Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacers from Pfadt Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor
Default Wheel Spacers from Pfadt Racing

Pfadt Racing Launches New Wheel Spacers

Why spend thousands of dollars on extra wheel sets when you can now equip your wheels with our light weight wheel spacers. With a stack of these in your race trailer it's easy to optimize just about any tire and wheel combination.

Made in the USA of aluminum then anodized black, these spacers are durable and functional. We have 4 unique kits available:

2 each 1/2 inch spacers. Retail $90. Please note that to properly use the 1/2 inch spacers you will need longer wheel studs. We sell a set of 5 ARP wheel studs for $25.

2 each 1/4 inch spacers. Retail $65.

2 each 1/8 inch spacers. Retail $55.

2 each 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 (6 piece kit). Retail $180.

These spacers will help your wheels fit a variety of big brake packages for maximum track day performance! All sizes are in stock and ready to ship.

A set of 1/4 inch spacers are a quick way to move the wheels on your C6 Z06 out a little and fill out the wheel wells.

Please note that certain wheels and any of our 1/2 in spacers will require longer wheel studs. ARP wheel studs are available and in stock.

-Aaron
Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
C4TOMCAT
Drifting

hi, i have a co-worker that has an 86 coupe...think the offset is 36 or 38 mm. do you have a chart that would show the necessary spacer thickness needed if 94 sawblades were to be used on his car or say 02 Z rims. I believe the 94 offset is 56mm. a chart for the vet years could help in selecting the proper thickness. thanks tom
Old 10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Look nice.

Cast, forged, billet?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My understanding is that C-5 wheels are hub centric with the inside of the wheel bore resting tightly on the raised portion of the hub. This takes a substantial amount of the shear load off the wheel studs. Your spacers do not have raised hubs on the outer edges and all of the shear load will be transferred to the studs. This might be OK in a light duty street application. Do you feel that this is really safe in a track application ?? I have a set of SSR wheels that would require a 1/2 " spacer due to a recent Wilwood BBK installation. I really do not want to sell them. It seems to me that a proper spacer would have the inside machined to fit tightly around the hub and a raised hub protrusion on the outside to accept the shear loading. Please advise.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
My understanding is that C-5 wheels are hub centric with the inside of the wheel bore resting tightly on the raised portion of the hub. This takes a substantial amount of the shear load off the wheel studs. Your spacers do not have raised hubs on the outer edges and all of the shear load will be transferred to the studs. This might be OK in a light duty street application. Do you feel that this is really safe in a track application ?? I have a set of SSR wheels that would require a 1/2 " spacer due to a recent Wilwood BBK installation. I really do not want to sell them. It seems to me that a proper spacer would have the inside machined to fit tightly around the hub and a raised hub protrusion on the outside to accept the shear loading. Please advise.
I've been running the same style spacers (3/8") for almost 2 years now. The spacers with hub protrusion are nothing more than a convenience when putting wheels on. That protrusion is not structural.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, i might be needing them. I am making my mark so I can look for this thread when i am ready.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

You bring up a good point. The wheel bearing flange is in place for centering purposes. The strength of the studs, however, exceeds any necessary load capacity. The 1/8" ones and the 1/4" ones do allow centering on the wheel bearing flange still, but not the 1/2" ones. I, like Wally, personally race with a variety of wheel spacers depending on the wheels I am running and most other racers will tell you the same. I run 1/2' ones quite frequently because I have a set of CCW that have a funny offset in them. I also run ARP wheel studs on my race car which carry the load of the vehicle.

I'll post an FEA in the morning detailing the wheel stud's ability to carry the loads. The hubs are there primarily for concentricity (lack thereof can lead to vibration).

Oh, and these are billet, or more technically they are cut from a flat sheet.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Pfadt; 10-20-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I just looked at my stock rims (z16) on stock hubs. There is a small lip that certainly has a centering effect on the wheel however it does not extend even to the amount where it would be brought flush with the rim nevermind extend past the rim.

I'm not a ME, but I don't think this takes any substantial amount of load off the studs, maybe a small amount.

Someone else take a look at their STOCK setup & see if you agree.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Nice new product, Aaron...

As it happens, SCCA Stock class autocross rules allow for exactly 1/4-inch more offset then stock per wheel, so these spacers would be a good addition to OEM-sized wheels, to reduce any chance of rubbing on the inner fender wells while also increasing the car's track to the limits of the rules.

I'm one of many SuperStock Vette autocrossers that uses stock rims because they're light, cheap and strong. I have 285/18 & 315/19 Hoosier A6's mounted on a set of '08 forged (Gumby) stockers. These wide tires fit my C6 just FINE (barely), but a 1/4-inch more clearance never hurts...

I'll probably try out a set from you soon...

Robert
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I just looked at my stock rims (z16) on stock hubs. There is a small lip that certainly has a centering effect on the wheel however it does not extend even to the amount where it would be brought flush with the rim nevermind extend past the rim.

