Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 vs Z06 vs ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Z51 vs Z06 vs ZR1

Posted over in OT

Originally Posted by Son93SL2
Originally Posted by Chuck A
did i hear him say that the zo6 should exist, WTF , i guess its either the z51 or the zr1
Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Posted over in OT

Each car was successively 2 seconds faster than the one before. The price jump from the C6 to the C6 Z is relatively the same as from the Z to the ZR1. What's not to like about the Z?

I love mine and I'm very competitive now at my venue.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:39 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

The ZR-1 is REALLY growing on me. Didnt think I'd like it, but I'm starting to fall for it.

However consider that the Z06 was 2.1 seconds faster on the same crap runflat tires that the base Z51 had while the ZR-1 was 2 seconds faster on a faster tire. Not making any assumptions, but that does speak volumes as to the potential of the Z06 if GM were to give it some better tires and dumb down the driver difficulty at the limit.

I still prefer the ZR-1 though, it sounds great too.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The ZR-1 is REALLY growing on me. Didnt think I'd like it, but I'm starting to fall for it.

However consider that the Z06 was 2.1 seconds faster on the same crap runflat tires that the base Z51 had while the ZR-1 was 2 seconds faster on a faster tire. Not making any assumptions, but that does speak volumes as to the potential of the Z06 if GM were to give it some better tires and dumb down the driver difficulty at the limit.

I still prefer the ZR-1 though, it sounds great too.
I agree!

I race on Hoosiers. They make a HUGE difference in Autocross. 3.7 seconds on 1/2 mile course and 5-6 seconds on a 1-mile course. TIRES make a huge difference.

I raced my '05 C6 Z51. It sucked compared to the Z06.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmmm...I actually like the comparison between the 3 cars, its a good concept and I havent seen it done before.

That being said, I am loyal to my Z06. One, because I can't afford a ZR1 and if I could I probably wouldn't exploit the car's full potential in a track setting. As much as I love to drive my cars, a new ZR1 would probably just lope around town or sit in my garage with me staring at it. I've seen what the track does to any car, and $125K is too much to trash.

Second I had a Z51 and I totally agree that for the track/street combo this is this the combo to beat. But for track only...no, the Z06 trounces the Z51. Its easier to drive, easier to brake and gets away from 98% of the cars out there. It gets respect.

I wouldn't go back for a second. I would however buy either a Z51 or a ZR1 for a second car that would mostly see street duty and get "babied". My Z06 was bred for the track and thats what it gets used for, and I don't regret a second of it.

Anyway you cut it, you won't lose.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very enjoyable clip. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure the ZR1 is bad to the bone, but I'd take a 427 on a road course over a supercharged motor any day. Put a cam, header on the Z with set of coil-overs and T1 bars, Hoosiers...

I guess the C5 guys say the same thing about the C6Z, but with the ZR-1's softer elecronic controlled suspension...that if you put Hoosiers on the car, I am suspect the soft suspension would show it's weakness on the track. I saw a ZR1 in person, and I can tell you just from feeling the tires, they felt r-compound soft.

So, how much of the improved time is actually due to the ZR1 specific Michelin tires? only 2 seconds with another 138hp, Carbon brakes, and r compound "like" tires? I bet the car with stiffer suspension would be worth another several seconds more, but the engineers didn't need to shoot that high to sacrafice daily comfort. So soften the suspension, but slap on stickier tires and another 138hp and bam you have your 2 seconds, which is all you need to beat your competitors, but keep the car streetable.

But for us track guys, I guarantee, we'd pick out that "Cadillac" soft suspension right away. After running the stock C6Z on Hoosiers for a whole season, I couldn't bear the body roll and soft suspension another season. Brake dive was just out of control with the stock car...so while the ZR1 is an awesome ride, I would imagine a moddifed Z06 would work better for the serious track day guru.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
But for us track guys, I guarantee, we'd pick out that "Cadillac" soft suspension right away.
Brake dive was just out of control with the stock car...
I am not really in to street car set-ups but as I was working with a street Viper for a customer I find it interesting to take a look at both the Corvette and Viper supensions. Both cars have pretty soft settings in heave, but the Corvette is a little stiffer and has accordingly less antidive and squat.
No wonder, the antidive is not nearly compensating for the Hz setting
of the front (with the track in mind). I run 2,5 times the stiffness on my (street) Pantera and got some dive problems.
What I would like to know is how the car beahaves in plain heavy vertical loadings (should be even more pronanced than dive). Not really smaller road irregularities, but larger ups and downs. Any commetns here?
Goran
Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

