Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX SCCA SM2 Rules?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Bones_TX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX SCCA SM2 Rules?

If you were to put Heads, Cam, Long tube headers, and a cage, would you still quailify for SCCA AutoX SM2 class?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:22 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bones_TX
If you were to put Heads, Cam, Long tube headers, and a cage, would you still quailify for SCCA AutoX SM2 class?
Of the items you listed all are SM2 legal except you may have some limitations on the cage. You need to read the rule book to find specifically how many points and how the cage can be legally mounted.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Of the items you listed all are SM2 legal except you may have some limitations on the cage. You need to read the rule book to find specifically how many points and how the cage can be legally mounted.
The cage has to be legal by the GCR (road racing rules), but assuming it is, everything you mentioned is legal for SM2.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Bones_TX
Instructor

So what would keep it out of ASP?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones_TX
So what would keep it out of ASP?
The heads and the cam
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Are coil-overs legal in SM2?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:32 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The other thing to watch is the interior, basically you need one. You can't strip it down like in prepared.

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
They keep changine their mind.

I specifically asked Howard Duncan when I bought my QA1's and he said no.

Now they appear to be legal.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Check with Brian Harmer, Solo Tech, SCCA. bharmer@scca.com
Or John Bauer, Tech mgr club racing, at jbauer@scca.com

Please let us know what the answers are.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:50 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
I ran them on both of the cars I ran in SM2 (C4 then C5) and had that question come up on my C5 when I was talking suspension with some friends. Coilovers are fine so long as you don't go changing the mounting points (new a-arms, etc). According to the rules, the upper shock mount counts as a suspension component, so it is free to modify. This means any brackets people use to allow a spherical bearing to be used on the upper shock mount are legal. See 16.1.E.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltborg
I ran them on both of the cars I ran in SM2 (C4 then C5) and had that question come up on my C5 when I was talking suspension with some friends. Coilovers are fine so long as you don't go changing the mounting points (new a-arms, etc). According to the rules, the upper shock mount counts as a suspension component, so it is free to modify. This means any brackets people use to allow a spherical bearing to be used on the upper shock mount are legal. See 16.1.E.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try Raftracer akaa Danny Popp.I believe before he was a road racer he was just an autoxer and was running in SM2.He knows of what he speaks
Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

The SR says "Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the original attachment points. For the purpose of this rule, "suspension" is defined as any item that is designed to move when a wheel is deflected vertically."

By that wording, would a spring not be considered a suspension conponent? And if so, would changing from a transverse leaf spring to a coil-over spring not be changing the attachment points for the spring (even though it doesn't change the attachment points for the shock)?

Based on the SR wording, I'd certainly question the legality of coilovers on the Corvette in SM2.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rhneff
The SR says "Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the original attachment points. For the purpose of this rule, "suspension" is defined as any item that is designed to move when a wheel is deflected vertically."

By that wording, would a spring not be considered a suspension conponent? And if so, would changing from a transverse leaf spring to a coil-over spring not be changing the attachment points for the spring (even though it doesn't change the attachment points for the shock)?

Based on the SR wording, I'd certainly question the legality of coilovers on the Corvette in SM2.
I used to see it the way you see it. SM2 should require the same type of spring as stock as attachment points have to remain the same. But that's not what the SM2 guys say...

Last edited by TedDBere; 10-20-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
ltborg
Drifting

I dug up the old thread I started when I had this question and you can find it here.

Another thread with some good info on coilovers also includes other people who have run them in SM2 and can be found here.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I dug up the old thread I started when I had this question and you can find it here.

Another thread with some good info on coilovers also includes other people who have run them in SM2 and can be found here.
Well I'd certainly listen to Bob at ATI and Stan when it comes to SM2 allowances. So Coil-Overs seem to be OK in SM2 as long as the suspension points are not modified. However:

The ASP rule reads:

Springs must be of the same type as the original (coil, leaf,
torsion bar, etc.) and except as noted herein, must use the original
spring attachment points. This permits multiple springs, as
long as they use the original mount locations. Coil spring perches
originally attached to struts or shock absorber bodies may be
changed or altered, and their position may be adjustable. Spacers
are allowed above or below the spring.

The SM2 rule reads:

All Stock, Street Touring, and Street Prepared modifications are
authorized.

SM2: Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the
original attachment points. For the purposes of this rule,
“suspension” is defined as any item that is designed to move
when a wheel is deflected vertically. This includes shocks and
struts, control arms, steering knuckles, uprights, etc., but not tie
rods, steering racks, and subframes. In addition, shock absorber/
strut upper mounts are to be considered suspension
components.

