Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pfadt couple of weekends racing, one at MAM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 AM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Default A Pfadt couple of weekends racing, one at MAM!

Well I recently took a week off from work for a well deserved vacation (in my mind). My dad came home to visit, help me move into my new house, and go racing for the weekend. I have only had an opportunity to race the car twice all year, and they have all been autocrosses. I was itching to get to a road course and test the suspension on a big open track.

I ran a local SCCA event at the Iowa Speedway the previous week (Overall FTD even beating one of the guys I grew up watching win autocross championships Ron Vermulm). The following weekend (Labor Day weekend) there was a NCCC event in Omaha, NE. Perfect weekend for a father and son to hang out and go racing in my Z06!

We arrived Saturday Night in Omaha to a lot full of trailered cars. I had a local member take my wheels down for me in his trailer, and drove my car down there (getting 30.1mpg average). I knew a few cars would be in my class, but you know how it goes when you see an unfamiliar car that looks well prepared, you get a little anxious. This one happened to be a 2004 CE Z06 with ZR1 wheels, and new 315 V710 tires front and rear, exhaust, and some other track parts. I knew I'd have my work cut out for me!

Sunday morning arrives, and we head to Mid America Center for the low speed autocross. It's a fairly open, yet technical track. Looks like it could be a good C5Z06 track, but might also be just enough room for the C6 Z06 to get good speed and use that power. By the end of the day I just squeezed by Jeff Herman (2006 C6 Z06 with Pfadt sport shocks) and my dad driving by my car. I think I ran like a 39.6, and both of them ran 40.2s. I was pleased, FTD!

Monday however was at MAM, a very wide open road course where big horsepower, and big brakes rule.

I showed up, and saw a few new faces with serious looking cars including Mr. Terry Bouge in a NASA prepared Z06. He and I both were looking to lower the 2J track record from 1:40.8x. Terry advised he consistently runs 1:38's on track days, but the times on this day would be slightly slower due to the position of the timing lights. We have to drive the wrong way out of pit lane, turn around on the track, and hit the gas, resulting in lower speed at the start of the run than at the end of the run. (I'm just shifting into 3rd gear at the lights to take the start, and coming through the finish I'm using up a lot of the same gear).

Well the event starts, and the times aren't really all that impressive to begin with. My dad ran down to a 1:48 I believe, which may have been the fastest in the first two groups. My group comes up, and I take off on the first run. I haven't been on track at MAM since 2006 racing a Spec Miata, so I'm a little rusty. I still manage a 1:39.8 on the first run, taking the track record for my class.

On my second run, I drop another second to 1:38.8. I am floored at this, I know where I can make up a few tenths, and possibly drop me into the 1:37's! Well my dad had to catch a flight from Des Moines back to the DC area at 6:00pm, so I made two more runs, and about spun on both due to improper adjustments (silly me). I still managed another 1:39.5, darn near spinning on the increasing radius carousel turn. I was soo happy, the overall NCCC record was EJ Poss at a 1:37.2, I was getting closer!

We left feeling pretty good about the weekend. The racing was great, the time spent with friends over the weekend was greater, and the time I got to spend with my dad was the greatest.

Dad also commented several times at how well the car now handled with the Pfadt parts on the car. I see Pfadt shocks on his car in the future...

Thanks again Pfadt for building great products!!!!!!!

My setup:
2002 Corvette Z06
BONE STOCK motor
Pfadt Sport shocks
T1 Sway bars (1st gen, non-adjustable)
Hawk pads
good alignment
Kumho V710 tires

Here are a few pics from the weekend:

My old man

Last edited by BFoster; 09-10-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff sounds like a nice weekend, OT I just got T1 bars, do yours squeak, looking for install/greasing tips.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BFoster
Terry advised he consistently runs 1:38's on track days, but the times on this day would be slightly slower due to the position of the timing lights.

My dad ran down to a 1:48 I believe, which may have been the fastest in the first two groups.

I still manage a 1:39.8 on the first run, taking the track record for my class.

On my second run, I drop another second to 1:38.8.

the overall NCCC record was EJ Poss at a 1:37.2
Wow, I'd feel pretty good to - considering that experienced track day guys in NEW C6 Z06s only run 1:45s.

A local friend with a built C5 who has 1000s of laps at MAM (450 RWHP, Toyos, Wilwoods etc) only runs a best of 1:44.

The SCCA T-1 cars race just under 1:40 - high 1:38 may be the T-1 lap record ($150K new Viper)- you should consider WtW !!!.

Heck, a FAST lap for a well prepped GT-1 car is only 1:35-136.

I know EJs car pretty well - had no idea it was that fast !!!

Wonder how the CCC computed those times ???

Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I was actually hoping to see you there that weekend, I'd love to see that beautiful C4 you've got!

The Cornhuskers have the start/finish timing lights on the straight right next to pit lane, due to not having enough cable to run them all the way to the MAM start/finish... (Plus there would be issues trying to get all the cars off the track after their runs).

I sure wish I had a harness bar in the car, so I could mount a camera and have something to watch!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Good stuff sounds like a nice weekend, OT I just got T1 bars, do yours squeak, looking for install/greasing tips.
My bars don't squeak too badly actually, and only a little bit of grease was used to install. Other than that I don't have much to tell you, I may be one of the few and the proud that doesn't notice a major squeak from the car!

Get notified of new replies

To A Pfadt couple of weekends racing, one at MAM!

Quick Reply: A Pfadt couple of weekends racing, one at MAM!