Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside tire wear problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Inside tire wear problem

These tires all started equal. My left front is trashed on the inside ...????

My alignment is OK and the same it has been for a long time. Checks OK. Everything else I know of is the same as well.

There is a very slight movement in the left tie rod, otherwise nothing noticeable, hubs are all good. I do notice a slight vibration starting around 95 Mph. It isn't the balance.

The street tires with 10K miles on them look fine.

Any ideas?

I am running -1.6 on the camber, 0 toe and 7.9 on caster.

Left

Right
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about your tire pressure?

Been running on any ovals backwards recently ?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
rbl
Drifting

Tire pressures are all good as seen on the other tires. 38 hot. Only track the trires have been on are VIR-Full.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:10 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There could be a few things that can cause your left front to wear more. The first thing would be that there are more right turns than left turns on the track. Your pressure sounds fine but remember that the pressure will go up as much as 10 psi is your taking more right turns. When the pressure goes up then the tire will wear more on the inside during braking from the 1.6 degrees of negative camber. Your A-arm bushings could be wearing and causing the camber adjustments to move around also.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Rex

How old are the tires ?

and how much use do they have?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Those are the the TOYO R888s right?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
rbl
Drifting

R-888's

4 days at VIR on them ... They were shaved from new.

But the problem is the difference in the tires and the fact that the wear is on 1/2 of the tire.

I had the car aligned yesterday. The toe was in a little but not enough to cause that. Camber was fine too.

I start the tires cold at 30 and put them to 38 when they were good and hot. Never above 38.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

some tire manufactures put two different rubber compounds on the out side skin of the tire.

Wonder if this is the case
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbl
R-888's

4 days at VIR on them ... They were shaved from new.

But the problem is the difference in the tires and the fact that the wear is on 1/2 of the tire.

I had the car aligned yesterday. The toe was in a little but not enough to cause that. Camber was fine too.

I start the tires cold at 30 and put them to 38 when they were good and hot. Never above 38.
The engineer at Hoosier (I know you're running Toyo's) told me to start at 34 psi in the front and 32 in the back, and let them build up to 38-40 psi, then bleed off as required. I had worn off my left front by cording the outside after 4 track days, 2 of which were at Sebring. The engineer told me if I don't run the recommended -3 degrees camber, I have to increase pressure to take the load off the tire. However, in your case, you wore out the inside, which would almost indicate too much neg camber, or a weak suspension component. Possible problems could be a weak spring, poor corner weighting, bad shock, weak spindle bearing. Also, vibration at 95 mph may be part of your concerns and related to the suspension problems.

As an aside, were these used Toyo's that have seen limited track time ? If so, a bad heat cycle could have deformed the tire and be the root cause of your problems. Has it happenned with other tires as well ?

Get notified of new replies

To Inside tire wear problem

Quick Reply: Inside tire wear problem