Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing heats up at NASA Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I was just talking to Ken (L98 Terror) and he said it rained pretty good for qualifying and the race.
Hopefully it dries up for the weekend.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:53 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's not much to report for the C4 guys. We're struggling...
Cisler (Scaryfast) and Rich Wilson both had "offs" in the Q race yesterday and Chris Herrick and I finished in the back.

The good news is that the first two races just set the grid for Sunday so all is not lost. My car is pretty good in the dry so we'll see what today and tomorrow bring.

My prediction for today is a damp Q session and a DRY race. (I hope I didn't speak too soon)

Oh yeah, if you haven't had the pleasure to pit w/ the Pfadt Crew you're missing out! Great people and Aarons' mom makes the best lunch in town.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I think the real question on everyone's mind is, did you guys sleep at the track?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

from over in the NASA nationals forum

Announced at dinner tonight:

2009 and 2010 Nationals to be held at Miller

2011 and 2012 Nationals to be held at Mid Ohio
Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

That statement brought mixed reviews from the huge crowd of National attendees. Lots of "booos" and lots of "yeaa".

Figuring out how to efficiently move the race team out there. Anyone want to one of their garage suites for a season or two ?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am rooting for all the Vettes at Nationals and especially for the Phadt car.

I wish I could of been there but business kept me at home.

I love that great news, I am 70 miles from MMP and may be moving much closer next spring If that happens I am going to build a really good size and exceptionally well equiped shop at the new place, no room to expand here or I would(I do have 1k sq ft, heated, insulated, lift, cage building gear, etc for now so can't complain

I will definitely finish my car this winter now but will just be running TT at least most of the season if not all of it, will see how I do at that level before I consider moving up to W2W.

Good luck all!!!

Rick
Old 09-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

The big talk now is that we might actually have a partially dry track for the qualifying race at 4:00 today. Ken's mantra is "hope and change!" Here he is on track and on grid...

If the afternoon stays dry, Danny Popp will likely run his ST2/TTS car in the final Time Trial session and try to take the TTS title from the current leader Jarred McGillicuddy.

I qualified in 4th today with a 1:59 behind Danny and both of the Panoz's. But I managed to stay out of trouble (and out of the sand!) which was my goal.

Geff Sawtelle made some set up changes and will be out this afternoon for sure. The TTS title is clearly still up in the air. It looks like no matter the outcome, I'll be paying out a lot of contingency money!

As for Nationals being at Miller for the next two years we are extremely excited. If you guys all come out, we'll put on one helluva party!

-Aaron
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

just took a call from the RAFT gang and a new TTS record was set for the weekend @ 1:31.2 . And, well, it was unexpectedly, in someone else's car other than his own.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
just took a call from the RAFT gang and a new TTS record was set for the weekend @ 1:31.2 . And, well, it was unexpectedly, in someone else's car other than his own.
1:32.2 Looks like the track dried out

Think that is James Forbis's car #69
Old 09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I think James' car is an ST2/TTS car and Danny's is an ST1/TTU car. RAFTRACER could get a triad. Pray for dry.

Last edited by Bink; 09-13-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Danny set fastest time of the race, and finished 1st in ST1. It looks like James was having a problem since he didn't complete one lap. David Pintaric won ST2 in his Viper.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
1:32.2 Looks like the track dried out

Think that is James Forbis's car #69
Talked withy Jeremy, and Danny raced TTS in Forbis's car that came in well over the 8.65 he was allowed, somewhere in the 8.9 range, and still took the other S cars to task. So as it stands Popp leads TTU and TTS and has to be the favorite to win ST1 as long as it's dry.

Jeremy said that James car has a mechanical issue that came up during ther race, but looks like the have all the necessary parts to get him going again.

Last edited by Axelrod; 09-13-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

So James should run tomorrow?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How's SpectatorRacing doing?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's to a great event! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted....good luck!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Yes, the RAFT machine of Forbis will be in full force again. If the photos don't do this event justice, I don't know what will. Many thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello. We're elbow deep in grease and gear fluid as you can see. Many thanks to the Qik Nip racing for making us a tremendous dinner in the midst of the wrenching battle. If anyone has ever seen a diff replacement take place on a garage floor in less than 4 hours-- hats off to ya'. Wow. The RAFT gang is one well rehearsed machine!

Many thanks to SCCACorner worker for providing moral support and some guidance along the way. Without the extra set of hands and beer, we don't know what woulda happened.

RAFTRacer did a screaming TTU session and knocked the bottom out of a 1:27 for another FTD. Then, in the ST1/ST2 race he moved up nearly 15 places to finish 3rd overall. He was knocking off Super Unlimited cars when the 20 minute sprint race ended. Tomrrow will be interesting when the 40 minute event takes place. With a few more laps-- who knows what will happen.

Last edited by RogueVette; 09-14-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:24 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Hey Aaron,
I am practicing walking down the isle tomorrow. Sure hate missing this race! Good Luck to all...even Mayer.
Robert Finlayson

you are a good man Bob! you're liitle girl only gets maried oncce ( hopefully). still sucks she changed the date on you.

See you at next years event at Miller, just over a few 13,000ft passes away from me.

Aaron have fun go fast and thanks for taking the time to talk with me last week...look forwadr to doing more buisness with you. For now, kick some A$$ out there!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing heats up at NASA Nationals

Old 09-14-2008, 01:03 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

More photos - please !!!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid-Ohio Road Course is approx. 2.5 hrs. from DTE Powertrain. Since it had been about 7 years since I had been there, plus the fact that Aaron Pfadt and Geoff Sawtell both run a version of our C5 Corvette Road Racing Differential, I took the day off Saturday to drive on over to meet them and give them product support if needed.

The weather was sour on Saturday morning when I got there at approx. 11:30 am and I got a chance to watch one qualifying session of Aaron's class. I sat at turn one just outside of the tunnel and a number of racers were having to tip-toe through that corner to avoid spinning out in the rain. Throttle modulation was key in that area for sure or else you were in the grass!

Later on in the afternoon, the Sun started peaking out, the breeze picked up and the weather made a turn for the better. The track dried out and it was "full-on" again for everyone after that.

I stuck around and watched one of Aaron's timed races, amoung a few other races and it was good racing for sure! More than one racer found themselves in the sand since the track was dry, but washed of rubber for less grip and one late model Mustang in AI puked all it's engine guts in a mosquito fogging smoke-screen! Heck, I think I even recall seeing Aaron mow the grass a couple of times!

I met Aaron, his wife, his shop crew and Aaron's parents while there and to anyone who hasn't met these people personally, they are true professionals in their field and very nice people overall. Plus, since Aaron and Josh are fellow engineers, obviously, we have some very interesting conversations that both of us usually learn from, as they have the ability to datalog the racing data that we're looking for to further improve upon our road racing differentials. Good folks for sure and it's a pleasure working with them.

Geoff is a good customer of ours and it was good to hang with him in the paddock to assist where I could. Good guy he is.

No drivetrain issues with either racer using our driveline products, the weather is better and everyone is a happy camper over there. All-in-all, I had a very good time and I need to take a break from work more often to get out more. It was fun!

Good luck to Pfadt Racing and Geoff Sawtell on Sunday- be safe out there and have fun!

Regards,
Phil
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Group D Championship race at 11:10 AM EST

http://www.nasaproracing.com/schedul...8/national.pdf

Live timing and scoring
http://www.drivenasa.com/liveresults/

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing heats up at NASA Nationals