But for us track guys, I guarantee, we'd pick out that "Cadillac" soft suspension right away. After running the stock C6Z on Hoosiers for a whole season, I couldn't bear the body roll and soft suspension another season. Brake dive was just out of control with the stock car...so while the ZR1 is an awesome ride, I would imagine a moddifed Z06 would work better for the serious track day guru.
Don't forget that the magnetorheological shocks on the ZR1 can firm up within milliseconds. It's not as if they took the Z06 conventional shocks and fitted less aggressive valving. Combine those shocks with the ZR1's big swaybars, and you have a more compliant suspension that is not all roly-poly at the track. Those that have driven the car on a roadcourse will attest to this, and even my old C5 with Mag ride is no slouch now that I put decent tires and swaybars on it.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Don't forget that the magnetorheological shocks on the ZR1 can firm up within milliseconds. It's not as if they took the Z06 conventional shocks and fitted less aggressive valving. Combine those shocks with the ZR1's big swaybars, and you have a more compliant suspension that is not all roly-poly at the track. Those that have driven the car on a roadcourse will attest to this, and even my old C5 with Mag ride is no slouch now that I put decent tires and swaybars on it.
All true points, to a certain degree, but if I remember the reviews of the old magnetic system, they said it was not quick enough to react to real road course conditions and overheated easily, hence was NOT an option on the C5Z51/Z06 for that reason. Also, shock valving is no substitute for stiff springs. The car will still dive and roll. Here is the kicker, all your assumption are true...UNTIL you put REAL sticky tires on the car. It is there, where the softer springs will show their weakness.

Hey, so I am obviously trying to defend my Z since I can't afford a ZR1, but unless the ZR1 magnetic systems defies the law of physics, I would say a modded LS7 with stiff coil overs would be pretty hard to beat, even by a ZR1
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=95jersey;1567592028]All true points, to a certain degree, but if I remember the reviews of the old magnetic system, they said it was not quick enough to react to real road course conditions and overheated easily, hence was NOT an option on the C5Z51/Z06 for that reason. [/quote}

True...that's why Team Corvette waited until MR 2.0 was ready for prime time to put it on their flagship.

Also, shock valving is no substitute for stiff springs. The car will still dive and roll.
The ZR1 springs are not T1 stiff, for sure, but it had to maintain streetability. Plus...there are no "valves" in these shocks.

I would say a modded LS7 with stiff coil overs would be pretty hard to beat, even by a ZR1
On a smooth track, sure. On irregular pavement, my money is on the ZR1. Even my lowly F55 equipped C5 is less unstable over bumpy corners than my C6Z06.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:22 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, shock valving is no substitute for stiff springs. The car will still dive and roll.

UNTIL you put REAL sticky tires on the car. It is there, where the softer springs will show their weakness.
Street and track is two different things. It mighe be a good idea to control a few things with the shocks on the street to compromise good comfort vs performance, but on the track we want to use the shocks for other properties. The right spring stiffnes for the race in question will allow for a larger shock adjustment window for track tuning.

Tires are the main factor for the ultimate load possible of the car, aside from downforce. The grip of the tires will therefore dictate much of the suspension set up.
Goran
Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be curious how a C5Z would fare agaist these three
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom03Z06
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably very similar to the Z51.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

I think C5 Z06 is slightly faster than a LS2 Z51, but LS3 Z51 should have an advantage simply due to the power difference.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Originally Posted by tmak26b
I think C5 Z06 is slightly faster than a LS2 Z51, but LS3 Z51 should have an advantage simply due to the power difference.
Having owned both I agree completely with this statement! My 01 C5 Z06 had more aggressive braking, and was a bit stiffer in suspension all around. Handling limits were a bit higher for the Z06. Also it made more power than the factory claimed (dynoed stock at 360 RWHP) and more than my C6 does across the rev range. My Z also had a far better exhaust note at WOT.

That said it was far less of a livable car than the C6 coupe. Fixed roof, playskool interior switches and you feel every seam in the road through the terrible seats (and the C6 seats are a bit better).

Steering feel on the C6 is a bit less vague than the C5Z but still nowhere near as good as a BMW or Porsche or Ferrari.

I like the C6 more though since I can pop the roof off, its a prettier car than the C5, and the interior is much better than the C5's in every respect. Plus the start button and auto-unlock is fantastic, no more fumbling for keys when you get in and out, but a pain at the car wash when you forget to give them to the attendant!

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 vs Z06 vs ZR1

Old 10-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Silverton
Pro

I'm waiting for the review of an LG "JMac" Z06 pitted against the ZR1!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Probably very similar to the Z51.
I used to have a C6Z51 and on the track against my buddy's C5Z06 we were pretty evenly matched in acceleration, and handling. I think he had the upper hand on braking though.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:51 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

...the 04C5Z06, better shocks

Quick Reply: Z51 vs Z06 vs ZR1