Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track people, ? with street/track pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Track people, ? with street/track pads

Do you need to re-bed the track pads everytime you switch back and forth with the street pads? Re-bed meaning like the stop cycles we do when the pads are brand new.

And how long does it take for the pads to closely match the rotor surface again, i.e., just the drive to the track is enough, or after a few laps, or a whole 20-25 minute session?

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

YEs

what many ppl do is have two sets of rotors too. That way they switch the pads and rotors

It is not easy to get one kind of brake pad material off a rotor then bed in another brake pad.

and bedding for track pads should not be some ***** footed easy braking. but getting on the brake peddle hard.

as in several 40 to 5 mph stops, several 80 to 5 mph stops and several 100 to 5 mph stops
Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with that. Next year I will be using two sets of rotors.
I've never been real happy with swapping back and forth.
Swapping rotors only takes a few minutes extra time.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Wilwood Ceramic for street and PF01 for track. The PF is aggressive enough to clean the rotors at the track.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

For my C4 I have track Pads + rotors AND street pads + rotors.
When I switch to the track setup I hit a parking lot at work then the first couple of laps go easy. My Carbotech pads lasted something like 8 weekends for HPDE.

If you use the same rotors I would bed them in each time you change.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
YEs

what many ppl do is have two sets of rotors too. That way they switch the pads and rotors

It is not easy to get one kind of brake pad material off a rotor then bed in another brake pad.

and bedding for track pads should not be some ***** footed easy braking. but getting on the brake peddle hard.

as in several 40 to 5 mph stops, several 80 to 5 mph stops and several 100 to 5 mph stops
I was hoping this wasn't the answer. Doing the stops aren't the hard part, its finding the place in my neck of the woods to do it; without getting in trouble and running into little critters at night.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

You can use garnet paper to remove the deposits as well. I've read a site or two that had directions for track bedding the pads but can't remember them right now, someone else remember?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
For my C4 I have track Pads + rotors AND street pads + rotors.
Same here. Plus, my track rotors are so fugly, what with all the oxidation. Swapping rotors and pads is now just part of the ritual.

FM
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 986_C6
I was hoping this wasn't the answer. Doing the stops aren't the hard part, its finding the place in my neck of the woods to do it; without getting in trouble and running into little critters at night.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I have the same problem....there is so much traffic here in NJ that even at midnight on a Tuesday night its dangerous to even try bedding brakes. Although its not the right way to do it, I often have to wait to bed my brakes until the first session of my track day. You can definitely tell when they start bedding properly. (ie when one side beds before the other, its like having a gremlin pull your steering wheel to one side every time you touch the brake pedal)

Get notified of new replies

To Track people, ? with street/track pads

Quick Reply: Track people, ? with street/track pads