Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantastic news and results for Over1G-Racing in 2008!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fantastic news and results for Over1G-Racing in 2008!!

All I can say is WOW, what a difference a year can make!!! Last year at this time I was staring at the aftermath of the Pocono accident, something that was not my fault yet took the 2007 Runoff's away from me as well as putting a question mark on even being able to run a 2008 season. Then, due to the incredible support of family, friends and all of you on this forum, 2008 returned to the table. After many hours of overtime in the winter, the donation drive held here, and the incredible rebuild from Phoenix Performance, I returned to the track and won my first National race at NHMS. It was at that point I realized I wanted even more. I threw caution to the wind and decided to make a run at a top 3 in the Northeast Divisional Championship, a big step up from my 2006 rookie season and my 2007 season. If I could make the Runoffs financially I would, but the goal for the year was to do well in Division.

What Rhonda and I accomplished is still sinking in. Now that the last national races around the country have been run, I can finally let the news out! I am happy to say that I have won the Northeast Division Touring 1 Championship!!! It was a long season for us, but we were able to stick through it and do even better than I thought I could in what is possibly the toughest Division in the country for T1. Here is the synopsis and stats.....

After my win at NHMS I was in 3rd place standing wise. After the Summit Point and Nelson Ledges 2nd place finishes I took the divisional points lead. I held that lead from May until a few weeks ago, when Phil Dipippo was able to sneak ahead of me during the Pocono races. During that time I was able to grab my second national win at the Mosport race, taking the pole position and winning it flag to flag. Phil had me worried as it was a track he was good at, but I was able to stay safe and win it. Not able to go to Pocono, I knew Phil would be edging past me in points so a week later we made the trek to Gingerman Raceway for the national race there. Knowing I would have to do well and make it count I put my head down. After taking the pole, I was able to grab win number three this year, flag to flag again, and seal the deal with 60 points. I am honored to win such a stacked division, to follow some of the powerhouses that have taken it before, AJ Aquilante to name one ( he moved up to pro this year and is doing great! )! My consistancy this year was something I did not have in my previous two years. It added up!

I round the year out with 3 wins, 2 seconds, one 4th and a 7th that did not count towards the points. The 7th was at Watkins Glen where I was caught in the rain on dry tires, thus going backwards. I had qualified 5th, only behind heavy hitters AJ, Buttermore, Kahn and Pintaric. I was proud to be where I was. I had 2 pole positions this year. No DNF's, no DNS's and held the points lead for over half the season. We were the only car in division with 3 wins! I could not be happier!

I'd like to thank each and every one of you, whether you donated or not. The support I have recieved from even those I have never met is inspiring. For all of you, this Championship is as much for you as it is for us! After the accident, I had so many questions about if I would be competitive again, if the car would ever be right. A large part of the reason I stuck with it was the support I recieved from all of you. Thanks again. Thanks to the entire Pfadt Race Engineering crew for a wonderful shock that WORKS and is easy to set up, and the confidence in me to let me represent your product. Thanks to Phoenix for taking my car from a broken heap on the flatbed to what I think was an even better car then when we initially built it. Kryderracing for always being there when we need you and Dave Pintaric for your continued help and freindship. Dave Sanders, Phil Dipippo, Jason Berkeley and the rest of the guys in NEDiv, you guys keep me honest on track! And last but never least, thanks to my wife and crew chief Rhonda, for keeping my mind in the game and never doubting me. Couldn't do it without her, after all, we are the team!!

The only downside to this outcome is that I have burned all of my budget up chasing this. I will not be attending the 2008 Runoffs. It's pretty odd, the year I do the best I've ever done I can't make it to the big show, but at least I controlled that this year, no one else. I can live with that!

We are working on pics and more videos for the site, I'll keep everyone posted. Right now, there is some good rain racing video of the NHMS win uploaded. Enjoy!

Joe Gaudette

www.over1g-racing.com
Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 PM
dsanders
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Joe! I hope you and Rhonda enjoy this.

And yes I will be coming after that target on your back next year.

Dave
T1 - 73
Old 09-08-2008, 05:12 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is an awesome story and an incredible accomplishment. Good to know that friends, family and the forum played a part alongside some obviously talented driving. Congrats

Steve
Old 09-08-2008, 05:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Congratulations, Joe ... too bad you couldn't run for the National crown ...
Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good results from hard work is always a good story
Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats Joe
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang joe, that was quite a read. i knew you'd be right up there with the big boys given a fresh car.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Well done Joe...I could not be happier for you!!!!!! We'll miss you at Topeka!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

The only downside to this outcome is that I have burned all of my budget up chasing this. I will not be attending the 2008 Runoffs
Who wears the panties now !? Jeez, crack out the effin credit card and go play with the big boys. Budget? Wha? You can blow over $20k on going to races that not too many people attend then not represent at the Grand Finale ? Comon! Doooo it! No time like the present. My advice, do the Nationals this year before there are more and more and more C6's in the series You know that next year the C6's will be dominating even more.

I'm positive that there are quite a few people that will send you a check to make sure that you're there. Ante up. Don't be a gurlie mon.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know what you are braggin' about...it's only the Northeast Division crown. I mean, like, I have how many of those? Let's see, let me count...ah....ah....none.

Hmmmm, maybe this IS a big deal!

Good job, kiddo. You made all of us proud.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone! I've updated the site a bit, pretty cool picture right on the home page!

Joe
Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Congrats Joe!!!

I am going to miss you in Topeka.

Oli

Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Congratulations - what a great turnaround! I look forward to meeting you next year at the track!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Joe! Sure wish you could make it to the run-offs!

I knew that, if given an equal playing field, the same tires, and a fresh motor, you would be able to make it to the podium. 3 wins... WOW!!!

Even is "P-car" guys are cheering you on!

Mike
Old 09-11-2008, 11:51 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Joe,

Wow, what an awesome closing chapter on the drama from the end of last year! Great writeup!

Have a good one, (guess that box is already checked ),
Mike
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I am happy to say that I have won the Northeast Division Touring 1 Championship!!!
Congratulations!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations! Most people don't know or understand the commitment and dedication it takes to make it to the top level in any series. It's never easy. Nice job, way to kick some butt! No one ever does it alone. Let me add congratulations to all your team members too.

Dog
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Joe,
Congratulations! So happy to come home and read about your fantastic season.

Sometime next summer I'll be moving your way and joining all you guys in the NE Div. Looking forward to that in a big way.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Fantastic news and results for Over1G-Racing in 2008!!

Quick Reply: Fantastic news and results for Over1G-Racing in 2008!!