Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New BRAKE KIT from PFC....Teaser

Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

Default New BRAKE KIT from PFC....Teaser

I was asked a few months ago to evaluate Performance Frictions new Corvette brake kit. It was originally developed for GM and the ZR1 (along with kits from other manufactureres) before GM ultimately went with the Carbon setup.

Anyway, I just go the car back, and will be evaluating it at the track soon. The kit uses PFC's Indycar/Daytona Prototype calipers, which use 4 huge pads per caliper. The calipers also use steel caps on the pistons to reduce heat transfer.

The calipers shown are the prototypes, and retail units will be painted nice and pretty. I think the raw aluminum looks pretty cool however.

More one I hit the track!

****I'm NOT a Performance Friction dealer, and am not being paid to promote this product. I live close to their facility, and they needed a Corvette to evaluate****

Last edited by davidfarmer; 10-12-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

screw paint.. thats HAWT!!!!

good luck "Testing" I know how much you must hate it
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

damn david. It looks like a tank.

How big is that rotor??
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Which caliper is this one? ZR31?

Either way, looks mighty purty!

4 piston calipers with differential bore sizes? Larger bore sizes in front, and smaller bore sizes for rear calipers? With 360mm rotors in front and 370mm rotors rear (might be different as I specced slotted only rotors)?

The kit I just had installed had a center line to outside of caliper of 204.7mm for rear, 199.9mm for front, unless they sent me overly large sizes to ensure I could get wheels for it quickly.

Your post had me intrigued as the shop I bought my kit from placed the order about a month or so ago; and what clinched the deal for me was that they were originally designed for the ZR1...

If they are the same, man I can't wait to get out and bed and test them tomorrow!!

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 10-08-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I saw that at PRI, very nice setup. BTW, the calipers are not bare aluminum, they are nickel plated as are most all of PFC's calipers.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG ... what about those HOLES ...
Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

They are not holes, they ae little dimples.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

Car showed up late last night, and I assumed it was bare aluminum. Either way, production units are supposed to be painted (or so I've been told).

yes, it is the ZR31 caliper.

OKsweetrides, I was under the impression that the kit had not been sold yet, as this kit was actually installed on my car at the PFC factory in SC. I haven't measured piston sizes, but obviously the rear piston area has to be significantly smaller than the front. Like Stoptech (and UNLIKE Brembo), PFC carefully matches piston area to offer balanced bias for each car. This is of major concern to me, and I've been assured the kit is dialed in specifically for the Corvette. These particular rotors are "dimpled", not drilled through. I'm just the guinee pig, so I had no input into the selection.

these appear to be 14" rotors front and rear, but I haven't measured them carefully. I was supposed to get the car back 3 weeks ago, and well, it just came back last night.

As soon as I get some street tires that aren't chorded, OR find some other wheels that clear (my C5Z06 wheels rub the caliper), I'll be hitting the track.

oh, here's the only other info I have. They are supposed to be getting a retail set of calipers for us to test after I burn these up.

Last edited by davidfarmer; 10-08-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Mr. Farmer,

I've been a fan of yours for years and for the knowledge you bestow upon the vette community btw

I elected for their red color and snagged a set of race pads as well (they reserved one of their colors for their race only calipers though dang it). I know of one other kit locally, it's a silver color and arrived at the same time.

My setup just got delivered last week; and they are supposed to be put on today actually. I have no experience with PFC other than falling in love with a set that I saw on a C6 bodied car last year. I got incredibly pissed, and I mean incredibly, at the BBK I ran on the car as I lost all confidence in them (just like some folks in the stock market haha) and felt very unsafe driving; so I needed to cut the problem in the bud.

The only wheels I know for certain to clear the calipers are 18" C10's from CCW; they were incredibly helpful after explaining the dimensions.
If you need a template, I got the templates emailed to me in pdf form and I can shoot them to you.

I'm looking forward to your review of them, as you'll no doubt be flogging them far faster than I'll be able to. Best of luck!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
They are not holes, they ae little dimples.
yep ... made ya look
Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

mmmm, monoblocs.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

looks sweet.

So what are the major differences between this caliper and the ZR33 model for Grand Am? If the ZR31 is for indy car (light weight) and the ZR33 is for grand am (heavier cars), what made them go this route?

Does the ZR33 fit using the c5 z06 rear wheel? Sounds like the 31 does not. I was looking into Hardbar's kit where you can swap between el cheapo c5 rotors and larger 14 inchers (cool setup)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The zR33 is a 2 piece caliper with 2 pads that are thicker than the 4 pad zR31. The 2 piece zR33 has a very cool bridge that allows very easy and fast pad changes. It is slightly heavier than the monoblock 31. I spoke to PFC at the PRI show and asked them why they used this versus the 33. They thought that the 33 would not fit the Corvette wheels (they are correct, but the 06-08 C6Z wheels fit with an 1/8 inch spacer), and they basically like monoblocks better. As far as wheel clearance goes, you need 2.5 inches minimum from the rotor face to the wheel spokes for the zR33 and a little less for the zR31.
For reference, here is the zR33:

zR33 with a $29 C5 NAPA rotor:

zR33 pads versus the stock C6Z pads:

Last edited by ghoffman; 10-09-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Like Stoptech (and UNLIKE Brembo), PFC carefully matches piston area to offer balanced bias for each car. This is of major concern to me, and I've been assured the kit is dialed in specifically for the Corvette.
Just a quick correction here...

Each and every Brembo Gran Turismo brake system is specifically engineered to the vehicle make and model it will be used on. Brembo currently has more usable combinations of calipers (with a variety of piston diameters, all sequentially sized) and disc diameters (with a variety thicknesses and vein designs) than any other manufacturer. The piston diameters, and disc diameters are properly selected and matched to maintain optimum brake bias.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

****duplicate post****

Last edited by Gary_C; 10-09-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Installed

Here's my rear setup. 372 mm rotors 29mm pistons

By crazydrivermike, shot with HTC-8900 at 2008-10-10

Get notified of new replies

To New BRAKE KIT from PFC....Teaser

Old 10-10-2008, 05:44 PM
racerx8
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

They are not holes, they are little dimples.
Ball milled IIRC, better than cross-drilled IMHO
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary_C
Just a quick correction here...

Each and every Brembo Gran Turismo brake system is specifically engineered to the vehicle make and model it will be used on. Brembo currently has more usable combinations of calipers (with a variety of piston diameters, all sequentially sized) and disc diameters (with a variety thicknesses and vein designs) than any other manufacturer. The piston diameters, and disc diameters are properly selected and matched to maintain optimum brake bias.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

zR33 pads versus the stock C6Z pads:
That is reason enough right there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New BRAKE KIT from PFC....Teaser