Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Start/Stop button .... doesn't stop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 Start/Stop button .... doesn't stop?

Anybody else seen this? I drive the car, park the car, hit the "off" button, little O light on the button is lit, but the car is still running. If I just sit there for a while (many seconds) it may stop. It started doing this just recently. I haven't figured out what causes this to happen, or what magic I do that makes it shut off. And it's not 100% reproducible. If I hit the Off button again the car will turn on Acc mode. Hit it again and O lights up but the car can keep going.

Disconcerting...
Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1884965

Talking to myself; looks like maybe the kind stealership did an "uprgade" for me. I'll have to play with pressing and holding the off button. The weird thing is I've had the car keep running with the tach at 0...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:36 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

This is getting worse. Yesterday morning I found myself with a dead battery after having the "stop doesn't stop without fiddling extensively with the button" the night before. The press and hold the off button helps a bit, the frequency I see the problem is less.

It's very annoying. Anybody seen this, or other reports of this? Looks like I'm destined to lose the car to the dealership for a while...
Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help, but at times my car wouldn't shut off because it wouldn't recognize the fob in the car.

I subsequently realized that with my phone charger plugged into my console DC outlet it would interfere with the fob reciever...one of those strange side effects of having keyless ignition...

Its a long shot, but do you use a cell phone charger in the car?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Good thought, but no. I haven't had any fob recognition issues outside of when the battery had run down... then I had to use the little escape lever to open the door!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Good thought, but no. I haven't had any fob recognition issues outside of when the battery had run down... then I had to use the little escape lever to open the door!

You must be one of those people that READ THE F...NG MANUAL.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

That's what happens when you're married to a technical writer. :-) I even knew to re-index the windows after the battery went dead, too.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

You need a Optima battery, series 75. Ever since I put one in my 06 ZO6, my dead battery issues went away. You do need a new hold down strap though, and of course we make one. I have not put it up on the website because I was not sure if anyone would be interested.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

C6 non-Z doesn't use a hold down strap; it uses a little piece of plastic on the bottom of the battery with the back lip of the battery caught under another lip on the battery tray.

Anyway, I put a brand new Yellow Top in the car. I'm still having the Stop issues. Went out just now to take the car for a ride and found the battery at 6V so it's back on the charger, we'll see if this battery is worth the $200 it costs.

I guess I'll have to drop the car at the dealership this week and hope they can figure out what's going on...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
DonBuralli
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

what year car? i had this happen only once. mine is a 08. I did however had many door issues where i needed to end up having the entire door module replaced becaue the buttons were not working and when i closed the door the window would go up and down and up and down constantly. I had to regularly use the lever to open the door. Just for ****s and giggles just hold the bottom left down to turn it off like you normally do. and put your foot on the brake also. See if that does anything. If not take it to the dealer. Im sure theyll fix it.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

2006. M6. I've never had a good experience with an SF Bay Area dealer doing service. The last time the car was in they told me the LBJ was loose causing things to rub on the rim -- reality was 18x11 front wheels need steering limiters, but whatever. :-)
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

This failure was root caused to be the BCM (Body Control Module). They replaced it but requested that I no longer tap power for my radar detector from the rearview mirror with the Invisicord. How a slight parasitic draw on a fused circuit could be the issue, I have no idea.

To further my fun, the drivers door has been sounding a bit odd when opening, today it wouldn't open... it was finally warm out today. The leading edge of the door panel hits the trailing edge of the LF fender panel. Looking under the car it appears somebody mispositioned a lift pad while the car was at the dealer, too... they've crushed the sideskirt near the LF jacking hole. Related? Who knows.

Worth taking it back to the dealer and ranting? Or should I just try to get the fender positioned a little forward? Frustrating.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghoffman
You need a Optima battery, series 75. Ever since I put one in my 06 ZO6, my dead battery issues went away. You do need a new hold down strap though, and of course we make one. I have not put it up on the website because I was not sure if anyone would be interested.
I'm definitely interested, how much? Looks like it would be a good product to sell.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

FWIW, the hold down Gary has is for a C6Z. The hold down required for the C6 comes with the battery (cheap plastic), but really could use to be a little deeper to get a better hold on things.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Start/Stop button .... doesn't stop?

Quick Reply: C6 Start/Stop button .... doesn't stop?