I can not find springs listed or mentioned anywhere in the SM2 rules. Stock, Street Touring and Street Prepared all specifically state that the type of spring must be the same type and have the same mounting points. The SM2 rules say the "suspension components" must use the original attachement points. But say nothing about "springs" specifically.

If I were reading the rules I would read them as not allowing coil-overs in an SM2 car. If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.

Can someone point me to the part of the rules, or the fastrack listing, that allows the use of coil-overs in SM2?

Last edited by TedDBere; 10-20-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Well I'd certainly listen to Bob at ATI and Stan when it comes to SM2 allowances. So Coil-Overs seem to be OK in SM2 as long as the suspension points are not modified. However:

The ASP rule reads:

The SM2 rule reads:

authorized.

original attachment points. For the purposes of this rule,
when a wheel is deflected vertically. This includes shocks and
struts, control arms, steering knuckles, uprights, etc., but not tie
components.

I can not find springs listed or mentioned anywhere in the SM2 rules. Stock, Street Touring and Street Prepared all specifically state that the type of spring must be the same type and have the same mounting points. The SM2 rules say the "suspension components" must use the original attachement points. But say nothing about "springs" specifically.

If I were reading the rules I would read them as not allowing coil-overs in an SM2 car. If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.

Can someone point me to the part of the rules, or the fastrack listing, that allows the use of coil-overs in SM2?
This is just a guess, but it is why I started asking about this back when I was considering coil-overs. The way I think you can look at it is that you can change the spring type, location, etc. just so long as you are using original suspension points to mount them to the chassis. Mounting a spring around the shock uses the factory shock mounting points for a spring, but they are still the stock suspension points. I know if the rules do not say you can, you can't, but the best way to put this is that there is no stipulation stating that you have to use the original spring mounting points for a/the spring, just some of the original mounting points.

That's how it was explained to me. I can definitely see how that can be considered a loose interpretation of the rules, but in my opinion, they would have left in the rule about changing types of springs directly (like in the SP section) as opposed to saying components are free if they didn't want you doing coil-over swaps. It's kind of how the seat rules have been changing since proper racing seats are fine, but people being stupid and bolting in a cloth covered 2x4 and call it a racing seat is not so good.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TedDBere

The ASP rule reads:

The SM2 rule reads:

authorized.

original attachment points.
For the purposes of this rule,
when a wheel is deflected vertically.
This includes shocks and struts, control arms, steering knuckles, uprights, etc., but not tie
components.

Springs move when a wheel is deflected vertically last time i checked and at least my coil-overs use the OEM mounting location

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX SCCA SM2 Rules?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lancer033
Springs move when a wheel is deflected vertically last time i checked and at least my coil-overs use the OEM mounting location
No doubt they are considered part of the suspension as defined by the movement definition. But my springs use four bolts to mount them to the rear cross member, your springs are mounted to the seats around the shocks.

SM2 rules allow for Stock, Street Prepared and Street touring rules to be applied along with the specific allowances outlined in the SM2 rules. Everything I read in all those sections specifically states the OEM mounting points must be maintained. Going from transverse springs to coil overs seems to me to require a change in mounting point. You are not allowed to "read in to" the rules. If it doesn't say you can than you can't.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm having a hard time seeing the allowance in the rules. They don't use the OEM mounting points for the springs. I must be missing something here. Did coil overs used to be allowed in SM2 but are now not allowed?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
Yes, your coil-overs use the OEM mounting location - but for the shocks, not for the springs. I'm with Ted, and find this a convenient interpretation of the Solo Rules to fit what you want to run on your car that is, IMO, incorrect for the reasons Ted stated.

I see many "opinions" in the threads posted that coil-overs are legal in SM2, but opinions on Internet threads are worth every penny you pay for them and the only opinion that counts is that of the PC in the event of a protest. If you're considering going with coil-overs for SM2, I'd suggest getting a clarification from Topeka before making the investment (Doug Gill, Solo Technical Manager - dgill @ scca.com).

FYI, there were only three Corvettes in SM2 in Topeka this year, I don't know if any of them ran coil-overs but none finished in the trophies so there'd have been no protest to test the theory even if they did run them. And I haven't seen any of the three posting on this forum to enable asking - anyone know Jake Engstrom (AK), Michael Feldpusch (CO) or Chris Burson (FL)?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
steverife
Cruising

Originally Posted by rhneff
And I haven't seen any of the three posting on this forum to enable asking - anyone know Jake Engstrom (AK), Michael Feldpusch (CO) or Chris Burson (FL)?
I believe that Chris Burson was in Lehman's ASP car.

Quick Reply: AutoX SCCA SM2 Rules?