I'm not a ME, but I don't think this takes any substantial amount of load off the studs, maybe a small amount.

Someone else take a look at their STOCK setup & see if you agree.

It doesn't take a big lip. All you need is enough distance for the inside of the wheel to fit tightly to the hub. Once the wheel is on the hub the wheel studs do not carry any weight. All they do is hold the wheel on the hub thus all forces applied to them are in tension. If the wheel is not riding on the hub then the wheel studs see all of the forces applied to the wheel including shear and tension. The shear force shifts as the wheel rotates so the lug is constantly bending and coupling that force to the hub flange. That may explain the hub flange failure I posted earlier this year.

Bill
Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Over 3/8" you need hub centric was what I was told by CCW and DRM where I got mine. I guess after 3/8" they are no longer hub centric without center being closed to engage the hub and rim. Wider tires equals more leverage. Banging curbs at the track is even more force.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-21-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Load Capacity with Spacers

Wheel Bearing Centering Flange Effect on Shear Capacity of Wheel/Bearing Interface

Introduction
There has been some question on whether the wheel bearing centering flange is necessary to cope with the shear loads seen in the Corvette.

Here is the model that I subjected to testing. The mock wheel flange is transparent in this view to show the wheel bearing flange. The centering flange can be seen in this picture.

Results
The centering flange has negligible effect on the shear capacity of the wheel-to-bearing interface. On closer inspection I found this was because the wheel studs shear capacity is so high, approximately 14,500 lbs, the maximum deflection of the studs with a shear load of 3,100 lbs is 0.007mm. Which is not enough to close the running clearance (0.085mm radially) between the wheel and the wheel bearing. So in this example the centering flange did not carry any load when the wheel was subjected to a load of 3,100 lbs because there was simply no contact.

For the centering flange of the wheel bearing to carry a significant shear load it would require that the wheel studs need to yield a significant amount. This high of a load would undoubtedly cause damage to other components, my money is on the upper control arm, before the centering flange can contact the wheel and carry a load.

Here is the Factor of Safety plot for the Wheel Stud with the lowest factor of safety.

This picture shows the FOS results for a wheel bearing without a centering flange. It can be seen from the picture that the factor of safety is 4.8 The load was 14 kN so the failure load would be 67.2 kN or 15,107 lbs.

Conclusion
If the suspension system and wheel studs do not fail before a load higher then 15,000 lbs then the centering flange may increase the load carrying capacity. At loads lower then 15,000 lbs the wheel studs alone offer the required shear strength.

I hope this short study sheds some light on this topic. Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Just a recap of what Josh so nicely laid out for us in the analysis above. Non-hub centric wheel spacers are not an issue because the wheel studs take all the load (not the centering flange) with realistic wheel loads. Above about 15000 lb-force, the studs will deflect enough to allow a centering, flange if it exists, to take some of the load.

At that type of load in the wheel, several other things are going to break including most likely your wheel and upper control arm.

-Aaron
Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for folks going with after market brakes(any idea?):

For racers who want to run Brembo GTs with OEM rims, what spacer is required to allow sufficient clearance?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:18 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by snitz
Question for folks going with after market brakes(any idea?):

For racers who want to run Brembo GTs with OEM rims, what spacer is required to allow sufficient clearance?
Forgot to mention C5 application. The brembo may not fit on the fronts due to 17" rim?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Aaron - thanks for real world engineering information. It makes me feel a lot better about the strength of the wheel studs in a track situation with spacers.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Spacers from Pfadt Racing

Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Brake Clearance

Snitz,

Most brake manufactures publish a clearance guide for their calipers. Here is what I was able to find for the Brembo GT Front C5.

It looks like 46mm from the wheel mounting surface to the caliper face.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoshS
Snitz,

Most brake manufactures publish a clearance guide for their calipers. Here is what I was able to find for the Brembo GT Front C5.

It looks like 46mm from the wheel mounting surface to the caliper face.
Thanks. Do you suspect the OEM wheel would clear Brembos with a spacer based on that. I know a bunch of folks have a tough time buying Brembo's because of the requirement to also get new wheels to clear. If they can use your spacers instead that would be a great option for many folks!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Brake Clearance

Originally Posted by snitz
Thanks. Do you suspect the OEM wheel would clear Brembos with a spacer based on that. I know a bunch of folks have a tough time buying Brembo's because of the requirement to also get new wheels to clear. If they can use your spacers instead that would be a great option for many folks!
Tom,

My experience is that 14" brake packages and 17" wheels have a hard time fitting together, radial clearance is an issue. Unfortunately I don't have any stock 17" Z06 wheels here to verify fitment.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help on this. I would suggest that someone start a wheel fitment thread at some point and people can post what wheel/brake/spacer combinations fit.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers from Pfadt Racing