations

Quick Reply: Race Seat (C6) Recommendations