Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo SS: front wheel size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default SCCA Solo SS: front wheel size?

Doing some thinking and planning for next year, including investing in some track wheels once I think the tires are the limiting factor

At a recent non-SCCA autox, I saw C5 Z06's running the same wheel front and rear...and I right in thinking that this isn't allowed in SS?

13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Dave OH32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Doing some thinking and planning for next year, including investing in some track wheels once I think the tires are the limiting factor

At a recent non-SCCA autox, I saw C5 Z06's running the same wheel front and rear...and I right in thinking that this isn't allowed in SS?

13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard

Thanks!
That's correct. You have to run 17x9.5 in the front and 18x10.5 in the rear for a C5Z to be legal for SS.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

probably cheating
Old 09-09-2008, 10:59 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by tmak26b
probably cheating
That's a big word I wasn't using It was a NON-SCCA race; I was just asking a general question
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Creative accounting or interpertation?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave OH32
That's correct. You have to run 17x9.5 in the front and 18x10.5 in the rear for a C5Z to be legal for SS.

Plus the offset can't deviate more than +/- .25" from OEM. This includes the width of wheels spacers if used.

Here's another thing...when you go to an Autocross and see something that does not look legal, you have the right to protest if you are running in that same class. However, you will find that on a regional level, most people don't protest stuff and therefore people will sometimes take advantage of this. And another thing to consider...try not to become a "weenie protester". It's one thing to protest an obvious performance enhancer...but if you are protesting somebody because of something stupid such as a cosmetic mod or something else non-performance helping, you may find yourself unpopular amongst your peers...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by thehammer69
you will find that on a regional level, most people don't protest stuff
In this particular case it was just a local club. Definitely aware of the protest mechanism and proper application.

The focus of the question wasn't at all a "hey - they're cheating" but just a check to see if I was missing something. The SCCA rules can be a little convoluted sometimes - or at least seem so to me

Moving up from an MGB that was at best middle of the local DSP pack 10 years ago to an SS Corvette means that I don't expect to be anywhere near anyone that's winning. I just want to be sure that I'm 100% legal.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
In this particular case it was just a local club. Definitely aware of the protest mechanism and proper application.

The focus of the question wasn't at all a "hey - they're cheating" but just a check to see if I was missing something. The SCCA rules can be a little convoluted sometimes - or at least seem so to me

Moving up from an MGB that was at best middle of the local DSP pack 10 years ago to an SS Corvette means that I don't expect to be anywhere near anyone that's winning. I just want to be sure that I'm 100% legal.
The basic rule of thumb for SCCA stock classes is, if the rule book does not specifically say you CAN do it, then you can't. You will have a blast with the Z in SS, great car, beware of Loti & GT3's though.

Just put an alignment on it & A6's.

Last edited by froggy47; 09-09-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
beware of Loti & GT3's though.

Yummmm...taste like chicken...

...unless, of course, they are driven by guys with names like Ian, Gary, Pat or Matthew, then they taste like steak (so I'm told)!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Like Froggy sez: SS will allow only stock wheel sizes, but use any sized rubber you can fit on those wheels. If the AX was an NCCC event then the driver was in 2-J(or II-J).
Also, SS requires OEM brake lines. SS brake lines bump you into ASP.
With a stock C5 I run ASP/2-H due to 17" ZR-1 wheels all around and 295frt and 315rear on ZR-1. I make the trophy bracket but like nipping at the heals of the Z06s on stickies.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo SS: front wheel size?

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo SS: front wheel size?